Search

From my first low cost redeye to a first class trifecta - an insane fortnight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2010, 6:46 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Aside from acknowledging yet another interesting and entertaining report from one of FlyerTalk's most prolific writers, I'd also like to take a moment to thank you for taking the time to transcript each and every one of your menus along with that spectacular listing from the Lufthansa First Class Terminal.
Thanks. Transcribing menus helps fill in time in transit.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
these reports will be available for viewing years from now via Google search or FlyerTalk archives. The extra 30 minutes spent transcripting today will be appreciated by many years from now.
Indeed. There is also a cross reference made in the all airline FT menu collection to make them easier to find.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I don't want to be too picky but the agent was correct, you do need a visa for Australia. NZ citizens need a visa for Australia, Australians do not need a visa for NZ until your new legislation comes into effect.

The important thing for the agent however should be that NZ citizens will get a Special Category Visa issued upon arrival and do not need a visa before boarding.
Well I'll be. That's new to me.

Fancy that the Trans-Tasman neighbours be requiring explicit visas to enter each others countries.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 2:15 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

FRANKFURT to BANGKOK (FRA-BKK) on Lufthansa 747-400 in first class

At the gate they weren't quite ready so I had a short wait. The end of the pier was moderately busy with flights headed in all directions. The red eye to Istanbul was boarding at an adjacent gate.

As is usual when confronted with dual airbridges when seating upstairs I took the "economy" one. I just can't see the point of the hassles of boarding at door 1 only to have to force my way through the second cabin to get to the stairs. The only time I make an exception is when priority boarding has been disbanded and there are large queues in the economy airbridge. The crew manning door 2 were a bit surprised I'd done this but I was up the stairs before anyone else who'd taken the first + business airbridge.

I took out from the bag the few things I wanted and put them in the large cubby hole inside the armrest, before stowing the bag in the closet at the rear. I grabbed a magazine from the shelf on the way back to my seat. I was seated with drink in hand in no time.

As well as the pre-departure drinks, pajamas, slippers and an amenity kit were handed out. No more rimowa kits, back to the bogor ones. The load tonight was light with about 5 passengers - so a whole row of 4 seats to myself. Not quite flying solo but if I ignore the couple in front I can pretend it is since the 2 passengers behind slept the entire flight.

With a low load there was ample top-ups of the drinks. I remember watching the safety video and handing back my glass. Next thing I recall I was waking up from a nap and we were well into the air. A menu had been placed beside me and the meal service was about to begin. I grabbed my carry on from the closet and placed it on the floor by an empty seat for easier access. I was allowed to keep it there the rest of the flight.

The Lufthansa first class meal service is always long and slow. I considered taking the express meal option but, since I'm travelling for another couple of days figured I could catch up the sleep later and chose the full meal service. Despite the light load, tonight was no exception to the languid pace. While I rather like eating slowly I do think they overdo it a bit on overnight flights as most passengers would not want dinner/supper to take over 2 hours and only finish more than 3 hours into the flight. Fine for a daytime flight, a bit long for overnight, I reckon.

By the time the meal had finished I'd seen both movies that were worth watching on the IFE. The selection on Lufthansa really is small. While sometimes there are several worth seeing, other times like tonight the options are bad. This is why I so like airlines with large IFE selections (50+ movies) - even though most people will not get to see them all, there is at least a big enough range to keep everyone happy.

After dinner I was given a water bottle and asked if I wanted to be woken for breakfast. I gave my usual answer of no, but I'll have breakfast if I'm awake. A last nightcap for me and I drifted off to sleep for the second time.

I awoke a few hours later and much earlier than I intended. Perhaps it was the gentle tinkle of cutlery and crockery as crew prepared for breakfast in the galley trying hard not to disturb the tranquility of the cabin, or perhaps it was the glow around the closed window shades as we flew through mid-morning sun, or perhaps it was my body clock in chaos through the rapid changes of time zones and disrupted sleep patterns of the previous few days. Whatever the cause I was grumpy I hadn't slept for longer and annoyed that I couldn't get back to sleep.

