Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Singapore (SQ) new first and business class, plus a medley of 12 F & C SQ flights

Singapore (SQ) new first and business class, plus a medley of 12 F & C SQ flights

Old Jan 10, 2007, 11:47 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some

Index to my trip reports

If you like this report, you may be interested in some of my other trip reports.
  1. AKL-YYZ with NZ/AC in F & C - my first trip report
  2. Europe to Iceland & return on Icelandair (FI) - somewhere different
  3. Some FTers DO the Inaugural Worlds Longest Flight SIN-EWR vv 28 June 2004 - 2 long flights back to back
  4. 7 Crazy Days - includes an almost inaugural flight
  5. Champagne and figure eights on ice - Antarctica flightseeing
  6. a Lit.tle sPRinG.Ly JoUrney (BUDding KiwiS Can zig-ZAG around Europe) - mostly central and eastern Europe
  7. Big DO DOs - or a Kiwi Flyer's Month of Madness - lots of flights
  8. Another Manic Month for Kiwi - again lots of flights
  9. Mini Tour of NZ - over 100 domestic flights in New Zealand covering all domestic routes (ongoing)
  10. Across the Globe in 5 Continents - criss-crossing the globe
  11. Auckland to National Park by Train - train in New Zealand's North Island
  12. Across the Globe in 5 Continents Again - criss-crossing the globe, but this time mainly on One World
  13. A Warm Embrace of the Tropics - short trips to the tropical South Pacific
  14. Singapore (SQ) new first and business class, plus a medley of 12 F & C SQ flights - name says it all really
  15. Across the Globe in 4 Continents - around the world on star alliance, including some unusual flights
  16. Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Sampler - a sampling of Qantas flights, domestic and international, in economy and business (ongoing)
  17. Around the World in Under 60 Hours - around the world in a weekend
  18. The Heat is On - another longhaul economy trip in under 60 hours - what a contrast, Asia and Qantas' new first class lounges
  19. Fast on the ground and in the air - it must be Shanghai – a flying visit to Shanghai + Maglev
  20. It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y – mostly One World
  21. Back and forth across the Pacific on a variety of airlines in a selection of classes - 16 crossings of the Pacific plus some other related flights
  22. It isn't every day that you witness a hijacking attempt + NZ's forgotten 4th island - a visit to Chatham Islands coincides with New Zealand's first hijacking attempt
  23. There and back - first day Air NZ flies to Coolangatta (Gold Coast)
  24. A Run Around (part of) The Axis of Evil: A Perfect *A RTW in C? - Axis of Evil 0 US Immigration 1
  25. Wellington to Auckland by train - self-explanatory title
  26. A mad couple of days flying, including domestic international flights - a double longhaul inaugural, domestic international shuttle and domestic leg of an international flight
  27. Regional C *A RTW & (hopefully) finishing flying every route (100+) for an airline - featuring new QF First on A380 special flight, "you have to get off now", and 105th different current route with NZ
  28. One World Revolutions - Around Mostly the Southern Hemisphere - mostly Southern Hemisphere and mostly on One World on a mix of products
  29. Cris-cros the Med & the Globe on Emirates, Qantas & Star Alliance in mix of F/C/Y+/Y – starting with EK First on A380 and ending with Qantas economy, with a lot of travel mostly on *A in between
  30. An FTer flies to a Do (or Why take the nonstop when you can fly 10 flights instead?) - combining an FT Do with an aerial tour of northern Queensland
  31. The Ultimate Qantas Flight - short report on the ultimate flight
  32. Premium Flying Across the Ditch (Between New Zealand and Australia) - experiencing the forward cabins on Trans-Tasman flights (ongoing)
  33. 5 Boeings Straight to the Airbus Do - FTer feasts in first, business & economy - my journey to & from the *A / Airbus Mega Do
  34. NZ route oddities & One World turns by night (redeye special) - an odd collection of flight routes & schedules around the world
  35. From my first low cost redeye to a first class trifecta - an insane fortnight - some firsts of all types
  36. G'day, kia orana - it's another inaugural flight in Air New Zealand business class - a day & night tripping around the South Pacific on Air NZ
  37. A Feast of First Class Flying on British Airways, Qantas and Emirates - long distance in style
  38. A Weekend of Old and New - Lufthansa first & business, Air New Zealand business - a quick longhaul trip featuring some old and new products
  39. Star Alliance tres primo, and tres biz - a trio of first and business on Star Alliance
  40. A few flights to end 2011 - a quick trip around the world + more
  41. Five Continents in 3 Days and Some Other Mad Trips in 2012 - a selection of my 2012 travels
  42. Sky Team madness - 14 weeks, 200k miles, 5 continents, CI brand new business – mostly Sky Team
  43. Off to Star megado on Oneworld - mostly business incl brand new AA 787
  44. A Glutton for Punishment: red eye, new world's longest flight & more, in comfort?

