LHR-AUH Business Menu

LUNCH

Starters

Loch Fyne smoked salmon with dill creme fraiche

or

Roast red onion, rocket and Feta cheese salad

Fresh seasonal salad served with vinaigrette

Main

Grilled fillet of beef with balsamic butter, butter bean mash and roast root vegetables

Seared cod with a butter and caper sauce

Penne pasta with tomato basil sauce and Mozzarella cheese

Main course chicken tabouleh salad

Dessert

Toffee apple souffle with toffee sauce

Hereford Hop and Brie cheese

Chocolates

Raid the Larder

A well-stocked larder has long been a tradition in the British household. As our guests, we invite you to raid our own larder, located in the Club World galley. Please feel free to help yourself from the following range of items at any time after the main meal service.

Variety of crisps and dips

Choice of sweet biscuits / cookies

Assortment of chocolate bars

Selection of whole fruit

Drinks

Complimentary bar serving alcoholic beverages and soft drinks is available throughout the flight. See last page of this menu for wine list.

Ground coffee, decaffeinated coffee or tea

Selection of herbal teas - peppermint, blackcurrant, apple or camomile and honey

WINES

Champagne cocktails

Kir Royale
Buck's Fizz

Champagne

Heidsieck Monopole Blue Top Brut Reserve Champagne

White

Wakefield Estate Riesling 2004, Clare Valley

Pouilly-Loche 2004, Louis Max

Red

Wakefield Shiraz 2004, Clare Valley

Vasse Felix Margaret River Cabernet Merlot 2003

Gigondas 2004, Domaine du Grand Montmirail, Cuvee Vielles Vignes
Old Sep 28, 2006, 12:34 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Abu Dhabi to Muscat (AUH-MCT) Business Class on BA 777

The handful of passengers continuing on to Muscat had to stay onboard for the short transit, identify their carry-ons in the bins (presumably any bags not identified would be offloaded) and sit back while a quick clean was done (mainly or only the bathrooms from what I could see) and could hear and feel cargo being unloaded beneath us. Then a handful of passengers boarded and after just 45 minutes on the ground we pushed back.

With such a light load and only a short flight ahead of us the takeoff roll was very short and we climbed very quickly to cruise altitude of 29,000 feet. During the short flight there was enough time for a drinks run and canapes were served. Then less than 40 minutes later we touched down in Muscat.

As far as I could see there are no air bridges so we pulled up on the apron. Very quickly 2 busses pulled up alongside and stairs were set up - highly efficient although I am sure we could all have fitted in 1 bus. A few steps outside in the still hot desert night before stepping into the airconditioned bus for the short ride to the terminal.

Transfer was painless - no need to clear immigration just head to the (empty except for staff) transit desks where I got my boarding pass printed quickly, through security and down to the Oman Air lounge. If I hadn't been told by the agent at the transit desk where the lounge was I possibly wouldn't have found it since no signs pointed to it on the departure level.

The lounge is very nice. No showers, but all the other amenities and a great spread of mainly cold food (plus a couple of hot items) and non-alcholic drinks. Oh yeah and computers, where I am currently sitting typing this report.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 12:42 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Summary days 1-6
  • map
  • 32,783 flown miles
  • 9 flights
  • 3 a/c types
    • 747-400
    • 767-300
    • 777-200
  • 3 airlines
    • SQ
    • QF
    • BA
  • 7 countries
    • New Zealand
    • Singapore
    • Japan
    • Australia
    • United Kingdom
    • United Arab Emirates
    • Oman
  • 7 airports (number of transfers)
    • 3 SIN
    • 2 AKL
    • 1 NRT, SYD, LHR, AUH, MCT
Old Sep 28, 2006, 6:35 pm
CGK

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Singapore to London Heathrow (SIN-LHR) Business Class on BA 747

..., and no amenity kit (even though Singapore Airlines doesn't have an amenity kit in business class it at least hands out sockettes and you can get the rest of the stuff in the bathroom - I got nothing).
Last time I flew BA J, I got a Molton Brown amenity kits. Or, am I dreaming?
Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by CGK
Last time I flew BA J, I got a Molton Brown amenity kits. Or, am I dreaming?
No, you are not dreaming. One flight ealier this year I managed to get two ...
Old Sep 28, 2006, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Singapore to London Heathrow (SIN-LHR) Business Class on BA 747

I am sure some readers will think I am quibbling over minor things, but it is these touches that give the wrong impression on me, so that instead of being great as it so easily could be I think the product is merely good.
No you are not quibbling. BA J class service has to my experience been hit and miss. Sometimes, as in my last two sectors, they have been brilliant.

