Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Silly season at the LAX remote terminal, or paging UAX@SFO :)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2003, 10:43 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

It was silly season at the UAX remote terminal yesterday at LAX....

Was booked on the 4:00pm flight to ONT. Arrived at the terminal to hear them asking for six volunteers to give up their seats.

Went to the podium and said I would be interested if I could receive travel credits instead of the free ticket. The CSR said she'd have to check with a supervisor. OK. I also noted that as folks were giving her their boarding passes for the bump, she was simply numbering them 1-6. I asked if those with status would have priority on the VDB list; she said no, they just take them first come first serve; that's their "policy."

She goes to talk to a supervisor. Comes back and hands me back my boarding pass and said "The supervisor said we don't do that." I politely asked her to have her supervisor look at the profile for VDB and pointed out that their counterparts at SFO UAX have always been happy in my experience to give travel credits instead of the free ticket. She again said "no." I decided not to contest it further.

A traveler who had listened to this exchange asked me what it was I was asking for instead of the free ticket, and opined that he thought a "free ticket to anywhere" was a pretty good deal. I pointed out that the free ticket didn't earn miles and was not good to AK or HI and a few other restrictions re. He said "They ought to tell us that." Agreed.

Time to board. The CSR sent us out the door. No ropes to stop us and the folks at the head of the line started wandering towards a clot of EMB's in the distance. Finally, a ramp agent says "You folks are supposed to be back there." So back to the door. Then whe we get the real release, the ramp agent just pointed to what we all assumed meant three planes that-a-way. But did not lead us there. When we got to the plane, there was a ramp to it and a gentleman in a wheel chair was being taken on board. No agent at the bottom of the ramp, so everyone goes up the ramp immediately behind the gentleman. And of course, a couple of minutes later, they have to shoo everyone back down the ramp to get the wheelchair off.

I suggest that LAX UAX have Kai (UAX@SFO) come down and do some recurrent training

(To be fair, even when they were incorrect, the Skywest personnel continue their record with me of having the most affable FA's and CSR's, especially the former. I continue to think that these are folks who must like their jobs, because it shows)
Old Feb 22, 2003, 4:08 am

Programs: Haven't travelled in ages, so i'm ther lowest of the low in all my programs now
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cblaisd:

(To be fair, even when they were incorrect, the Skywest personnel continue their record with me of having the most affable FA's and CSR's, especially the former. I continue to think that these are folks who must like their jobs, because it shows)
</font>

I have to agree. As someone who travels regularly to SBA from LHR. Just remember to bring your own coffee when you board the bus to the 'portacabin'. That coffee stand never seems to be open when i fly through

Old Feb 22, 2003, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I think that Kai should be the corporate ambassador for UAX. He is a customer service gem as are most of his SFO UAX counterparts.

I also agree that the LAX UAX staff can frequently be less than helpful.
Old Feb 22, 2003, 3:40 pm

Programs: SAS EuroBonus, LH M&M, Finnair Plus, SPG Preferred Plus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jonhansen:

I have to agree. As someone who travels regularly to SBA from LHR. Just remember to bring your own coffee when you board the bus to the 'portacabin'. That coffee stand never seems to be open when i fly through
</font>
ROTFL... portacabin??? That's one of the funniest descriptive phrases I've heard for the remote "shack" in quite some time.

You will be pleased to hear, however, that construction (after many starts and stops) has finally begun on the replacement remote terminal. I don't know the expected completion date though.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by techgirl:

I think that Kai should be the corporate ambassador for UAX. He is a customer service gem as are most of his SFO UAX counterparts.
</font>
*blush*

Can I/we get this in writing? Believe me, compliments do get back to us, and are a substantial part of evaluations, several station-wide awards, etc. Oddly enough, the same day this topic was posted, I received a compliment letter from cblaisd, accompanied by a certificate from SkyWest with the compliment quoted.

But I enjoy helping passengers most, and I've learned a lot from you crazy FTers (including types of upgrades, rules, etc.) . I impressed a supervisor by naming off just four types of upgrades (500-milers, HK49's, cashed-in miles, SWU's). I just can never put it into practice really.

Happy Travels!

------------------
My opinions do not necessarily reflect the opinions of my employer, SkyWest Airlines, or those of our major partners, United Airlines & Delta Air Lines, respectively.

Last edited by UAX@SFO; May 28, 2007 at 12:28 pm
Old Feb 22, 2003, 3:46 pm

uax@sfo: "Portacabin" is a bit of UK (that is, the Queen's) English. It's a brand name of temporary office trailer that is so pervasive that the term has become generic for any temporary office structure
Old Feb 22, 2003, 4:23 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UAX@SFO:
*blush*

Can I/we get this in writing? Believe me, compliments do get back to us, and are a substantial part of evaluations, several station-wide awards, etc. Oddly enough, the same day this topic was posted, I received a compliment letter from cblaisd, accompanied by a certificate from SkyWest with the compliment quoted.

But I enjoy helping passengers most, and I've learned a lot from you crazy FTers (including types of upgrades, rules, etc.) . I impressed a supervisor by naming off just four types of upgrades (500-milers, HK49's, cashed-in miles, SWU's). I just can never put it into practice really.

Happy Travels!
Kai

</font>

I'm taking my first UAX flight out of SFO this Monday ... Look forward meeting you !!!
Old Feb 22, 2003, 10:41 pm

Programs: SAS EuroBonus, LH M&M, Finnair Plus, SPG Preferred Plus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by couscous:

I'm taking my first UAX flight out of SFO this Monday ... Look forward meeting you !!!
</font>
Sadly couscous, I work only Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, on the swing shift. I may trade in a pinch, but I'm also a full time student. My Critical Thinking and Intermediate Russian classes beckon to me on Mondays

However, most of my colleagues are very good at what they do. I promise if you mention my name (definately to a supervisor, just say you know me) you will be treated warmly

Happy Travels!

------------------
My opinions do not necessarily reflect the opinions of my employer, SkyWest Airlines, or those of our major partners, United Airlines & Delta Air Lines, respectively.

[This message has been edited by UAX@SFO (edited 02-22-2003).]

Last edited by UAX@SFO; May 28, 2007 at 12:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.