After a while I gave up trying and scrolled through the programs trying to find something interesting. The monitor on the adjacent seat I set to flight path so I could track progress while I watched something else.

Breakfast started 2 hours before arrival, so that makes over 40% of the flight time taken up with meal services! I had some fruit and a couple of coffees and finished up quickly to use the bathroom before the rush. A force of habit of mine to do this, the result of hundreds of longhaul flights, which really I didn't need to bother with given the light load in first class.

We arrived on time and got a gate in the middle of the terminal.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 2:16 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Lufthansa
First Class menu
Frankfurt to Bangkok
April 2010

Dreamer's Delight

Use the time on board to get some restful sleep; in the form of our Dreamer's Delight, a select meal served in one course.

Cold Gourmet Plate

Marinated Tenderloin of Beef with Teriyaki Sauce and Asian Vegetable Salad, Artichokes and Tomatoes with roasted Sesame and Salad of Corn fed Poulard

or

Hot Specialty

Apple and Lime Risotto with Ginger and Carro Puree

Cheese and Dessert

Bleu de Gex, Fougerus and Livarot Cheese

Fresh Fruit

Menu

Choice of Hors d’oeuvre

Caviar with the traditional Garnishes

Crabmeat and Avocado Timbale with green Apple and roasted Sesame

Goat Cheese and Tomato Terrine, Pesto with Pine Nuts

Roulade of Quail on Spinach with marinated Swedes

Salad

Frisee, Rucola, Radicchio and Romain Lettuce with Carrots, Tomatoes and Bell Pepper
with your Choice of Wild Garlic of Orange and Mustard Dressing

Choice of Main Courses

Stiller's Sauerbraten, slow braised Beef Cheek, Cauliflower Puree and fried Bread Dumpling Slices

Grilled Scallops with Nutmeg and Vanilla Sauce, Suger Peas, Beans, Mushrooms and green Pea Mash

Vegetable Strudel with Asian Soy Jus, Baby Bok Choy and Shiitake Mushrooms

Fried Breat of Guinea Fowl with Toto Trilogy and Parisienne Potatoes

Selection of Cheese and Dessert

Bleu de Gex, Fougerus, Beaufort, Livarot and ashed Goat Cheese
garnished with Grapes and Pecan Nuts

White Coffee Mousse and Chocolate Sorbet with Red Wine and Espresso Sauce

Warm Banana Cake, Caramel Sauce and Macadamia Nut Ice-Cream

Specialty Dessert Wines

LH772 03/10-04/10

Vinothek
Champagne

2000 Champagne Laurent-Perrier Millesime, Frankreich
Wine lovers know that the champagne house Laurent-Perrier only produces a vintage champagne in outstanding years. By doing so, this champagne house, founded in 1812 and meanwhile one of the leading houses around the world, is continuing an old tradition: a respect for nature and for the wines, a passion for quality and strong and lasting relationships with people. On top of this comes energy, both that of Bernad de Nonancourt, the creator of the style and the wines of Laurent-Perrier, and of his daughters Alexandra and Stephaniew, who manage this independent house today and perpetuate these values. Consequently the winner of the champagne tasting is no surprise. This blend of chardonnay and pinot noir is most appealing with its freshness as well as its complex aromatics suggesting white peaches, dried apricots, fresh brioche and roasted almonds. This champagne is a real pleasure with its creamy character on the palate and long, persistent finish.

Aperitif

Campari
A red mild bitters-type cordial.

Sherry "La Guita"
A classic Sherry with fruity flavour and a taste of elegant saltiness, typical for Manzanilla Sherry.

