This egg mayo madness has to stop .....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2006, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
This egg mayo madness has to stop .....

Since even I am not crazy enough to pay £100 extra per person for a one-way CE upgrade, we came back from Nice in ET last night. (Did CE on the way out, though - in typical BA fashion it was cheaper than ET as they only had flexible ET left when we booked!)

Thus it was that I had an egg mayo sandwich dropped in my lap after take-off. This is the second time out of 2 ET flights in recent months that I have had this disgusting concoction given to me. Now I know why BA serves egg mayo sandwiches - they do not upset a) the veggies or b) any minority UK religious groups - but that still leaves about 90% of the UK population who wouldn't mind seeing something with a bit of meat in it. Or, indeed, anything except egg.

I did a very unscientific survey based on the 6 of us in Row 10. 1 had not even bothered to take a sandwich, 2 of us (inc me) appear to have opened the box and then refused to touch the sandwich, whilst another 3 (including Ms Raffles and the person on my left) had opened it, eaten half and then left the other half in disgust. None of the 6 had got through the whole thing.

Now, you would imagine that somewhere at BA there is someone who knows how many sandwiches are given out and then given back to uneaten or half-eaten. So, you imagine, they would have realised by now that egg mayo is not a good choice. So why won't they listen??!!

(PS. Over in the luxury hotels forum last month, I posted that I had stayed at a mass-market hotel in Mexico for one night and had been pleasantly surprised by the number of attractive young women you find at these places. Sadly cute 20 year olds don't, in general, stay at the sort of places I normally go these days! On a similar vein, the one positive aspect of ET last night was - whilst in CE Ms Raffles and I would get an A-C row to ourselves - in ET she had a window and I had the middle. This allowed a very cute French girl in a micro mini-skirt to take the aisle seat next to me. ET does have some benefits, albeit egg mayo sarnies is not one of them.)
Old Apr 18, 2006, 2:30 am

Programs: PC
I guess I'm in the 10% that likes egg & mayo
Old Apr 18, 2006, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Raffles
Now, you would imagine that somewhere at BA there is someone who knows how many sandwiches are given out and then given back to uneaten or half-eaten. So, you imagine, they would have realised by now that egg mayo is not a good choice. So why won't they listen??!!
Worse, they probably interpret the results as: look at this waste and refusal to eat our lovely enhanced in-flight catering. Clearly most people don't want food on flights. I know, let's roll out Connect across the network
Old Apr 18, 2006, 2:36 am

the food changes every week in a 4 week rotation
Old Apr 18, 2006, 2:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by lgw29
hey, stop letting facts get in the way of a good rant
Old Apr 18, 2006, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I really fail to see how only having one sort of sandwich saves money. Loading four boxes of egg vs two boxes of egg and two of pork is not exactly a great economy.

Yes, it saves time on the plane giving the things out (none of this 'egg or pork' stuff) - but you're on a plane! It's not as if the crew have got somewhere else to go ....

This is why I am actually pro-FR or EZ for short hops in economy. At least I can have a choice of sarni there, and there is an outside chance they won't be dried up .... The only benefit of using BA is OLCI which, admittedly, for a tall bloke like me is a lifesaver in getting an exit row or bulkhead. Oh, and the fact that EZ was actually more expensive yesterday for Nice-Lon than BA!
Old Apr 18, 2006, 2:59 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver
True, on my last 3 hour flight back from HEL we received cheese sandwiches in ET. About as popular as the egg mayo. And no micro-skirted cuties neither.

Now if there was some way on MMB/OLCI to show what the person occupying a seat looked like then that would make things much more interesting...
Old Apr 18, 2006, 3:00 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by Raffles
This allowed a very cute French girl in a micro mini-skirt to take the aisle seat next to me. ET does have some benefits, albeit egg mayo sarnies is not one of them.)
I'm surprised that Mrs Raffles didn't wipe your face with the egg mayo sarnie after seeing you ogle the legs next to you.

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Worse, they probably interpret the results as: look at this waste and refusal to eat our lovely enhanced in-flight catering. Clearly most people don't want food on flights. I know, let's roll out Connect across the network.
Yup you can see it coming - just as night follows day.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 3:02 am
norodnik

There is no right solution.

If you don't feed the masses on BA, everyone complains they are becoming a LCC.

So, to appease the masses and keep the marketing people happy, BA serves something which is as cheap as it is revolting.

I think a good way out of this would be to offer drinks and nuts/crisps as per usual and then come around with a breadbasket type of affair like you get in CE with a selection of spreads (jam, marmite, etc etc).

This way BA avoids "a one revolting sandwich fits all" and has a chance of giving people at worst a role with butter and at best something the customer can eat. In addition, the individual spreads don't perish so you can keep them for the next flights.

Old Apr 18, 2006, 3:10 am

Programs: BD DC, BA EC, AAdvantage, Hhonors and now NZ Aipoints
Originally Posted by BitPipe
True, on my last 3 hour flight back from HEL we received cheese sandwiches in ET. About as popular as the egg mayo. And no micro-skirted cuties neither.

Now if there was some way on MMB/OLCI to show what the person occupying a seat looked like then that would make things much more interesting...
Tell me about it

a few weeks ago I did LHR - RIX - LHR and a day later LHR - VIE - LHR

Cheese and coleslaw "roll" on all 4 segments - bleurgh,

P
Old Apr 18, 2006, 4:00 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Are you saying that the egg sandwich is the worst? Despite being quite hungry the other evening I just couldn't stomach the tuna thing they gave me - maybe to do with the 8 additives I spotted on the label - how can 1 sandwich need that many additives?

And don't get me started on "something savory" - they literally had sliced up the wraps they didn't use and lunch and served them with thousand island dressing - yum....
Old Apr 18, 2006, 4:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Can't be much worse than the revolting salmon that follows me around in CE..
Old Apr 18, 2006, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by srbrenna
Well I was woken up about 3am this morning, somewhere over Latvia I believe, to be treated to a NCW breakfast of runny (I mean seriously runny) omelette filled with crabmeat.

What a nice start to the day.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 4:36 am

Programs: BA, UA
September - December last year, flying economy at least twice a month between LON and BCN - I do not remember a single flight when I was offered anything other than Egg Mayo. On the last two occasions I even said to the very friendly stewardess sitting in the jumpseat in front of us on the 767, please tell me, its not egg mayo in the deli box today
Originally Posted by aforementioned stewardess
I'm not sure until I get to the trolley..
When she reaches us with the trolley.. we're out of luck yet again it seems.

Originally Posted by srbrenna
The wife has also expressed disgust at the salmon, I haven't yet been a victim..

Last edited by chris18london; Apr 18, 2006 at 4:43 am
Old Apr 18, 2006, 4:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Well I was woken up about 3am this morning, somewhere over Latvia I believe, to be treated to a NCW breakfast of runny (I mean seriously runny) omelette filled with crabmeat.

What a nice start to the day.
You need to be careful - that could give you salmonella

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.