Search

Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Sampler

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2007, 3:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
SYDNEY to AUCKLAND (SYD-AKL) on QF 767-300

In the first lounge I first grabbed a bite (very late lunch) at the sit-down dining area, figuring it would be quieter and thus quicker service now than closer to my departure. I should have known better from my previous experiences. Slow service and erratic - some tables appeared to get much better service than other tables

Not wanting to waste more time I skipped dessert and after dinner drinks and headed to a workstation to catch up on some work. For the first time that I can recall (in the new SYD F lounge) every workstation was occupied (once I took the last one). Hmmmm maybe the new lounge is having an effect on boosting loads and/or encouraging QF Platinum/OW Emerald flyers to requalify?

I got some work done in between drinks. The flight was called late. Even leaving the lounge immediately as soon as I stepped outside I heard pages for myself and some other lounge guests "blah blah holding up the flight". Really? It was still 15 minutes to departure and we all boarded at the nearby gate quickly. If QF wants us to board sooner then they should make the call in the lounge earlier.

In another thread I wondered if I would be treated any differently by QF having achieved the highest lifetime status. This was my first QF mainline flight since attaining this status where crew would not know me. Below is what I posted.

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Different all right and not in a good way.

Flight was full and had a (late addition?) basketball team onboard. They nabbed lots of aisle seats - naturally as cannot fit in a middle seat. My forward aisle preference (and preallocated seat) counted for nothing and I got reassigned to a rear middle seat (high 30s row number on 767) I did manage to change to an aisle seat, but not as far forward as I'd like. As the flight was full I had choice of that or the middle seat - nothing else available

CSM introduced herself and offered assistance, but then couldn't get me a newspaper (I'm sure we don't have enough), or help with my duty free order or a glass of water or anything else. What is the point of offering assistance if you don't intend to do anything? Meaningless words are worse than not saying anything as they raise false expectations.
Otherwise the flight was mediocre. The passenger in front was a basketballer and reclined most of the flight to give himself a bit more space. Which reduced my comfort (I'm not small myself).

Food was a choice of beef with noodles or chicken curry, with a brick masquerading as a piece of bread and a small salad. An ice block was handed out about 90 minutes after the mains. The dinner trays were not collected until another 20 minutes later I guess that is one way to make sure passengers stay in their seats and don't bother the crew most of the flight

As with the LAN flight, call buttons were uniformly ignored. When not handing out food or arrival documents the cabin crew were almost running down the aisles - very hard to get their attention for even such basics as a glass of water (how dare I want more than 1 small drink for the 3 hour flight?).

We arrived late. The aforementioned invalid sitting in the bulkhead aisle seat thought it was a good idea to attempt to disembark first (of the economy passengers) - thus holding up all that side of the aircraft. Yup short straw again.

I ran past lots of passengers in the pier and got to immigration with a triple snake in place - but if I'd dallied a bit I wouldn't even have got down the stairs from the upper level for the queue backed right up. Glad I decided not to get some duty free on arrival then. Customs and quarantine were quick thus ending the day on a high note.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 5:58 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Economy flying is such a downer
My wife thinks I am spoiled now with my LA TT in BC that my complaints are unjustified when I have to fly TT in WHY for work
Maybe some justification in that but I do not mind WHY too much as long as the middle seat is free, which thankfully for my two work TT were.
Oh Monday's LA flight was 18 hours late from SCL resulting in the TT being cancelled, yes you warned me about it before and the odds were I would be hit with one eventually. I was lucky and got to fly a NZ 767 in BC instead, now that was an op-up
Old Nov 19, 2007, 6:01 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Nice one Blackcloud ^ Wonder why they didn't put you on QF?

I assume you quickly added a suitable *A FFP #
Old Dec 3, 2007, 12:50 am

Lots of interesting trip reports there. i thought I loved flying but I see there is no competition.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 4:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

AUCKLAND to SYDNEY (AKL-SYD) on QF 767-300

For the umpteenth time this year I am again heading out to the airport after an OMG wakeup call. It only took a few minutes of the alarm to rouse me. I had to consciously vary my routine for I need to make sure my carry-on is nice and light with a couple of my flights today being weight-restricted.

No queue at premium check in. Again I only get one onward boarding pass. I'll need to pick up the others at subsquent airports. The immigration officer is just setting up so I wait a minute and then get processed. Check in had no departure tax stickers so off to the currency exchange. Again no queue. I wonder why the airport is so much quieter than normal for this hour of the day?

