Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Can a Canadian citizen get 2 passports? (one for going to Israel and one for others)

Can a Canadian citizen get 2 passports? (one for going to Israel and one for others)

Old Jun 6, 2006, 3:14 pm
pizzamiles

My sister-in-law is a Canadian citizen living in the US.
She went to Israel for vacation a couple of yeas ago.

If she intends to travel to a country that bars entry
to any passport with an Israeli stamp, what can she do?

Can she go to the Canadian Consulate in the US and
apply for a 2nd Canadian passport? Or, should she simply
renew her current Canadian passport. (in which case the
new passport will have no stapms)

Thanks for your help!

Old Jun 6, 2006, 3:36 pm
Suspended

She will have to renew her passport. As it is still valid they will ask why, then void it and issue a new one (with an applicable sum paid of course)
Old Jun 6, 2006, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
if you have a valid visa, this **might** get complicated as they would normally attach your old passport to your new one.

Cheers
Old Jun 6, 2006, 3:45 pm

For future reference, if she travels to Israel again, she can have them stamp the entry/exit stamp on a separate paper.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 3:40 am

I have had experience with the same issue when travelling to Doha, Qatar a few weeks ago. Because I had an Israeli stamp in my passport, I had to fill out a designated application to apply for a second passport along with a typed letter explaining why I needed the second passport and then the State Department issued me a second passport which had validity of 2 years. Hence, I was/am carrying two valid passports simulatenously. Granted, this was in the US but I'm sure Canada handles the process similarly.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 5:35 pm
pizzamiles

She has since applied for another passport, so I guess she'll be alright.

Come to think of it, I can't recall any immigration official in the USA or even in the old Soviet Union, checking EVERY page of someone's passport. Or is this only something that immigration officials in Arab countries do?(checking for Israeli stamps/visa)

Old Jun 10, 2006, 1:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pizzamiles
She has since applied for another passport, so I guess she'll be alright.

Come to think of it, I can't recall any immigration official in the USA or even in the old Soviet Union, checking EVERY page of someone's passport. Or is this only something that immigration officials in Arab countries do?(checking for Israeli stamps/visa)
I've seen immigration officials in the US, UK, India, Belgium and a bunch of other OECD countries go through every page before, so it's not just "Arab countries" that do this -- although the purpose may well not be the same always.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 1:32 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Plenty of places do it - especially if your passport appears fairly full despite not being very old. Other times it's just because the officer is bored.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 3:53 am

Programs: AC*G Elite, SPG-G, Mariot-G
My sister-in-law is a Canadian citizen living in the US.
She went to Israel for vacation a couple of yeas ago.

If she intends to travel to a country that bars entry
to any passport with an Israeli stamp, what can she do?

Can she go to the Canadian Consulate in the US and
apply for a 2nd Canadian passport? Or, should she simply
renew her current Canadian passport. (in which case the
new passport will have no stapms)

Thanks for your help!

This exact question came up a year or so ago here on Flyertalk, perhaps in the Air Canada forum.

The response, if I recall correctly was that yes, it is possible to have two simultaneus valid passports for such a situation as you have described. The second one being of only a 2 year validity.

Obviously more paperwork and a valid explanation are required. But the answer (at that time) is yes, yes it is possible.

Of course, calling a Canadian passport office if in Canada or your local embassy/consulate will get you the official answer.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by MSP2000
For future reference, if she travels to Israel again, she can have them stamp the entry/exit stamp on a separate paper.
That was what I asked this morning and I got half an hour "interview" at the TLV. They didn't like the fact that I had been vacationing on BEY January this year. At the end they DID stamp my passport.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:47 am

Programs: Delta, United
Another option is to get an insert for a current passport. Then ask for the stamps to placed in the insert. Then take the insert out when traveling to countries with interest in the countries you have travel to. Works fine.

I have had many immigration officers go through every page in my passport. I have others stamp and go.

The question of where you have previously traveled goes both ways. Some countries may not let you in. Others may not let you fly out.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
...Come to think of it, I can't recall any immigration official in the USA or even in the old Soviet Union, checking EVERY page of someone's passport. Or is this only something that immigration officials in Arab countries do?(checking for Israeli stamps/visa)
I've seen lots of immigration officers riffle through the pages quickly, not read every single one. I suspect that they're looking for a stamp with a shape that they recognize easily at a glance. If the folks where she's going are looking specifically and only for Israeli stamps, as opposed to analyzing her travel patterns, it shouldn't take them long to spot one.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by holtju2
That was what I asked this morning and I got half an hour "interview" at the TLV. They didn't like the fact that I had been vacationing on BEY January this year. At the end they DID stamp my passport.
Are you saying that you asked them to stamp it on a separate removable page, and they refused?
Old Jul 28, 2006, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Jakebeth
Are you saying that you asked them to stamp it on a separate removable page, and they refused?
I made the request to the person at the passport control. I was then referred to another person and later "interviewed" by a third person.

Really didn't feel welcomed to spend money and few days in Israel. They even questioned why I would come to TLV when there is a war here and why I had not cancelled the trip. I told that I hadn't seen any missiles to hit TLV so far on CNN.

Absolute stupidity IMHO.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 2:58 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by MSP2000
This doesn't work too well when entering Israel by land. The exit stamp from the other country (Jordan or Egypt) gives you away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.