Monthly Proposal

2006 Mendoza Malbec, Catena Alta, Argentinien
The snow-covered peaks of the Andes and the highest mountain in America, Aconcagua, at around 7000 metres, dominate the backdrop of the wine-producing region of Mendoza. The dry, markedly continental climate and optimum water supply thanks to the glacial rivers from the Andes, create conditions that are just about perfect for wine-growing. It is therefore not surprising that more than 70 percent of Argentina's wine production thrives on the largely sandy and clay-rich alluvial soils here. Nicolas Catena has certainly long been aware of the potential of such a landscape. In 1994, together with his team, he determined that the best vineyards for the grape varieties chardonnay, cabernet sauvignon and malbec. The innovation "Catena Alta" was born. The winemaker Jose Galante achieved considerable acclaim with the 1994 cabernet sauvignon and in 1996 the first limited production malbec was presented. The 2006 vintage was characterised by slightly higher than average temperatures and optimum water supply. As half the grapes in the vineyards were removed during the green harvest, the remaining grapes were able to ripen to perfection. It therefore comes as no surprise that Wine Spectator awarded a coveted 93 Points out of 100 for this top Argentine wine and it also gained top marks from our Lufthansa tasting panel. This is a powerful wine with intense aromas of berry fruits, fine toasty notes, elegant minerality and a touch of gentle spices. On the palate it is opulent with plenty of fruit and ripe tannins.

White Wine

2007 Schloss Vollrads Riesling Spatlese trocken, Gutsverwaltung Schloss Vollrads, Deutschland
Embedded between the wooded Taunus mountains and the mighty Rhine river, Schloss Vollrads' vineyards are to be found around the Herren von Greiffenclau manor house. This southerly site, protected from the mountain winds by woods and with the Rhine acting as a heat reservoir, allows the Riesling vines growing on the loess-loam and Taunus quartzite soils to achieve optimum ripeness. The roots burrow up to 20 metres down into the ground and take up many minerals. The resultant wines are like this Spatlese, which has a charming palate with an elegant minerality and ripe fruit flavours of passion fruit, apple and apricot.

2008 Pomino Bianco DOC "Benefizo", Marhesi de Frescobaldi, Italien
The scenery of the Tosco Emiliani hills in the Apennines is characterised by gentle vineyard slopes, thick pine forests and abundant olive groves. This is where "Benefizio" comes from. The Frescobaldi family brought various varieties such as Chardonnay and Pinot Blanc to Pomino in 1855. The particularity of the location and the long-standing cultivation of these varieties have contributed to the fact that wines produced here are allowed to use the protected region of origin designation DOC. This extraordinary wines comes from the top site Benefizio, which is only 9 ha in size. The wine has a delightful straw yellow colour and a charming bouquet with aromas of ripe yellow fruit intermingled with hazelnuts.

2008 Ihringer Winklerberg Weibburgunder Spatlese trocken, Winzergenossenschaft Ihringen, Deutschland
Ihringen is proud to promote itself as the "warmest place in Germany", and indeed, the sun burns here with sub-tropical intensity onto the exposed steep slopes of the Winklerberg with its weathered basalt bedrock soils and numerous low vineyard walls which store the warmth of the sun during the day and give it back to the vines at night. This helps to ripen the grapes to the optimum. This barrique-matured Pinot Blanc is a typical example of the excellent quality from this top vineyard site. On the nose it has subtle aromas of vanilla, pear and citrus fruit and the palate is most attractive with its smooth texture, fine acidity and pleasing concentration.

Red Wine

2006 Dao Reserva, Casa de Santar, Portugal
Casa de Santar is the largest private wine estate in the Dao region and has been producing fine wine since 1616. The estate relies on a treasure trove of indigenous grape varieties such as touriga nacional, the main variety in Dao, as well as alfrocheiro and tinta roriz. The talented winemaker, who vinifies a stunning red wine from these grapes, maturing it for several months in French oak barriques, is called Pedro de Vasconcellos e Souza. The result is a powerful, purple-coloured red wine with delightful aromas, ripe berry fruit and gentle spicy notes in the background. The palate is most pleasing with its fine-grained tannins and opulent character.

2002 Chateau Belgrave, Cru Classe, Haut-Medoc, Frankreich
This renowned Chateau, situated in Saint Laurent, is one of the oldest wine estates in the region. Its name points to the quality of the soil, as the translation of "Belgrave" means "beautiful pebbles". The famous oenologist Michel Rolland is the consultant here and the wine style combines both classic and modern elements, as can be noted particularly in the bouquet with its ripe fruit aromas and discrete toastiness, as well as the silky tannins and excellent length on the palate.