Upstairs at the pre-cleared immigration line (and also the regular line) there is a long wait. Instead of opening up at 4am (as sometimes is the case) or 4:30am (as normally is the case), today they decide to open up at 5am. I guess the airside shops will be annoyed at the reduction in customs while big queues of passengers stand around waiting instead of buying.

Quickly through immigration of course since all they needed to do was match name on boarding pass with passport and scan the departure tax sticker. I tried to not be first to security, but despite going slow, chatting to the officer and deliberately fumbling for my stuff I still got there first. This means I got the "random" wanding and pat down.

I don't know if there is a new policy, or just this officer was trained say in Germany, but the pat down was most unlike any I've experienced in NZ. First I had to empty all my pockets (ie just after I'd gone to the trouble of putting things in my pocket after the WTMD they had to go back out). Then I had to step more than arms length away from my belongings - which are not in a secure position with all passengers (and staff) clearing the WTMD walking within easy reach of my stuff. Then I got a vigourous pat down, which reminded me of the ones you get in Germany. This still wasn't enough as I had to show both sides of my belt buckle and lift each trouser leg (what!?).

Then I was free to go - grumpy at the lack of sleep and waiting needlessly for the late immigration staff and now what may be (but hopefully isnt) the descent of the pleasant security in NZ to some of the worse aspects of security in certain countries (yes I do mean USA).

Welcomed into the first lounge where I caught up on my messages, made a couple of posts to FT, and had a couple of drinks. Boarding was called later than I expected, but was perfectly timed - by the time we reached the gate there was no queue in the airbridge.

The a/c seemed to be in need of some minor maintenance - almost all of the toilets were out of order and several overhead bin latches were broken, flying open throughout the flight.

There was a delay waiting for 1 last passenger. During the wait they handed out arrival cards for Australia, and also an express arrival immigration & customs card to business class passengers and QF platinum passengers in economy. I don't know if they also are available for OW emerald, OW sapphire, QF gold or QF club passengers in economy - for on this flight there were only 2 eligible passengers in economy!

The flight was not very full and after take off I was invited to move back a couple of rows where there was more space. The person in front reclined through the meal and the FA said she was not going to wake her up to move the seat upright so I could use my table

I managed to get a couple of hours sleep, missing the movie (Bourne Ultimatum - no loss). After fast flight time across the Tasman we had a long detour to Brisbane Water and then back to land to the south.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 5:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

In transit in Sydney

Walking quickly down the pier from our gate at the end, I noticed the SQ A380 parked up at its gate but no sign of the Airbus A380 which had been in Sydney the past few days and was due to fly out today. Reaching immigration I was shocked at the lack of queues and quickly pocketed my express card for future use - no need to use it today. I had expected chaos, which normally is present when arriving on these early flights from NZ. I had even more reason to expect crowds when I'd checked the arrival information from the Auckland lounge computer and noticed that all the London flights were delayed and thus arrive not that long before my flight.

I only had to wait for one other person to be processed before it was my turn. A quick question and I was through. Coming down the steps I saw the right hand customs and quarantine had a small queue while the left hand side had no queue at all. So naturally I headed left. Despite the lack of queue and the many agriculture inspection staff milling around (perhaps 30 just on the left hand side alone?) we were still forced to walk the length of the snake.

On reaching landside I walked quickly to the transfer bus - if I'm fast I can make the next one leaving shortly. Unfortunately the queue stretched back almost to the train station. This is an annoying design feature - those who like me are already checked in, have boarding pass in hand and have no luggage to check, still have to queue (sometimes for ages) just to get the opportunity to get to the security checkpoint. You guessed it - I missed the next bus while standing in the queue. So despite walking very fast and no bags to recheck or stops to pick up a boarding pass and no queues at immigration or customs, it still took well over an hour to reach the T3 domestic lounge. Sydney, in common with Brisbane and Perth, is not an easy airport to transfer between domestic and international.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 1:06 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
[b]So despite walking very fast and no bags to recheck or stops to pick up a boarding pass and no queues at immigration or customs, it still took well over an hour to reach the T3 domestic lounge. Sydney, in common with Brisbane and Perth, is not an easy airport to transfer between domestic and international.
You might consider catching the train bet T1 and T2/T3 if the queues for the bus transfers are long....IIRC, it costs $4 for the 2 min ride but worth it in the scenario you descibed above.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 5:01 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

