Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Std vs Saver FF differences

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2003, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Std vs Saver FF differences

I'm trying to fly from either SFO or SJC to TLS (Toulouse, France) on July 17th, and return on July 28th from CDG. Trouble is, for some reason they don't allow you to use a "standard" FF award to fly on a non-United carrier (or so they told me on the phone today), and it's way too late to use a "saver" fare.

Is this really true? I have 140,000 miles available to me, and it appears the best I can do is a round trip SFO-CDG (Flights 960 & 961) in coach. I'd really like the first leg to end in Toulouse, not CDG.

Or should I just snag the SFO-CDG availability while I still can and be thankful even that's available?

Thanks-

------------------
--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Old May 28, 2003, 12:55 am

Yes, the Star Alliance awards are all saver awards. (it's right there in the terms and conditions if you download the *A award chart in the mileage plus section of united.com)

Also, the *A awards are more restrictive than the UA awards with respect to changes. If I'm remembering what others have posted, I don't think you are allowed to make any changes once you start travel on the *A award ticket.

You need a UA award if you want a standard award. There was nothing available in C or F? Also, do you have any "status" with UA? The only reason I ask, is that if you have 1K status, I think there's a separate award pool of coach awards for 1K members.

-David

PS: Welcome to Flyertalk, Mike!

[This message has been edited by LIH Prem (edited 05-28-2003).]
Old May 28, 2003, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LIH Prem:
[B]You need a UA award if you want a standard award. There was nothing available in C or F? Also, do you have any "status" with UA? The only reason I ask, is that if you have 1K status, I think there's a separate award pool of coach awards for 1K members.
[B]</font>
David: Thanks for the explanation- it all sorta makes sense (although it does seem a bit strange that a more "expensive" FF option is more restrictive in terms of carriers!).

When you ask if anything was available in "C" or "F", not sure what I should be looking for. I did try just about every conceivable combination (I think!).

Also, if it makes a differences, the customer service person was able to book a "saver" ticket (biz class) from SFO to Toulouse, via Lufthansa. However, there was no option for getting back, either that day or any other close to it.

As for "status" sorry, missed 1K last year by 500 miles I think. Didn't realize it might become important. Doh! So I doubt that I have any real pull with them.

Ohmygosh this is embarassing! Today, 9/28/07, I'm re-reading this post for the first time in many years, and what was I thinking someone meant "1K" was??? And apparently I was even confused about "C" & "F" too. Wonder what my first post as "lowly 2P" was?

------------------
--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Sep 28, 2007 at 7:23 pm Reason: Rediscovered post after several years
Old May 28, 2003, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LIH Prem:

Also, the *A awards are more restrictive than the UA awards with respect to changes. If I'm remembering what others have posted, I don't think you are allowed to make any changes once you start travel on the *A award ticket.

</font>
Yes this is correct. You cannot TOUCH a Star award once travel begins, even for a fee. On any kind of UA award you may change dates at no penalty if seats are available. And often minor routing changes are OK at no fee if you have status - and the agent is in a good mood.

Old May 28, 2003, 2:55 am

Mike,

C is business class on UA and F is First class on UA. Both are available in standard and saver awards.

When you say you tried every combination, did you try with an agent, or did you try online? Often when online says no availabilty, there might be availability anyway .. you have to try calling.

If you were 500 miles short of 1K, you should be a Premier Exec like me. Not as good as a 1K, but still pretty good. Alas, no special coach award inventory for us lowly Premier Execs.

This year if you get that close, I trust you will find some short flight to do before year end to make it all the way to 1K, right?

Living near SFO, a short flight to SoCal would count since the minimum is still 500 miles.

-David

[This message has been edited by LIH Prem (edited 05-28-2003).]
Old May 28, 2003, 7:57 am

Programs: UA MM1K,AA EXP
Did you talk to anyone about the weird plane/TGV tickets that United issues to get people from cities other than Paris to the provinces? The train ticket is free,carries a UA code, and earns miles. It's a bit longer than by plane, but it is UAL.
Old May 28, 2003, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please tell me you're not going to visit the Airbus factory??

Have you considered flying via FRA or MUC on LH? Or LHR on BD?

You'll probably need to book a SFO-CDG instead of SFO-TLS and CDG-SFO itinerary, and then maybe just purchase the CDG-TLS separately? I just looked...on AF, it's $100 r/t vs $330 o/w.

Old May 28, 2003, 8:49 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by willie--wonka:
Did you talk to anyone about the weird plane/TGV tickets that United issues to get people from cities other than Paris to the provinces? The train ticket is free,carries a UA code, and earns miles. It's a bit longer than by plane, but it is UAL.</font>
I'd love to do the plane/train thing! Won't work though, since I'm bringing my bike with me, and 90% of the TGVs don't allow bikes. However, I should point out that the agent I spoke with on the phone spent at least 20 minutes trying to figure out creative routing (that would work under the normal "saver" fare) but couldn't. I would think he would have brought up the plane/train option if there...