Dessert Wine

Keidrich Grafenberg Riesling Auslese, Weingut Robert Weil, Deutschland
The Grafenberg is one of the top vineyard sites in the Rheingau and has been classified as an "Erste Lage". With gradients of up to 50 percent in this south-west facing site, the vines receive the full force of the sun and thereby benefit from ideal growing conditions. The combination of vineyard site with phyllite and loess-loam soils guarantees a long ripening period for the grapes. The Grafenberg Auslese shows opulent fruit of ripe peaches and mango with elegant citrus notes, as well as having restrained sweetness and oustanding length on the palate.

Monthly Proposal

Vielle Pomme Royale - Alter Apfel, Etter, Schweiz
The Etter family's story is typical of many farming families in central Switzerland. From the 13th century onwards, the family farmed the land on their mountain farm ("Berglihof"). It was usual to distill one's own kirsch as it was a household remedy "healing everything from cuts and bruises to emotional upsets". The Etters have turned this skill into a fine art. As long ago as 1840 the farmer Johann Baptist Etter had made a name for himself as an excellent "Chriesibrenner", as someone who distills kirsch is known in Swiss German. It was Johann Baptist's son Paul who made the art of distilling the main family occupation, and to this day, Etter continues as an independent family company, run by Hans Etter in the fourth generation wih great passion. Hans Etters' considerable experience with fine spirits leads him, time and time again, to create new trhings. One of his creations is this eleant and unusual specialty, Vielle Pomme Royale, the base of which is the heat distillate of the best, hand-picked Gravenstein apples. There are stiull a few farmers who supply unsprayed Gravenstein apples to the distillery. These small, flavoursome apples are gently mashed, carefully fermented and subsequently distilled with great skill. This expressive spirit is matured for three years, thereby allowing it time to develop its distinctive, delicate and fruity taste. And with only 30% abv, this delightful apple speciality is not too strong.

Spirits

Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey Old No 7
Amber colored Whiskey with distinctive caramel, vanilla and almond notes and a touch of fruity impressions.

Johnnie Walker Blue Label
Superior brand with an intense, opulent aroma and the typical peaty character.

Bushmills Malt 10 Years Old
This is a whiskey with soft notes of vanilla, a fine malty character and restrained honeyed sweetness.

Smirnoff Red Vodka
Triple-distilled and filtered ten times for exceptional smoothness and purity.

Bombay Sapphire Distilled London Dry Gin
Predominant juniper notes, balanced with impression of lemon peel and coriander.

Cognac Lhéraud Cuvée 30
A fine and mature cognac from an exceptional distiller.

Calvados Pays d’Auge AC, Daron
The long maturation process in oak barrels brings out crisp and sweet aromas of apple, pear and vanilla.

Fernet Branca
An aromatic blend of about 40 herbs and spices.

Tequila
Exclusively on flights to and from Mexico.

Walcher Williams Exclusiv
A juicy and very fruity Poire Williams with long-lasting flavor and a very typical finish.

Etter Zuger Kirsch, 42 Vol %, Jahrgang 2005
Made from the Swiss “Lauerz” cherries, full-bodied, aromatic and refined.

Liqueur and Port

Baileys Irish Cream
A delicious cream liqueur made entirely in Ireland from a combination of dairy cream, Irish Whiskey and the smooth flavour of chocolate and vanilla.

Niepoort Portwein LBV 2000
An intensive, young and powerful port with a light fruit flavour.
Mineral Water

Apollinaris, sparkling natural minera water
Vio, natural mineral water

Fruit juices

Apple Juice
Tomato Juice
Orange Juice

Soft Drinks

Coca-Cola, Coca-Cola Zero, Sprite
Kinley Tonic Water, Kinley Bitter Lemon, Kinley Ginger Ale

German Beers

Warsteiner Premium Verum
Germaqn premium lager

Warsteiner Premium alkoholfrei
with genuine 0.0% alc. vol

Hot Beverages

Jacobs Kaffee
Royal Diplomat 100% Arabica Coffee from the Highlands

Nespresso Espresso und Cappuccino, 3 Grands Crus des Kaffees
Ristretto: A short, full-bodied and intense Espresso with a pleasantly lingering taste.
Volluto: A lightly roasted blend with a subtle, yet present body and hints of biscuit, redolent of cereal, enhanced by a touch of acidity and a fresh and light fruitiness.
Decaffeinato: This is a light and delicate decaffeinate variety which strikes a good balance beteen mildness and acidity.