SYDNEY to LORD HOWE ISLAND (SYD-LDH) on Qantas DH8-200

In the lounge I asked to be checked in for my onward flights. There was some issue though and after 30 minutes or so the agent apologised and handed me the boarding pass for the next but one flight. I'm guessing there is some system restriction on issuing boarding passes from Lord Howe Island due to the weight restricted flight, and in any case there would be very, very few passengers doing what I am and returning straight away (due to lack of flights, fares are normally high and awards difficult to get). As with the earlier trip, I am unable to be checked in for my last flight of the day back to Auckland (according to the agent they are not authorised to through check international flights ).

The lack of boarding pass for the flight from Lord Howe Island gave me a little discomfort. While the agent was attempting to do it, I'd checked online and noticed there were no available seats on any flight from the island for a few days! However, I reasoned that if there was a real chance of not being allowed on the flight the system would not have allowed me to be checked in for the next onward flight.

I left the lounge early to look at the Airbus A380. Originally it was due to depart at 1100 to Buenos Aires, which with the active runway and direction being used would have given me great views. However it was delayed to 1200, so I had to be content with seeing it parked up opposite the international terminal (where the likes of SQ, UA, VS a/c park during the day), and hope that our taxi/takeoff would coincide with the A380's.

Boarding was delayed. The flight was full, which surprised me. I had expected the weight restrictions for the long overwater flight would mean not every seat would be sold. I guess enough of the pax were children/infants that this was not necessary (and the tailwinds in this direction probably helped too). Before the door was closed a ground staffer came onboard and checked that I was here. Hmmm is that a good sign (they are confirming I'm on the flight over in order to check me in for the return) or a bad sign (they wanted to offload me from the return flight)? Too late now.

We taxiied past the Airbus A380 - wow that is so much bigger than our little aircraft (which is I think the smallest that uses SYD?). It was running late and still parked up when we went past so I missed seeing it take off.

Shortly after we took off a snack box lunch was served. This was a tasty sandwich, a biscuit and small chocolate. Plus water, tea, coffee and wine.

My tiredness, the engine noise and the lack of anything interesting to see out the window soon put me to sleep and I awoke as we were descending to Lord Howe. Unfortunately a layer of low cloud obscured views until we were very close. On a fine day I imagine it would be quite striking with the hills rising steeply from the ocean. We flew across the small lagoon and touched down a little late.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 8, 2007 at 5:36 pm
Old Dec 8, 2007, 5:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

LORD HOWE ISLAND to PORT MACQUARIE (LDH-PQQ) on Qantas DH8-200

My onward boarding pass was ready for me. "You must be Kiwi Flyer." But first I had to do the mandatory weigh in (self plus carry on) so they can check loads. All the other passengers on the flight had already been weighed. I spent a few minutes wandering around taking in the nice view and enjoying the pleasantly warm breeze. The island reminded me of an exaggerated version of nearby (well relatively near by) Norfolk Island.

This flight was about half full, with the same FA as the flight over but with fresh pilots. A special manual safety briefing (as opposed to the normal tape used), the same as the flight over. We taxiied to the end of the runway and turned. The engines revved up high and we kangaroo hopped off with the sudden release of the brakes. Yes we did use most of the runway into the breeze and seemed to barely climb over the low sand dune at the end.

A light refreshment was served. Savoury muffin, plus small muesli bar. Christmas shortbread. Mini chocolate bar (bite sized). Water, tea, coffee and wine.

Nice views of the wetlands around Port Macquarie on descent. We landed slightly late and rather rough (as if the pilots thought we were still several feet above the ground), having made up some time en route. Passengers continuing on to Sydney were asked to disembark - I am not sure why the different treatment to the Narrabri or Moree transits (see above).

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 8, 2007 at 6:53 pm
Old Dec 8, 2007, 7:09 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

PORT MACQUARIE to SYDNEY (PQQ-SYD) on Qantas DH8-200

The transit stop was short and we were soon back onboard. About half the passengers from Lord Howe Island had left us, with several new passengers from Port Macquarie. Thus flight still only half full.

Not much view due to low level cloud most of the way. Another light refreshment was served - but no wine this time.