------------------
--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Old May 28, 2003, 9:10 am

Mike:

I noticed from your signature line that you appear to be affiliated with Chain Reaction bike shops.

I just bought my wife a bike on ebay that still has the Chain Reaction sticker on it.

So I guess we've recycled!

Old May 28, 2003, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold, peon everywhere else
Mike,
Wow -- good to see you here! (I've seen you often on ba.bicycles and even bought a bike from y'all a few years back...)

Anyway, last year I needed to do the same thing (travel SFO-&gt;TLS in June/July for a bike trip) and wound up splitting the ticket; I booked a roundtrip (on Delta, actually) SFO-CDG, and a second cheap CDG-&gt;TLS roundtrip on Air France, which wound up being something like $100. The only issue there is if a delay makes you miss your flight; since they're on separate tickets, that could be tough. I wound up booking a really long layover and then leaving the airport and taking the train into Paris for a couple of hours (really easy to do). On the way home, I overnighted in Paris because of the timing of the connections. It all worked like a charm (even got to watch the Tour prologue on French TV while I was in Paris). If you overnight in Paris, you can also look at flying back into Orly, which (at the time) was cheaper than flying into CDG.

If you do this, ask the agent when you're checking in if they can check your stuff through to TLS. Many times they can if you can give them the flight details. (since my SFO-&gt;CDG was on an Air France codeshare, and my CDG-&gt;TLS flight was also an Air France flight, it was even easier)

I was somewhat better off than you in this case, since I was bringing my bike Friday instead of a full-sized bike, so dealing with luggage was less of a problem.

Dan

(edited for minor clarity issues)

[This message has been edited by danM (edited 05-28-2003).]
Old May 28, 2003, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by danM:
Mike,
Wow -- good to see you here! (I've seen you often on ba.bicycles and even bought a bike from y'all a few years back...)

Anyway, last year I needed to do the same thing (travel SFO-&gt;TLS in June/July for a bike trip) and wound up splitting the ticket; I booked a roundtrip (on Delta, actually) SFO-CDG, and a second cheap CDG-&gt;TLS roundtrip on Air France, which wound up being something like $100. The only issue there is if a delay makes you miss your flight; since they're on separate tickets, that could be tough. I wound up booking a really long layover and then leaving the airport and taking the train into Paris for a couple of hours (really easy to do). On the way home, I overnighted in Paris because of the timing of the connections. It all worked like a charm (even got to watch the Tour prologue on French TV while I was in Paris). If you overnight in Paris, you can also look at flying back into Orly, which (at the time) was cheaper than flying into CDG.

If you do this, ask the agent when you're checking in if they can check your stuff through to TLS. Many times they can if you can give them the flight details. (since my SFO-&gt;CDG was on an Air France codeshare, and my CDG-&gt;TLS flight was also an Air France flight, it was even easier)

I was somewhat better off than you in this case, since I was bringing my bike Friday instead of a full-sized bike, so dealing with luggage was less of a problem.

Dan

(edited for minor clarity issues)

[This message has been edited by danM (edited 05-28-2003).]
</font>
Sure is hard for me to be anonymous these days! Of course, doesn't help that I list my name & business... :cool

The problem for me was that I'd need to book only a one-way to TLS, since I'd be coming back via CDG, and one-way fares are *expensive!* Even the round trips aren't cheap to TLS (no RyanAir, sigh).

So I've booked the old reliable... UA 960 on the way out, UA 961 back. Seats 17B & 17C, which appear (from SeatGuru.com) to be pretty decent. Sure would have been nice to travel biz class instead, but not enough lead time to get one of the very few biz class seats. Maybe next year...

In the meantime, I've got a date with a bus full of drunk Britts from Paris to Toulouse!

------------------
--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

[This message has been edited by Mike Jacoubowsky (edited 05-28-2003).]
Old May 28, 2003, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UNITED959:
Please tell me you're not going to visit the Airbus factory??

Have you considered flying via FRA or MUC on LH? Or LHR on BD?

You'll probably need to book a SFO-CDG instead of SFO-TLS and CDG-SFO itinerary, and then maybe just purchase the CDG-TLS separately? I just looked...on AF, it's $100 r/t vs $330 o/w.

</font>
Not to worry, I'm heading to the South of France to catch up with the Tour de France bike race, and do some cycling myself! No airbus factory visit.

Thanks for looking into the airfares... same thing I saw. I briefly thought about purchasing a round trip from CDG to TLS and only using half of it, but that's really not my style (I generally play by the rules).

So it's UA 960 & 961 )(SFO to CDG & back) and a long bus ride from Paris to Toulouse with a bunch of rowdy drunk Britts! Actually, I doubt it will be all that bad; could even be fun. Sure would rather take a train though.

------------------
--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.