Masala Tee
Exclusively on flights to and from India

Eilles Teespezialitäten

Darjeeling Royal First Flush Blatt
Harvested in springtime in the best tea gardens of the Himilayan foothills, this superior quality shows a lot of white leaf toips after the winter’s rest in Northern India. Its aroma is crisp and fresh, reminiscent of lilies of the valley, its color pale orange.

Earl Grey Premium Blatt
A blend of Darjeeling, Ceylon and Chinese teas enhanced by aromatic oil from the finest bergamot fruit. A classic, copper-red in the cup, especially enjoyable with pastries and cake.

Grüntee Asia Superior Blatt
Grown in fertile Central Asia, this unfermented tea is bright yellow in color with a pleasant, gentle aroma and sweet yet tart notes. Traditionally enjoyed plain.

Pfefferminz Tee
Select, finely-cut peppermint leaves to renew and refresh the entire body. Enjoyment for mind, body, and soul.

Rooibos Vanille
South African rooibos blended with vanilla and vanilla aroma for subtle sweetness and copper infusion. Low tannin content and caffeine-free.

Yogi Tee Himmlischer Gluckstee Bio
An ayurvedic blend opf spices and herbs based on the ancient Indan wisdom of life. It has a pleasant taste and is a benefit for your body, mind and soul. A composition containing cinnamon, ginger, hops, lavender, aniseed, basil, pepper and cardamom. All ingredients are organic. Cheerful placidity is the most beautiful spiritual condition.

03/04-2010

Breakfast

If you prefer more time to rest, we will serve the breakfast variety of your choice until we begin our descent from travelling altitude and approach landing.

Entrees

Freshly squeezed Orange Juice

Fresh Fruit

Yogurt, Curd Cream with fresh Fruit and Almonds, Smacks (sic) and Milk

Emmental, Camembert, Rahmbergh Cheese

Parma Ham, smoked Turkey Breast, Tyrolean Bacon

Smoked Atlantic Salmon, Filet of Trout

Scrambled Egg freshly prepared upon you Request
with your Choice of Bacon or Chives

Coffee and Tea

Coffee from the Highlands

Espresso

Cappuccino

Darjeeling

Earl Grey

Yogi Tea

Asia Green Tea

Rooibos Vanilla

Herbal Infusion

LH 772 03/10-04/10
Old Apr 11, 2010, 6:04 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by anat0l
Well I'll be. That's new to me.

Fancy that the Trans-Tasman neighbours be requiring explicit visas to enter each others countries.
Has been the case for quite a few years. In reality, this is more a technicality. The stamp a NZ passport holder gets into the passport is called a Special Category Visa while for other foreigners it is just the arrival stamp.
NZ is moving to the same policy soon and actually refer to the Australian Universal Visa system.

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
FRANKFURT to BANGKOK (FRA-BKK) on Lufthansa 747-400 in first class

The Lufthansa first class meal service is always long and slow. I considered taking the express meal option but, since I'm travelling for another couple of days figured I could catch up the sleep later and chose the full meal service. Despite the light load, tonight was no exception to the languid pace. While I rather like eating slowly I do think they overdo it a bit on overnight flights as most passengers would not want dinner/supper to take over 2 hours and only finish more than 3 hours into the flight. Fine for a daytime flight, a bit long for overnight, I reckon

Breakfast started 2 hours before arrival, so that makes over 40% of the flight time taken up with meal services!
Indeed one of the biggest I have with LH on many flights. And the problem is similar in C where meal service often start two hours a takeoff. And IFE is only switch on 1+ hours into the flight.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 6:24 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Has been the case for quite a few years. In reality, this is more a technicality. The stamp a NZ passport holder gets into the passport is called a Special Category Visa while for other foreigners it is just the arrival stamp.
NZ is moving to the same policy soon and actually refer to the Australian Universal Visa system.
No arrival stamp for me, since Australia was not my destination.