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 1, 2016 at 4:04 pm Reason: Update index of my TRs
Old Jan 10, 2007, 11:53 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Report coming soon.
Tease

Why am I not surprised that you are the first (I think) to write a report on the new First on SQ
Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA
Report coming soon.
Grrr

MCS? taps fingers impatiently waiting....
Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Sorry. Thought this would prompt me to hurry up with the writing.

It will be posted soon, I promise.

================

Report coming soon.

My usual year end round the world travel plans in disarray due to events unfolding after I had made some bookings, I hastily attempted to salvage some decent travel. I think I managed to succeed - with 12 flights on Singapore Airlines, all in business and first class, on several aircraft types and even managing to route such as to experience the new (well a couple of weeks old by the time I flew) first and business class on their new 77W (777-300ER) aircraft.

Index to this trip report
  1. Introduction
  2. Auckland to Singapore in Business Class on SQ 747
  3. Auckland to Singapore SQ286 Business Class Menu December 2006
  4. Singapore
  5. Singapore to Bangkok in Business Class on SQ 747
  6. Singapore to Bangkok SQ60 Business Class Menu December 2006
  7. Bangkok to Singapore in First Class on SQ 747
  8. Bangkok to Singapore SQ63 First Class Menu December 2006
  9. Singapore to Jakarta in Business Class on SQ A345
  10. Singapore to Jakarta SQ162 Business Class Menu December 2006
  11. Jakarta to Singapore in Business Class on SQ A345
  12. Jakarta to Singapore SQ163 Business Class Menu December 2006
  13. Singapore to Paris in First Class on SQ 77W
  14. Singapore Airlines New First Class 77W
  15. Singapore to Paris SQ334 First Class Menu December 2006
  16. Paris
  17. Paris to Singapore in Business Class on SQ 77W
  18. Singapore Airlines New Business Class 77W
  19. Paris to Singapore SQ333 Business Class Menu December 2006
  20. Summary of New Product 77W
  21. Singapore to Jakarta in Business Class on SQ A345
  22. Singapore to Jakarta SQ154 Business Class Menu December 2006
  23. Jakarta to Singapore in Business Class on SQ A345
  24. Jakarta to Singapore SQ165 Business Class Menu December 2006
  25. Singapore to Bangkok in Business Class on SQ 773
  26. Singapore to Bangkok SQ67 Business Class Menu December 2006
  27. Bangkok to Singapore in Business Class on SQ 773
  28. Bangkok to Singapore SQ67 Business Class Menu December 2006
  29. Singapore to Auckland in Business Class on SQ 747
  30. Singapore to Auckland SQ285 Business Class Menu Christmas 2006

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 1, 2016 at 4:04 pm
Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:57 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Sorry. Thought this would prompt me to hurry up with the writing.

It will be posted soon, I promise.
...waiting here...
Old Jan 10, 2007, 2:38 pm
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Wow ..... I'm getting dizzy ...... seems to be going round in circles, and seeing the same thread again and again .....
Old Jan 10, 2007, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anxiously waiting!
Old Jan 10, 2007, 5:35 pm
jhm

Still waiting!
Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:53 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Be patient....Kiwiflyer is probably tapping away frantically at this very moment trying to get the TR finished. It will be worth waiting for...as we all know.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I look forward to reading the report when its up Kiwi
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:33 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

INTRODUCTION

Due to some unexpected events and changes to my schedule I found myself cancelling a booked round the world and searching for ideas for alternative travel. Given the relatively short notice and being at a very busy time of year for airlines, I was relieved to be able to cobble something together that certainly wasn’t the most efficient set of flights but fitted my constraints. I would get to try the new business class on Singapore Airlines’ new 77W aircraft just a couple of weeks after the inaugural flights.

I’d been trying for an upgrade for a few weeks watching the nil availability even in full fare on the flights thinking an upgrade was impossible. Yet I managed to clear an upgrade at the last minute (day before departure) to get to try first class on the 77W as well. Yay.

