Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Road Trip: PHL, PIT, CVG Memorial Day weekend

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2006, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Road Trip: PHL, PIT, CVG Memorial Day weekend

Well, I do not foresee a mileage run for Memorial Day weekend so I am planning a road trip to see some baseball parks and games. Tentative itinerary includes Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati. Looking for suggestions for lodging, eating, and visiting. I tend to enjoy scenic drives rather than the interstates, so please suggest some cool drives. too.

I figure that I must go to Geno's and/or Pat's in PHL. Any other can't-miss informal eateries in these cities or along the roads between?

Also, any tips for getting tickets welcome. In Baltimore's park, they have a no-scalp zone, where tickets are sold for face value or less. Do these other ballparks have something similar? Or are there plenty of extras?

Thanks. ^
Old May 16, 2006, 7:34 am
Original Poster

No suggestions for Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, or Cincinnati?
Old May 16, 2006, 10:58 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Not sure if all those cities have entries, but for good eats check out the Favorite Restaurants in Your Home Town thread in this forum.

EmailKid
Old May 16, 2006, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
{CVG}
Shouldn't have a problem getting Reds tickets at the ballpark, unless they are playing the Indians that weekend.

How many days are you planning on for the whole trip?

Have a few coneys in CVG. (Or if feeling adventurous, get a 3-, 4- or 5- way. )

Could also think about the Montgomery Inn for ribs.

I figure you probably aren't looking for $100 steaks, so I'll skip the steakhouse recommendations.

Nicholson's is a good pub, with really good food. (both pub and fine-dining type food)

Newport-on-the-Levee or Jillians are good entertainment/nightlife-type venues, I guess, although I never really explored the party hangouts when I lived in CVG.

Last edited by empedocles; May 16, 2006 at 1:16 pm
Old May 17, 2006, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emailkid
Not sure if all those cities have entries, but for good eats check out the Favorite Restaurants in Your Home Town thread in this forum.
Will do. Thanks. ^
Old May 17, 2006, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by empedocles
{CVG}
Shouldn't have a problem getting Reds tickets at the ballpark, unless they are playing the Indians that weekend.

How many days are you planning on for the whole trip?

Have a few coneys in CVG. (Or if feeling adventurous, get a 3-, 4- or 5- way. )

Could also think about the Montgomery Inn for ribs.

I figure you probably aren't looking for $100 steaks, so I'll skip the steakhouse recommendations.

Nicholson's is a good pub, with really good food. (both pub and fine-dining type food)

Newport-on-the-Levee or Jillians are good entertainment/nightlife-type venues, I guess, although I never really explored the party hangouts when I lived in CVG.
Thank you for the recommendations. ^
Old May 18, 2006, 9:34 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Just looking at this again. Can't imagine trouble getting tix for the Pirates from the normal channel (no need to buy from scalp). Friday night the 26th is fireworks, which is always more popular, but other than that I think you'll be okay.

These guys http://www.primantibros.com/ make a sorta famous sandwich. You can get them at PNC Park, even, but the original is on 18th Street in the Strip. "Can't miss" may be a stretch IMO, but don't let anyone from Pittsburgh know I said that.

If brew pub is your thing the better home grown ones are The Church http://www.churchbrewworks.com/ and Penn Brewery http://www.pennbrew.com/

Take in the view of downtown from Mt Washington and/or the West End Overlook.
Old May 18, 2006, 10:48 am

Avoid Pat's & Geno's in PHL and go to Tony Luke's. Much better sandwiches, same Philly 'tood.
Old May 23, 2006, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
Avoid Pat's & Geno's in PHL and go to Tony Luke's. Much better sandwiches, same Philly 'tood.
Perhaps I will try more than one. Thank you.
Old May 23, 2006, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CrazyOne
Just looking at this again. Can't imagine trouble getting tix for the Pirates from the normal channel (no need to buy from scalp). Friday night the 26th is fireworks, which is always more popular, but other than that I think you'll be okay.

These guys http://www.primantibros.com/ make a sorta famous sandwich. You can get them at PNC Park, even, but the original is on 18th Street in the Strip. "Can't miss" may be a stretch IMO, but don't let anyone from Pittsburgh know I said that.

If brew pub is your thing the better home grown ones are The Church http://www.churchbrewworks.com/ and Penn Brewery http://www.pennbrew.com/

Take in the view of downtown from Mt Washington and/or the West End Overlook.

Thank you.
Old May 24, 2006, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
Couldn't agree more, though I think the 'tood at Tony Lukes is more authentic and less contrived than at Pat's or Geno's. Still one of my faves is a roast pork with broccoli rabe and extra sharp provolone. Heart attack in a bun, but what a way to go.
Old May 24, 2006, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, Priority Club Plat.
OK, here are a few thoughts .......

CVG - Montgomery Inn has great ribs, not a rib shack at all (white tablecloths should give you a hint). I also recommend at least one stop for fast food chili, either gold star or skyline, to me that is a Cincinnati tradition.

PIT - The original Primanti Brothers is worth a visit.

In both cities, lots of street tickets that will be cheaper than the ticket office. In CVG, "sellers" wear badges showing they are licensed (just means they paid a fee, don't hesitate to buy from anyone, an unlicensed seller is a risk for them to get in trouble, not you as the buyer. The licensed guys are not more honest, just they paid a fee.
Old May 24, 2006, 12:30 pm

Programs: Amtrak slumbercoach value club
For CVG, treat yourself to some Graeter's ice cream. Just make sure you get a chip flavor of some sort; otherwise, it just seems like such a waste of an opportunity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.