Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles Award: TN / Air Tahiti Nui award redemptions (master thread)

Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Air Tahiti Nui (TN) is a non-oneworld airline partner of AA. AAdvantage members may use AA miles for awards on TN; members earn miles on TN only if flying TN as an AA marketed / codeshare. AA and TN have expanded codesharing to include CDG, AKL. It is also possible to earn AA miles flying as a Qantas codeshare due to an exclusion from the normal oneworld rule of earning on a oneworld codeshare only if operated by another oneworld airline.

You can now search for TN award availability on aa.com. But you may have to call AA due to some aa.com anomalous behavior. You may also use tools such as ExpertFlyer to find availability, or use Qantas as described in The High Life here.

NOTE: Air Tahiti Nui is “skipping” the USA with the exception of 4-5 flights weekly as of mid-March 2020 and initially through 7 April due to the novel Coronavirus and flying PPT-CDG without stopping at LAX. Link to TN travel policy page.

For AAdvantage awards, remember there must be an unconstructed fare offered by TN - as the most significant carrier - from one's origin - it may not be so likely you'll find an unconstructed fare from FAR or JAX to PPT, more likely from DFW. Otherwise, you may need to get yourself to an OK origin airport with a separate award or paid ticket.

Award classes you are looking for on TN (updated Dec 2017 by dkc192) are:
  • TN awards on AA need to have an "AP" or Another Partner award code.
  • NOTE: ]F is J award
  • U is Y award
  • Z has been J upgrade
  • There is no longer First Class on TN
  • Moana Premium Economy is not available as an award booking yet

See FleyeSkyHigh’s post #599

First, the basics. The should search for available inventory with the following criteria:

Promo Box- leave empty
Carrier Code Box- TN
Inventory Box- ADV

That's pretty much true for all award searches so if the rep didn't know how to find the carrier code of TN your best bet is going to be to HUCA. Assuming you get that far the next gotcha is the way the type of award code that is used. Often times the agent will simply search for a American or OneWorld award code. That will not work. They need to search using an "AP" award code which basically means "Another Partner Award Code."

...Air Tahiti Nui decided to change their business class award booking codes from I to F back in July of 2017. Much of AA's documentation has not been updated. I think they may have changed the letter codes of Economy awards also...they now come from bucket code U. It's helpful to remind the AA agents of the inventory code you are looking to book. I can tell you they are searching for I or U for business or X or T for economy they have not got the right "AP" award code for the search.

Lastly, I have found it helpful to ask them to go to their other screen and try a "direct access" search for the F or U award inventory directly with TN. This last step in my experience has set off the light bulb for most agents to get it done. I used to have a 10% success rate booking TN awards with AA but once I followed all the steps about I am at 80% plus (meaning I only have to HUCA 1 out of every 5 times).
See mercruiser's TN Business award booking process here.

NOTE: AA Agents may have difficulty finding the award space themselves, but:

See the aa.com page on award redemption charts, including the South Pacific, here. From March 22, 2016 on, here.

See post #1 for information on the TN 787 and illustrations, including seat chartand post #2 for information on the A340-343s retiring in 2019.

TN does not belong to any alliance at this time, though they do offer some codeshares and accept awards booked by a number of airlines (including AA). TN offers a "QF3826" PPT-AKL, but as pointed out by JonNYC elsewhere, though ExpertFlyer displays it as a prime flight, it's a codeshare operated by TN and not available for an award. (N.B. ExpertFlyer will show TN award seats accurately.)

Originally Posted by franzose
Since TN introduced 'seat ŕ la carte' on 1 Sept 2019, you can do seat selection online under the condition your booking was ticketed. You need the TN reservation code (PNR):
  • Go to manage booking, enter your details (PNR - last name), open reservation
  • Go to manage booking, modify traveler details. ENTER CONTACT INFORMATION. THIS IS THE KEY TO BEING ABLE TO SEE SERVICES/SEAT SELECTION. Then select 'continue'.
  • Go to Additional Services with the meals sign
  • Go to the Seating and pick your seats (free for business, preference or extra comfort seats in Economy at a fee)
Only works on the regular website, not mobile.
”To request seat assignments, please contact our Air Tahiti Nui reservation office at least 72 hours prior to departure. However, we recommend requesting your seat assignments as soon as you confirm and ticket your reservations, so that more seat options will be available. Please be advised, exit and bulkhead rows can only be assigned at the airport.

Air Tahiti Nui aims to honor advance-seating requests. However, we cannot guarantee any particular seat even if the booking is confirmed. Air Tahiti Nui reserves the right to reassign seats at any time, even after boarding of the aircraft, for operational, safety or security reasons. Please accept our apologies if your preferred seat is not available at departure.”
- Exit and Bulkhead seats can only be assigned at the airport.