So lots of SQ flights. Both business class and first class. Several different aircraft types. The newest first and business class products to look forward to. Yes I was anticipating this trip with glee. The observant amongst the readers of this little report will have noted I am referring to business class and not Raffles class. Yes it’s true that after using the Raffles name to denote business class for a long time, SQ has decided to conform to industry standard and call it business class – the end of an era. Still I can’t be too depressed as it is still one of the best business class products around, and with the latest improvements I am sure to enjoy the flights.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:33 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

AUCKLAND to SINGAPORE in Business Class on SQ 747

After a hectic morning with last minute meetings and seeing to all the miscellany of stuff that had to be dealt with before I went, I was glad to settle back on the way to the airport and start relaxing. Traffic was crazy and instead of the usual 30-40 minutes the trip took about 80 minutes. Fortunately I’d anticipated this and left earlier than normal. Besides I wanted to chill out in the lounge pre-flight and a late check in wouldn’t give me this option.

Arriving at the airport I head straight for the F class check in line, which I’m entitled to use thanks to my status. This is the only line in the whole check in area, for all airlines, without a big queue (or indeed any queue at all), on this very busy travel day. I’m processed for check in quickly despite the agent being new. It wasn’t until later that I noticed that she’d ignored the proferred FFP # and the boarding pass showed my Kris Flyer status only rather than PPS status plus the status of the FFP I am crediting miles too. Regular SQ flyers know this spells trouble. I guess I was distracted chatting to the SQ rep.

As usual I pay the departure tax to bypass the big queues at the bank (and avoid the machines using ATM cards to pay for departure tax). The check in agent asks if I know where to go for pre-cleared immigration and to the lounge, then pauses to think and comments “Oh I guess you already know that!”. I answer “yes, thank you” and smile.

Amazingly there is no queue at the immigration desk for premium passengers on SQ, CX, EK etc. So I am soon threading my way through the mass of people downstairs and then up to the pre-cleared immigration line. Here there is a moderate wait, but not as bad as the wait in the main queues. Then on the familiar trek through the labyrinth to the lounge, right, ahead, right again, left, right, up the escalator, and hard left. I’m welcomed back to the lounge by the bouncer.

As the lounge is fairly full I head for a shower to freshen up while there still are showers free. Then it is time for a snack – mmmm Christmas goodies as well as the usual fine lounge fare, and a drink or three.

The time to boarding passes quickly and I then notice the incorrect FFP on my boarding pass. So I head out to the gate a couple of minutes early (for NZ are unable to adjust it in the lounge) and get the FFP # changed at the gate. Either it didn’t stick or SQ had already processed the mileage credits for the flight as miles did end up on Kris Flyer. Grrrr. This annoyed me even more than it used to as the upcoming February massive devaluation makes them worth even less than the larger number of miles I would have earned on another FFP.

But I digress. Boarding has now commenced so I head on up to my favourite SQ business seat – the upper deck exit row window. I am the first one to board upstairs, which is most unusual for me as I would normally wait in the lounge until boarding is almost complete. I grab a Straits Times and a couple of magazines and settle in with pre-departure drink while boarding progresses.

We push back on time, have a short taxi and take off over the city, turn and head across the Tasman Sea. Flight time is announced as being longer than normal due to strong head winds, and indeed our flight path is more northerly than average. So no views of Sydney or Uluru (Ayers Rock).

The flight passes quickly in a blur of eating, drinking, and watching the landscape of northern Australia and Indonesia pass by – at first under clear skies but from near Darwin onwards the view is glimpsed in between towering thunderstorms. We land to a wet Singapore somewhat late.

Only one runway is in operation and so we have a long taxi more than half way around the terminal complex to get to our gate – yup F60, the farthest gate from the lounge.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:34 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Auckland to Singapore SQ286 Business Class Menu December 2006

LIGHT MEAL menu

A Savoury Note

Marinated prawns with seasonal salad and orange segments, dill yoghurt dressing

The Main Event

Grilled lamp chops with madeira sauce, seasonal vegetables and roasted fondante potatoes

Grilled salmon with saffron tomato sauce, sautéed vegetables and capellini pasta with mushrooms

Stir fried chicken with pine nuts, seasonal vegetables and fried rice

A Sweet Note

Ice cream

A Connoisseur’s Choice

Gourmet coffee
Selection of tea

SNACK menu

Fancy a snack? Take your pick from our range of delectable snacks and make your selection known to our cabin crew.