Indeed one of the biggest I have with LH on many flights. And the problem is similar in C where meal service often start two hours a takeoff. And IFE is only switch on 1+ hours into the flight.
I'm not sure when IFE came on, it was up when I awoke from the take-off nap.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 7:50 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I had delibratley delayed reading this report as I like to have you finish them before I get carried off in the air with you.
Oh well all I can say at the moment is "A little rippa' of a trip report Kiwi Flyer"
Old Apr 11, 2010, 8:01 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Apologies. For various reasons I haven't finished this report as quickly as I'd like. Still, the rest won't take too long to come.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:53 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Transit in Bangkok

I was met at the exit from the gate by a TG staff who asked if I wanted to be escorted to immigration or to the transfer desk or to the lounge. No buggy, which surprised me. The gate wasn't the most distant one from the lounge or transfer desk but also not that close. Perhaps they had assumed I would want to go to immigration (which was closer)?

I had some work to do and people to meet, and I already had the boarding pass for the onward flight, so I made my way to the lounge for this long transit. Along the way 2 of the 4 moving walkways were broken. At security the WTMD was set with high sensitivity, triggering for me when I normally don't. That it happened while I was being escorted was embarrassing, as if I didn't know better Oh well, I play the odds on what to remove and the very rare times it doesn't work are more than offset by the many more times that it does work.

Once in the lounge I was going to get the grand tour when I politely interrupted - I've been here often enough that unless there is something new I can make my own way around. At this time I was the only passenger in the lounge. First up a shower to freshen up. Then some work and a few glasses of bubbles while I waited for my first guest. I was absorbed in what I was doing and got startled when he arrived - lounge reception had admitted him on his word without me having pre-organised it. ^ (Strictly the Star Alliance rules require guests to enter at the same time as the F passenger.) The lounge being completely devoid of passengers (other than me) may have had something to do with it.

I had a bite to eat and then guest #1 left. I went back to work, and some more drinks, while waiting for the second meeting. This time she was flying in first and so no need to enter as my guest. We caught up for a while, over some more drinks, before I suddenly realised the time. Only 15 minutes until departure!

With no monitors in the lounge and my early arrival before gates were assigned I had no idea if my flight was using a close gate or a far one. I was somewhat sure I hadn't missed one of the lounge staff calling for me to go - surely they would have interrupted us if I was really late?
Old Apr 12, 2010, 6:27 pm

Suspence again. When will I ever learn not to read your stories before they are complete? :-)

Last edited by abeyro; Apr 13, 2010 at 5:52 am
Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:07 pm

The Lufthansa first class meal service is always long and slow. I considered taking the express meal option but, since I'm travelling for another couple of days figured I could catch up the sleep later and chose the full meal service. Despite the light load, tonight was no exception to the languid pace. While I rather like eating slowly I do think they overdo it a bit on overnight flights as most passengers would not want dinner/supper to take over 2 hours and only finish more than 3 hours into the flight. Fine for a daytime flight, a bit long for overnight, I reckon.
Absolutely agree. Dinner takes way too long. And when I am hungry (I usually am by the time I get on a plane; if I'm not, the menu usually gets my hunger up), I end up gorging on the bread because the main course just takes way too long to arrive. And then by the time I finish the dessert, I've overeaten. Oh, the travails of traveling in F.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:04 am
Kyo

Programs: Ex-BD55 + KF*G + BA Gold + IC RA(?) + OZ*G + SPG*P
Transit in Bangkok
First up a shower to freshen up. Then some work and a few glasses of bubbles while I waited for my first guest. I was absorbed in what I was doing and got startled when he arrived - lounge reception had admitted him on his word without me having pre-organised it. ^ (Strictly the Star Alliance rules require guests to enter at the same time as the F passenger.) The lounge being completely devoid of passengers (other than me) may have had something to do with it.