- On the A340 a Business seat or pair may be reserved for the pilot not flying.

- TN, 2019 (Note TN easily gives away predilect seats to “friends and family”, so if you lose your exit row or other favored seat don’t be surprised.)

You can not upgrade TN flights with AA miles, but they offer paid counter upgrades (availability based, Feb 2016 $1,000 Y to J, first come first served, so arrive early at check-in, and they may decline to upgrade paid codeshare flights). See http://borabora.airtahitinui-usa.com...es-charges.asp.

We don’t know if an upgrade from Moana Coach can be purchased to Premium Economy (on the 787-9) as yet.

Link to summary information about PPT Airport.

Link to Papeete Faa’a / PPT very useful page at SleepingInAirports.net.

Air Tahiti Nui was established on 31 October 1996 and commenced flight operations on 20 November 1998. The government of French Polynesia is the major shareholder (84.4%) along with other local investors. (Wikipedia)

Fleet

NOTE: TN began flying their Boeing 787-9 “Tahitian Dreamliner” (with GE engines, two purchased, two leased) LAX-PPT etc.18 November, 2018. See Air Tahiti Nui / TN to launch 787-9 Dreamliner 7 November 2018 for more information, including a link to the PDF seat chart. ALL five A340-343s will be replaced by four 787-9s by October 2019.
Boeing 787-9 “Tahitian Dreamliner “ (4 to be in fleet, all by October 2019) link to,TN 787-9 page.

These 787-9s have 30J - 32W - 232Y in a three class configuration . They also offer Panasonic Ku band internet connectivity via WiFi and eX3 IFE.

Boeing 787-9 “Tahitian Dreamliner” seating
C30 (Poerava Business) 2-2-2 Rockwell Collins (née B/E Aerospace) Parallel Diamond (similar to J in the AA A321T or J on QR 777-200LR)
W32 (Moana Premium) 2-3-2 Zodiac Aerospace Z535 Premium Economy class seats.
Y232 (Moana Economy) 3-3-3 in two cabins, with Zodiac Aerospace Z300 Economy class seats
for a total of 294 seats

See post #1 for a current 789 seat chart or SeatGuru here.
Seats in Poerava First are AB, DE, KL
Seats in Moana Premium are AB, DEF, KL
Seats in Moana Premium are ABC, DEF, JKL

“Woven together our fleet names have a hidden meaning: The warrior (TOA) going forward (MUA) in the great (NUI) canoe (VAA)!” The 787-9s will be / are:

F-OMUA “Fakarava”
F-ONUI “Tupaia “
F-OVAA “Bora Bora”
F-OTOA “Tetiaroa”
Airbus A340-343 (four of five remain in service 1/1/2019; the remainder will be phased out by October 2019)

Four A340s have undergone a CIP (Cabin Improvement Program), one (F-OJTN "Bora Bora") has, and will, not be refurbished. Though "Bora Bora" is more likely to be used on South Pacific - Asia flights, it still visits LAX periodically. Perhaps it will be the first A340 to be retired?

TN have eliminated Poerava First and only offer Poerava Business and Moana Economy classes on the A340, and have added Moana Premium (Premium Economy) on the 789. (See below.) A thread on selecting seats with AA awards and codeshares can be read here. The A340 Poerava Business seats are shell angled lie flat seats; Moana Economy seats presumably have 33” seat pitch, but feels tighter; bulkhead and exit row seating can only be assigned at airport check-in.

As seat charts are the same for all five A340s, it's difficult to know which configuration you will be on.

Link to seat chart.
Seat selection and On Line Check In:

At this time, online check-in and online seat selection are not available.

To request seat assignments, please contact our Air Tahiti Nui Reservations Office at least 72 hours prior to departure at (877) 824-4846. However, we recommend requesting your seat assignments as soon as you confirm and ticket your reservations, so that more seat options will be available. Please be advised, exit and bulkhead rows can only be assigned at the airport.

Air Tahiti Nui aims to honor advance-seating requests. However, we cannot guarantee any particular seat even if the booking is confirmed. Air Tahiti Nui reserves the right to reassign seats at any time, even after boarding of the aircraft, for operational, safety or security reasons. Please accept our apologies if your preferred seat is not available at departure.
But:

Originally Posted by UKdiver
Discovered today you can do it using Qatar's website, even if you don't have QR flights in the booking. You need the Amadeus locator code. [If you booked an award with AA, request the agent to give you TN's locator.]
Lounges

Only TN Poerava Business flyers get lounge access (AA codeshare flyers have been denied) TN are not oneworld, so oneworld status does not apply.

At AKL, NRT, and SYD TN use Qantas Business lounge.

At CDG, TN use the Cathay Pacific Business lounge.

