Stop Over Recommendations in Europe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)

I'm going to Athens for a friend's wedding at the end of December. After the wedding, I'd like to stopover somewhere else in Europe for 5 days in early January, and I'm having trouble picking a spot - I'd like to hear some suggestions or opinions.

I'd like to go some where I haven't been before - which rules out the following: London, Paris, Belgium, Munich, Cologne, Dusseldorf, Athens, and Italy.

German speaking, Star Alliance hub, or UA destinations would be pluses.

One other consideration, is that I'll be travelling with an 11 month old baby, so some place somewhat kid friendly would be nice.

I'd probably prefer an area where most of the attractions and things to see are indoors, as opposed to getting out and enjoying the scenery - this is mostly due to the fact that being early January it will be cold.

Currently, I'm considering Zurich, Vienna, or Berlin. Would 5 days be too much for one of these places? Any other places I should be considering?
Old Aug 26, 2006, 11:02 am

My vote goes to Vienna. More than plenty to do indoors for several days. But five days there with a baby might be a bit much. On the other hand, I don't know that any other destination would be all that much better for an 11-month old... You'll have to find a baby t-shirt that says "I tried to crawl all over Vienna".
Old Aug 26, 2006, 11:06 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Vienna or Geneva if it has to be a mid way stop.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Another vote for Vienna. I spent some time there in the the winter (4 days, IIRC) and there was plenty to do indoors. There's both palaces with all the things that go along with them. That alone can cover almost 5 days. Then there's all the other stuff to do.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Vienna to Zurich on the train--that's a nice trip. The other option, if you don't necessarily want to stay in German speaking areas, is Madrid--even Barcelona.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA, DL
Zurich but only because I have not been to the other two (yet!). I'm certain though that Vienna would be a popular choice as I know it is a wonderful city (though I'm sure Berlin would be great as well). I do love Zurich though. We spent four days there but were also there to visit friends. Five days may be a bit much for the actual city (maybe two or three?) but it is a wonderful launching pad for some short day or half-day trips. We enjoyed Uetliberg and I know Luzern is wonderful as well.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 9:24 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
I;d vote for Zurich (also because I have been to the other two). I was in ZRH in January this year but only overnight - still liked it a lot. And it's an easy train to some skiing etc... Nice airport to connect in also.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:08 am

Geneva

My vote goes to Geneva, beautiful city with lots to do and not very crowded even though it has big city amenities like luxury hotels and wonderful restaurants; as well the people are very nice
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Vienna

Another vote for the Austrian entry! Lot's of options depending on your taste - food, drink, culture, fun, kids - and you can always take an easy day trip to Bratislava in Slovakia if you cannot fill 5 days in Wien!

Berlin is great, but not really a convenient stopover point as it is actually a pretty small airport hub compared to the others.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:16 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
ZRH and GVA would be great, I haven't been since I was a kid but lots of indoors things, beautiful and easy access all around the country, so you don't have to be cooped up in a city if you don't want too. I'd personally do Vienna since I have never been there, although Switz. would be very very tempting.

Berlin is a great city, very young, lots of nightlife, lots of museums to explore.

You can't go wrong.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Given your parameters, my vote goes to Vienna. Lots of indoor things to do, great food, and no problem with the baby. You'll want to return in the summer to do lots of other things that weren't January-friendly, like sitting in an outdoor cafe drinking something mit schlag. (You'll probably drink lots of things mit schlag in January, just not outdoors.)
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1mm; DL Plt; Marriott Gold; Hyatt something or other; Hilton Gold
Vienna is great, Salzburg nearby too, and what about the Alps (Gstaad, St. Moritz, etc.?)...if non-German speaking, might also consider Croatia, Prague, or Budapest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.