Noodles

Fish ball broth with kway teow or bee hoon noodles

Vegetarian and non-vegetarian instant noodles

Sandwiches

Focaccia sandwich with smoked chicken

Focaccia sandwich with guamole and roasted vegetables

Snacks

Roasted mixed nuts

Kjeldsens cookies

Fruit bar

Rivermill manuka honey and kiwifruit biscuits

Cadbury chocolate bar

Potato chips

Bananas

DINNER menu

To Nibble On

Satay
With onion, cucumber and spicy peanut sauce

A Savoury Note

Mesclun with spicy scallop and mango salad
Coriander vinaigrette
Honey mustard dressing

The Main Event

Panfried beef fillet with shredded oxtail sauce, herb-garlic butter, asparagus and fondant potatoes

Ikan sambal
Fish fillet in sambal sauce with vegetables and steamed rice

Stir fried pork with sweet bean paste, Oriental vegetables and fried noodles

Grilled chicken breast and roasted chicken thigh with mushroom served with black peppercorn sauce, roasted vegetables with balsamic

A Sweet Note

Kiwifruit cheesecake

The Cheese Board

Gourmet cheese with garnishes

Fruit

A selection of fresh fruit

A Connoisseur’s Choice

Gourmet coffee
Selection of tea
and pralines

BEVERAGES menu

special cocktail

Orange Cooler

cocktails

Singapore Sling
Silver Kris Sling
Gin Fizz
Cloud Nine
Screwdriver
Bloody Mary
Daiquiri
Red or White Wine Cooler

aperitifs

Campari
Dry Vermouth

non-alcoholic cocktails

Citrus Royale
Tropical Sparkle
Golden Spice
Fruit Spritzer
Sunrise Surprise

spirits

Cognac XO Otard
Chivas Regal Scotch Whisky
Johnnie Walker Black Label
Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey
Gordon’s Dry Gin
Smirnoff Red Label Vodka
Bacardi Carta Blanca

liqueurs

Cointreau
Tia Maria
Baileys Original Irish Cream

beer

International Selection

stout

Guinness Stout

champagne

Piper Heidsieck 1999

white wines

2005 Mount Nelson Sauvignon Blanc
2004 Hattenheimer Schutzenhaus Riesling Kabinett Balthasar Ress.

red wines

Chateau Cissac 1998 Cru Bourgeois Haut Medoc
Chateau Beau-site 2000 Saint-Estephe
Churton Marlborough 2003 Pinot Noir

port

Dow 2001 Late Bottled Vintage Port

tea selection

Pure Ceylon Tea
Earl Grey
Darjeeling
Camomile
Decaffeinated Tea
Japanese Green Tea
Chinese Jasmine Tea
Chinese Oolong Tea

gourmet coffees

Brazil Santos Bourbon
Colombian Supremo
Kenyan AA Kilimanjaro

specialty coffees

Brewed Coffee
Café Royal
Espresso
Cappuccino
Decaffeinated Coffee
Mocha

other beverages

Chocolate
Milo

mineral water

Sparkling mineral water
Non-sparkling mineral water

fruit juices

Apple, Orange, Pineapple and Tomato

soft drinks

Bitter Lemon, Coke, Coke Light, Ginger Ale and Seven-Up

iced drinks

Iced Tea
Iced Coffee
Iced Mocha
Iced Chocolate
Iced Milo

milk

Full Cream or Low Fat
Old Jan 11, 2007, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA GLD
Excellent so far. Can't wait for the new SQ first report ...
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:33 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

SINGAPORE

I head to the first class lounge for some Dom Perignon, and spend several hours catching up on emails and doing some work. FT was down much of the time so I got a reasonable amount done By the time I realised the time it was 4am and not worth going to sleep for a short while so I kept going, figuring that I would have plenty of time to catch up on sleep later. There were quite a few others staying up all night in the lounge, as well as the usual dozen or two sleeping in the slumberette rooms and sprawled across the comfy chairs.

When the lounge check in desk opened the next morning I headed over to get some more boarding passes. It took a lot longer, and more tension on my part, than normal to get these. First the multiple attempts to upgrade weren’t properly linked to my booking (upgrades get a separate record locator) so it took a while for the agent to confirm that I actually had a confirmed upgrade. Oh oh. Would I not get to try the new first class after all? What about the miles that had been deducted – could I get them back?

There seems to be a shortcoming in process – I had received no email or confirmation number for the upgrade, and I couldn’t even show him the deduction of miles from my account without the agent abandoning his post for I couldn’t use his computer to look up my account and the public computers do not have printer access (since earlier in 2006). Eventually I got that sorted only to find the next problem.

Whoever had processed the upgrade had confirmed it for a different flight to the one I’d booked – on the same route but different but similar flight number (SQ631 instead of SQ63). A simple typo but highlights why the recent renumbering of SQ flight numbers supposedly to reduce errors is far from perfect. In some circumstances being on a different flight wouldn’t have mattered but I had other flights to make. Could I get changed back on what is a very busy travel day? Will I have to reschedule my other flights to goodness knows when I will next have the opportunity to take them?

Fortunately there was still space in first on my original flight so I got switched back. Further I had the choice of a seat by itself, meaning there had been an aircraft substitution from 777-300 with regional product to 747-400 with longhaul product – ie Skysuites. Yay.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.