At LAX, TN uses the 'International Lounge' in the Tom Bradley International Terminal for business passengers, shared with Air Fiji, El Al and Philippine Airlines; at other times, they will use the Korean Airlines lounge.

At PPT, TN offer their own Salon Manuhiri International lounge (also Diners, Airport Angel and Priority Pass may be used, though TN ticket counter employees may incorrectly tell you they don't accept those cards - in this writer's personal experience, they do.) airside, second floor via stairs or lift, open 150 minutes prior to departures.
Note: Flights within French Polynesia, e.g. to Bora Bora / BOB, are operated by Air Tahiti / VT (not oneworld nor AA partner) can be acquired with TYP, Barclays etc. travelcard points, but not with AA miles.

Other airline services to PPT include LA via SCL-IPC and AF. HA also offers once a week flights (Saturdays at this time) to PPT via HNL. AA flyers to SYD and AKL; this offers other award opportunities via AA and TN. LA flys SCL-IPC-PPT as well.

Websites: www.airtahitinui.com and www.airtahitinui-usa.com

nsuring Responsiveness to Our Customers’ Complaints

If a passenger has an unsatisfactory experience on one of our flights or while interacting with one of our employees, they may file a formal complaint to our Customer Relations Department. Every customer complaint will be read and acknowledged in writing within 30 days of our receipt of the complaint. If this initial communication does not fully address the concerns raised, we will send a substantive written response to the customer within 60 days.

Customer Relations can be reached immediately by clicking on the following link:
www.airtahitinui-usa.com/complaints

Or by calling 1(855) 835-9286

Or by writing through the U.S. Mail, and should be sent to:
Air Tahiti Nui - Customer Service
1970 E. Grand Ave, suite 100
El Segundo, CA 90245

Any written communication should contain the following information:
  • The name of the passenger concerned;
  • The ticket number;
  • The date and flight # concerning the complaint;[
  • If not a complaint onboard the aircraft, the date and location of the event; and
  • The nature of the event
A few French Polynesian words make your travel friendlier

Ia ora na - hello (EE-ah o-RAH-na

E - yes (eh)
Aita- no (EYE-tah)
Mauruuru - thank you (may-ooh-ROO-oo-roo)
Cheers - manuia (mon-oo-EE-ah)
Haere maru - take it easy (hah-EH-reh MAH-roo)
Nana- goodbye (NA-na)

Pronunciation:
Bora Bora - POra POra (yes, "B" is pronounced as "P")
Faa'a - faah ah
Papeete - pa-pay-EH-tay
N.B. French is the official language; speaking French is very useful in PF.
Link to Archive if 2014-2017 posts from this thread.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 2012, 7:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

I’d expect some possible complications in securing awards to include award seat reductions, schedule changes and perhaps some schedules dropped as the fleet reduces from 5 to 4, and Poerava Business seating is reduced from 32 to 30.

Boeing 787-9 “Tahitian Dreamliner” seating:

C30 (Poerava Business) 2-2-2 Rockwell Collins (née B/E Aerospace) Parallel Diamond (similar to J in the AA A321T or J on QR 777-200LR); lie flat but not all aisle access.
W32 (Moana Premium) 2-3-2 Zodiac Aerospace Z535 Premium Economy class seats.
Y232 (Moana Economy) 3-3-3 in two cabins, with Zodiac Aerospace Z300 Economy class seats
for a total of 294 seats

TN 789 seat numeration is:

Poerava Business: rows 1-5, columns AB, DE, KL
Moana Premium: rows 10-15, columns AB, DEF, KL
Moana Economy: rows 18-46, ABC, DEF, JKL

The departing Airbus A340-313 is C32, Y264 for a total of 296 seats.

Members have previously submitted some important information on successful award bookings on Air Tahiti Nui. These have been summarized and included in the Wikipost - be sure to read it.

Below:
Boeing 787-9 “Tahitian Dreamliner” new color scheme
Rockwell Collins (née B/E Aerospace) Parallel Diamond Poerava (Black Pearl) Business seat pair
Zodiac Aerospace Z535 Premium Economy class seat pair
The C30, W32, Y232 (for a total of 294) seats layout
Attached Images     

Last edited by JDiver; May 16, 2019 at 6:14 pm
Old May 28, 2014, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Air Tahiti Nui has been operating with four Airbus A340-343 four engine aircraft. These offer a C32 Y264 configuration. Four are configured as follows:

Poerava Business Class with 30 angled flat reclining seats in 2 x 2 x 2 with 53” pitch, 20.5” width.

Moana Coach Class with 264 standard reclining seats in 2 x 4 x 2 with 33” pitch, 18” width.

Included: Seatback IFE, AC Power

The fifth A340 is configured with the same seat row and column numbers but has an older configuration with narrower, less comfortable J seats.

Link to SeatGuru seat chart

These are being retired and replaced by the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner discussed immediately above.