I had a bite to eat and then guest #1 left.
Could it be because this guest of yours is an ultra-frequent lounge visitor in BKK?

(and they also had the right 'passphrase'?)

It was a pleasure meeting you in BKK, sir, and I do wish it were under more pleasant circumstances!
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:23 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Thai Airways
First Class menu
Bangkok First Class Lounge
April 2010

Menu of the Month

Pork Chop with Gravy Sauce

Sticky Rice or Jasmine Rice

&

Grilled Pork Chop - Thai style

A la Carte Menu

Breakfast (B)

B1 Pork Congee

B2 Chinese Doughnut

B3 Boiled Rice with Fish

B4 Selection of Breads

B5 Assorted Pies, Assorted Cakes

B6 Omelet, Scramble Eggs, Fried Egg with Ham and Bacon

B7 Yogurt

B8 Cereals, Cornflakes

B9 Seasonal Fresh Fruits

B10 Fruit Juice

Snacks (S)

S1 Cashew Nut

S2 Chicken Ball

S3 Herbal Peanut

S4 Spring Rolls

S5 Shrimp Siew Mai

Sandwiches (W)

W1 Traditional Sandwich (Cheese, Ham or Tuna)

W2 Toasted Ham and Cheese Sandwich

W3 Club Sandwich (Chicken, Egg, Crispy Bacon)

Soup of the day

Clear Soup
Soup
Corn Cream Soup
Mushroom Cream Soup
Seaweed Soup

Soup (U)

U1 Tom Yum Goong
Spicy and Sour Shrimp Soup with Lemon Grass

U2 Giew Nam Goong
Shrimp Wonton Soup

Salads (L)

TG Garden Salad
Assorted Garden Salad with Choice of Ham, Shrimp, Chicken

Choice of Dressin (D)

D1 Thousand Island Dressing
D2 Balsamic Dressing
D3 French Dressing
D4 Ratanakosin Dressing
D5 Japanese Dressing

Main Course (M)

M1 Phad Thai Goong
Stir-Fried Rice Noodles with Shrimp in Tamarind Sauce

M2 Khoa-Phad
Fried Rice with Shrimp, Chicken of Ham

M3 Grilled Duck with Egg Noodles

M4 Phad See-iw
Stir-Fried Rice Noodles in Soy Sauce with Chicken or Shrimp

M5 Khang Keiw Wan
Chicken or Shrimp with Green Curry in Coconut Milk

M6 Kai Phad Med Ma-muang Himmapan
Stir Fried Chicken with Cashew Nut, Goat pepper and Onions

Continental (C)

C1 Fish and Chips with Tartar Sauce

C2 Vienna Sausages with Gravy Sauce

C3 Spaghetti with Chicken Sauce, Spaghetti with Carbonara Sauce

Buffet Corner / Desserts Menu

TG Bakery
Open Sandwiches
Selection of Breads
Assorted Pies
Assorted Cakes
Assorted Cookies

Selection of Cheese
Cheddar
Brie
Camembert

Haagen-Dazs Ice Cream
Vanilla
Chocolate

Coffee

Regular Coffee
Cappuccino
Latte
Espresso
Decaffeinated Coffee

Tea

English Breakfast
Earl Gray
Black Tea
Green Tea
Jasmine
Oo-Long
Peppermint
Camomile
Selection of Fruit Tea

Hot Cocoa

Hot Chocolate, Chocolate Malt

Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:25 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kyo
Could it be because this guest of yours is an ultra-frequent lounge visitor in BKK?
Could be
Old Apr 14, 2010, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by abeyro
Suspence again. When will I ever learn not to read your stories before they are complete? :-)
One needs to appreciate the fact that you are able to read the amazing trip report even if it's 1/2 complete. It's easy to judge however one should try writing a 5 pg TR along with the detailed menus. I can assure you there are only a handful of folks that provide this level of detail - take it for what it's worth. Enjoy the TR and let's at least acknowledge the work and time he has put into preparing this in great detail.

cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.