Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Qantas Club card & Terminal 5 North Galleries lounge access hoo-ha

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas Club card & Terminal 5 North Galleries lounge access hoo-ha

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2008, 1:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Fraser
Not so sure about that. I know US and UA club members can use each others lounges but I don't think it extends across the entire Star system.
Yeah it does. From my handy copy of the *A Reference Guide, paid RCC membership and paid US Airways Club** membership gives access to all *G lounges when flying *A (except only access to each others lounge when RCC member is flying US or USAC member flying UA).

** apparently there are different types of US Airways Club membership - some have the *G lounge access benefit (denoted by *A logo on the card) and some do not.
Old May 5, 2008, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Yeah it does. From my handy copy of the *A Reference Guide, paid RCC membership and paid US Airways Club** membership gives access to all *G lounges when flying *A (except only access to each others lounge when RCC member is flying US or USAC member flying UA).

** apparently there are different types of US Airways Club membership - some have the *G lounge access benefit (denoted by *A logo on the card) and some do not.
Back when I still carried RCC membership, it certainly offered access across the whole *A network.

That was probably 2002 or 2003, though, maybe 2004, and I dropped it because I was always flying F or J anyway so for the very few times I was flying domestically, it just wasn't worth it any more.

I also started my switch from *A to oneworld then, and remember being surprised to learn that Admirals Club membership did NOT afford access to oneworld partner lounges, so I didn't even really think about joining (and most of the time I had my BA Silver card to get in anyway - it was only when that first expired in 2004 that I gave it a thought). Now I have BA Gold, AA PLT, still no Admirals Club membership, and haven't set foot on a *A aircraft in almost a year.
Old May 5, 2008, 6:01 pm

Programs: QP Life, AA Nothing, QF Bronze
While I'm fairly sure this is a temporary problem, there is one way that access could legitimately be denied. The terms and conditions state that Qantas Club allows access to "British Airways lounges (Terraces and Executive Club lounges)". The cheat-sheet that Fraser linked to also refers to "Terraces/Executive Club Lounge". Perhaps BA could argue that "Galleries" lounges are not covered by the agreement.

I guess it would be vaguely similar to the way they have a lounge for First Class passengers but deny oneworld Emeralds access by calling it the Concorde Room. I'll admit it's not a great analogy, since they do have a separate First Lounge for Emeralds whereas in this case there is not a separate Terraces or Executive Club lounge for Qantas Club members.
Old May 5, 2008, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Alan in CBR
While I'm fairly sure this is a temporary problem, there is one way that access could legitimately be denied. The terms and conditions state that Qantas Club allows access to "British Airways lounges (Terraces and Executive Club lounges)". The cheat-sheet that Fraser linked to also refers to "Terraces/Executive Club Lounge". Perhaps BA could argue that "Galleries" lounges are not covered by the agreement.

I guess it would be vaguely similar to the way they have a lounge for First Class passengers but deny oneworld Emeralds access by calling it the Concorde Room. I'll admit it's not a great analogy, since they do have a separate First Lounge for Emeralds whereas in this case there is not a separate Terraces or Executive Club lounge for Qantas Club members.
I never thought of that one, but that would certainly be a sneaky (actually, I almost wrote snaky due to a typo, and am not sure it's any less appropriate) maneuver on their part.

I'd be shocked though if they actually, officially, tried to take this course. Unless they were trying to cut off their relationship with Qantas for some reason.
Old May 5, 2008, 10:38 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA silver
Originally Posted by nbevan
how staff get to qualify for Silver and Gold
There is also some non-UK staff. They need two return flights within Europe connecting in London (160 Tp each) and one flight to the UK in CE (80 TP) to get silver. If you're flexible with the dates the regular ticket price sums up to around 2000 Euro, maybe a less if you get a good deal. Without kids and/or with a partner that works, too, there are many people you could afford this if the silver card would be a priority, even without any staff tickets or rebates. For UK based members, silver would be around 1500 GBP with a number of short trips to Europe in CE.
Old May 6, 2008, 2:18 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Repeat post
Old May 6, 2008, 6:10 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by thadocta
You have more status than ANYone on earth could possibly give you, my dear PUCCI.

Dave
Dave,

Would you like to add Mucci to your list of programmes?

I'l bet that your bedside manner has much to remommend it (are you that type of Doctor? I'm a nurse)

Now back to weightier matters - it seems to me that part of the problem experienced throughout the One World group is that not everyone on the desk has any idea who is or who is not entitled. To be fiar - there are rather a lot of permutations! I would suggest as insurance in these matters that people carry the rules with them rather than rely on flustered ingenues on the desk who are probably obliged to err on the side of caution. If you do not see a QF card that often and do not know if they are allowed in with or without flying BA or whoever or whichever code share it happens to be. Our experts here are not always in agreement so how can the people on the desk be aware all the time? Whilst that is not really the point of the whole arrangement, it is probably wisest to do just that and I intend to do the same. The AA staff at LAX know by now - but down the road at SNA they have to look everything up to see if I am entitled to a drink or not ().

So whilst I do understand the frustrations, forewarned is forearmed.

Now - and this is serious as I have got the proper shade of lipstick to be serious. We do refer to our Lounge Hosts and Hostesses as Lounge Dragons. Are we now saying that Sunrise Girl is a Dragon??

Anyone who calls her that I will see out in the Playground!

We need a new epithet. Executive Angel springs to mind.
Old May 6, 2008, 6:21 am
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I'm a nurse
...and a Doctor :-:
Old May 6, 2008, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by vla
...and a Doctor :-:
May I take your temperature?
Old May 6, 2008, 7:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Bartinbrook
It’s a fair cop, guv...

Ok, I’ll admit I’ve been a little slow to update my profile, but it’s now done and I’m just a lowly Blue once more. But at least I earned my Silver with my own cash rather than on business trips paid for by an employer, so I’m not too ashamed of myself
Don't worry Bartinbrook I was just pulling your leg and I commend you on earning status using money out of your own pocket - you deserve a MUCCI from PUCCI for that rather than crawling to her like some posters I know.
Old May 6, 2008, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Don't worry Bartinbrook I was just pulling your leg and I commend you on earning status using money out of your own pocket - you deserve a MUCCI from PUCCI for that rather than crawling to her like some posters I know.
You were happy to crawl when it suited you to have a Mucci. He can earn one the usual way.
Old May 6, 2008, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I was rather wondering and hoping if my fessing up re status fraud might merit a Mucci...
Old May 6, 2008, 11:20 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Dave,

Would you like to add Mucci to your list of programmes?
BLUSH Why, thak you, I'm honoured. I'd like to thank my parents, and the academ.....oops, wrong awards speech.

I'l bet that your bedside manner has much to remommend it (are you that type of Doctor? I'm a nurse)
Not ANY type of doctor - it is a LONG story as to how I got this nickname....

Dave
Old May 6, 2008, 11:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Are we now saying that Sunrise Girl is a Dragon??

Anyone who calls her that I will see out in the Playground!

We need a new epithet. Executive Angel springs to mind.
I would love to be a dragon but my fire breathing skills are not up to scratch
Old May 6, 2008, 11:37 am

The lounge system now checks the flight status, the volume of passengers in the lounges and the class or status of the passengers. It then states if there is a problem with access or confirms access. The problem with QF Club is that it is not a true card in the alliance, so QF assign it a QF Silver account which comes up in the system as Ruby. Staff need to overide it and allow access and the laminated guides on every access point tells them this. Similar issues exist around separate bookings, ie. First to Club Europe on a separate booking will allow CCR (if still a direct connection), but the system will not pick up the First itin and so will decline access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.