Previous configuration: F6 C24 Y264 (F was eliminated)

Code:
Post 282 by Woodsmit says (additional data supplied):
 Current A340-313 retrofit based on Air Tahiti Nui website.

RegNo   Name       Delivered     C/N    Configuration
 F-OJTN  Bora Bora  18 Jan 2002   395    OLD configuration
 F-OJGF  Mangareva  28 Dec 2001   385    New configuration
 F-OSEA  Rangiroa   27 Dec 2002   438    New configuration
 F-OSUN  Moorea     27 Dec 2002   446    New configuration
 F-OLOV  Nuku Hiva  13 Jun 2005   668    New configuration
Illustrations:
Air Tahiti Nui A340-343
A340 latest configuration Poerava Business
A340 Moana Coach
SeatGuru Poerava Business cabin
Attached Images     

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 16, 2019 at 11:54 pm
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, Honors Diamond, BAEC Silver
AA has just updated an existing booking I have with TN flights changing the fare class from I to F and I've noticed a couple of interesting updates.

1. The class of service now shows as 'First' for the TN flight via AA 'Your trips' page - perhaps an error pulling from the F fare code?
2. More concerning is the QR seat selection trick (as mentioned by UKdiver in the wiki) no longer seems to be working and my previously selected seat was unassigned from the fare class change. The rest of the flights are still accessible through QR but the TN flights show as 'Other airline' without any seat options.

Anyone else have the fare change? Seat selection via QR impacted if so?

Interestingly, I have another TN booking through DL and the fare class hasn't been changed to F from I.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Given TN hadn’t had Poerava First in some time now, this is undoubtedly a glitch. Beware AA trying to charge you more miles.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, Honors Diamond, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
Given TN hadn’t had Poerava First in some time now, this is undoubtedly a glitch. Beware AA trying to charge you more miles.
Agreed.

No worries on the miles as it's already part of an F booking (ex EU).
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:50 pm

I am trying to book TN award ticket in J from AKL-PPT around the end of the year Dec 30/31. I called AA this week but there is no award availability. Do you think it would be possible to get an award ticket during that time or is it too much in the high season? What is the best time period to start finding award tickets for TN through AA?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by AAworldtraveler15
I am trying to book TN award ticket in J from AKL-PPT around the end of the year Dec 30/31. I called AA this week but there is no award availability. Do you think it would be possible to get an award ticket during that time or is it too much in the high season? What is the best time period to start finding award tickets for TN through AA?
The normal rule of AA is 331 days in advance is max. However, I'm not sure if this is correct, but for some reason I have in my notes of 326 for TN. 3 years in a row I booked 2 1st/bus tickets US LAX-PPT and back as one ways. I monitored at 340 days out to start watching the pattern and then as soon as the clock ticked over, I was on the phone booking.

I personally never would have planned a trip depending on flying at a critical time of 12/30-1/1 on a segment of limited availability. Asking for to much in my opinion. If there are no seats now, you are likely out of luck.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:14 pm

Im looking for any available flights from sept onwards AKL TO PPT in any class can anyone help me how do i set an alert on Expert Flyer is this possible ?
Thanks
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:19 pm

Did you have any joy finding any availability? Im looking for the same route in September .
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Lee Moss
Im looking for any available flights from sept onwards AKL TO PPT in any class can anyone help me how do i set an alert on Expert Flyer is this possible ?
Thanks
you need to purchase a subscription for Expert Flyer, then you can search for award availability for the days that have this flight. You will need to set up an alert for each day and reward type. You will get an e mail if an award becomes available. I did a quick look and there are only a few flights available each week.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Originally Posted by jagoffee

you need to purchase a subscription for Expert Flyer, then you can search for award availability for the days that have this flight. You will need to set up an alert for each day and reward type. You will get an e mail if an award becomes available. I did a quick look and there are only a few flights available each week.
Hi
Im looking for award availability PPT to AKL for next year.

I see the schedule is
TN101 on Mon, Wed, Saturday
TN2181 Fridayand Sunday (code share with NZ)

Can anyone tell me if it is only the TN101 flight that has AA award availability and is it on every day it flies?

Can you see any dates in Jan\Feb 2019?

Thanks
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blindman
I'm looking for award availability PPT to AKL for next year.

I see the schedule is
TN101 on Mon, Wed, Saturday
TN2181 Friday and Sunday (code share with NZ)

Can anyone tell me if it is only the TN101 flight that has AA award availability and is it on every day it flies?
You will not find AA award availability on a code share. Has to be the partner airline operated flight.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
You will not find AA award availability on a code share. Has to be the partner airline operated flight.
Thanks for the reply.

Any idea if the awards are avaible on every TN101 flight?

Thanks.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Thanks

Interesting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.