Others, my last SIN-LHR run, they were quite ordinary. Some of the crew doing these legs are on their way home from a LHR-SIN-SYD run and proabably just want the flight over and done with.

You should have received a Molton Brown amenity bag and it was very remiss of them not to give you one. You should have asked as it is a published benefit of flying Club World on BA.

A good crew makes all the difference on these long flights.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 12:26 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

What I think happened is they got confused about who joined the flight in Singapore (me) and those who flew all the way from Sydney. I presume those flying SYD-LHR only get one kit?
Old Sep 29, 2006, 12:27 am

Thanks

Thanks for the report! Really enjoyable and I love the menu transcript!

Regarding amenity kits (missing on BA), are their disappearances due to the recent security rules concerning lotions, lip balms and toothpaste? Just guessing and want to see if it is a permanent rule.

It seems that amenity kits are beginning to disappear on business class... a very strange trend considered the scramble of most airlines to introduce a new generation of flat bed seats. I guess BA may be following Virgin's trend, but Virgin gives out PJs on overnight flights though...

Anyway, thanks for the report and look forward to the rest! I assume you do not receive an amenity kit on the LHR-Muscat flight as well...

Carfield
Old Sep 29, 2006, 12:27 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

The lounge is very nice. No showers
Correction - the Oman Air lounge is Muscat does have showers. I just missed seeing them before I posted.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:19 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
What I think happened is they got confused about who joined the flight in Singapore (me) and those who flew all the way from Sydney. I presume those flying SYD-LHR only get one kit?

Yes that has been my experience. They only give you the one kit if you are flying from SYD-SIN-LHR.

Carfield. BA were still giving the kits out early September when I flew to YVR.

I would suggest that Kiwi Flyer is correct and it was a case of the crew mixing up who was new with who had flown from SYD.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:20 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I got a kit on flights to and from Muscat. Of course with current UK liquids ban I can't take it with me without dumping most of the contents.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:20 pm
CGK

Programs: UA MM
I got a kit on flights to and from Muscat. Of course with current UK liquids ban I can't take it with me without dumping most of the contents.
Since you will go through LHR, most probably you will have to dump certain stuff. But when I boarded my flights to the US from NRT, twice already, eventhough the security checked everything, I did mentioned to her about amenity kits I received from the previous flight, as well as from NRT lounge, and she let me go with those.
But I know, LHR has different rule. Will fly LHR-ORD next month. Will read your report about your flight crossing the Atlantic. I can't pack my carry-on into one small bag at the moment.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Arrow Kiwi

Ygpm @:-)
Old Oct 1, 2006, 4:14 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Apologies for the lack of recent updates - been a bit too busy and much of my connection times has been eaten up by flight delays and security queues.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 9:55 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Muscat to Abu Dhabi (MCT-AUH) Business Class on BA 777

The lounge got surprisingly full - quite a few flights leave around the same time in the middle of the night from Muscat. When we were called I made my way to the gate. Since the transfer desk hadn't pulled the paper coupon I had to get my ticket out. The gate agent was astonished at the size of the booklet (lots and lots of pages since not only did I have the current ticket but also the original stapled to it to properly account for all the taxes and fees, and I guess also register the version of RTW rules that would apply in case I wanted to make further changes).

Security was quick and onto the bus. Seconds later it pulled out to the aircarft fairly empty. So again 2 buses used for the small number of passengers. For this flight I had the exact same seat as I flew in on the same aircraft.

Doors closed early and while we settled in to pre-departure drinks the captain announces we will wait on the tarmac until scheduled departure since there are currently no free gates at Abu Dhabi.

The flight eventually gets under way and is a repeat of the flight in - drinks, canapes, very short. When we arrive at Abu Dhabi we have a short wait for an aircraft to clear the gate.

We're told the transit will be 45 minutes, but it turns out to be closer to 90 minutes. No cleaners this time, and no need to confirm our carry ons, just loading cargo and an almost full load of passengers. Again, through passengers have to stay on board for the duration.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.