We arrived on time landing on the cross runway. The bus taking us from the gate to arrivals was there fairly quickly, for which I was grateful due to my short transfer time. Then the race back through the terminals, trying to make the next transfer bus which departs 15 minutes after we pulled up to the gate. A delay at security in the mainline domestic terminal (T3) - the officer was trying to be helpful (I think) suggesting I take off my belt shoes, etc, etc but in the end it was a small lolly wrapper that triggered the WTMD. Grrrr.

I ran to the transfer desk, for I still needed to check in. They had some problem checking me in - an issue with my passport? It took several phone calls to get the right override to accept it. Meanwhile I kept an eye open on the little tv screen behind the desk - showing the transfer bus was running late and hadn't yet boarded. Finally success just as the transfer bus was boarding. I asked the agent to call down to hold the bus, for my flight was now only 40 minutes away - and thus the next bus in 30 minutes time would cause me to hold up the flight (or miss it). The agent was more than happy to make the call ^ As the second agent scanned my hot off the printer boarding pass I asked for a departures card and also an express immigration & security card (due to my status). I then rushed off, but not before hearing the person behind me ask "I like the sound of an express card, can I please have one" - oops she didn't qualify for one.

On arrival at immigration there was a modest queue, so I decided to use the express card to use the empty express lane. You keep the card to show at express security and they are supposed to collect it. However they forgot and I didn't mind keeping it to reuse another time. Which reminds me I should check if the Qantas logo on the card means I can only use it flying Qantas (or perhaps QF codeshares also). I don't recall seeing any logo when I got express card flying Singapore, but I may have just not been observant that time.

In any event there was no passengers at all at security, so I didn't really get much value from the express card today.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 7:25 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

SYDNEY to AUCKLAND (SYD-AKL) on QF 767-300

I decided to pop into the first lounge for a couple of very quick drinks to settle down after the mad rush across the airport. Even though boarding has already commenced I knew I had time, for there is no need for lounge guests to leave until close to departure. I almost was late due to forgetting just how late the boarding calls are made in the lounge - and busy checking my messages at the time. I was thus one of the last to board.

Although I didn't check the aircraft registrations, it appeared I had the same aircraft (and same seat) as the flight over early in the day. For many of the toilets were out of order and again the latch on a couple of overhead bins wasn't working. If it wasn't the same aircraft then it is a bad coincidence. If it is the same aircraft, then over 5 flights today I have had only 2 separate aircraft and only 3 separate seats!

The flight was very, very empty (less than 20% full). Newspapers were offered to all and of course no problem with catering.

Dinner was a choice of curry chicken or spaghetti bolognaise. The movie was Ratatouille.

I slept almost the whole flight.

On arrival there was no one in the pier as I sped down it. I was then surprised to see the upper level immigration (for Australia and NZ passport holders) was open. It has been a long time since I've seen it open. The reason quickly became apparent - a lot of flights had recently arrived and there were big queues. For some reason processing seemed to be slower and involve more questions than usual. Another long wait at customs check - the queue reached the full length of the baggage claim area and doubled back. By the time I had gotten through agriculture x-ray and out landside it was an hour since I'd landed. It has been a long time since it has taken me this long to get through at Auckland (at least without getting secondary). For those with passports other than Australia and NZ I estimate it would have taken 90 minutes to get through, or more (I am a fast walker).

Outside I was shocked to see no taxis. Apparently the Christmas in the Park show and lots of Christmas parties were keeping cabs busy. Fortunately cabs started arriving some 10 minutes later, but not nice to wait after such a long day. Still it could have been worse. While other passengers waited in a long line by the main stand, I waited at a secondary stand (used by a particular cab company only) and got the first cab to arrive.

So a very long travel day ended on a down note, but now having had a glimpse into Lord Howe Island I am busy figuring out when to go for a proper visit.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
On arrival at immigration there was a modest queue, so I decided to use the express card to use the empty express lane. You keep the card to show at express security and they are supposed to collect it. However they forgot and I didn't mind keeping it to reuse another time. ...
Actually, the emmigration agent does not collect your card; you hand it to the agent at the e X-Ray. (At least in MEL, I assume it's the same in Sydney)

I often use the express emmigration lane, but keep the card and use the normal x-ray when it's not busy.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:22 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

that is what I did this time
Old Dec 11, 2007, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Aha! so express security in this context = X-ray.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 11:24 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

yes - sorry for being unclear

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.