FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I'm A Nut - LCY-ZRH-HKG-BKK-HKG-ZRH-LCY in J for a weekend
Old May 16, 2007, 12:24 pm
Moomba

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
A leisurely start to the day with some breakfast in the lounge at the Conrad.

I then packed my things and checked out of the hotel. I negotiated the MRT subway system to my next port of call at the Sheraton in TST.

After leaving my bag with the concierge I retraced my steps to the MRT station and back to Honk Kong Central. Here I once again boarded the Airport Express train to HKG.

I arrived at HKG at around 10am and headed for the Thai check in desks. I walked straight up to a free Business class agent. All was going smoothly until she asked me for the credit card I used to make the booking. I had since changed my card and no longer carried this particular one. I explained I didn’t have it and she got all serious looking. She went off to speak to ticketing for a while. The two of them came back and I said the last four digits are xxxx if that helps. The explained that I should carry the card with me but they would let me go for now. I don’t know what one is supposed to do if you book way in advance and your card expires in the meantime or decide, as I did, that you want to change cards.

Finally I got my BP and invite to the TG lounge and headed for emigrations and security. There was a 2 minute queue at emigrations and I walked straight up to an x-ray machine at security.

I decided to walk the long stretch down to Gate 40 where the TG lounge is located. On the way I realised I should have asked for a BP for the return journey at check in, but with all the confusion at check in I forgot to ask.
When I got to the lounge, which is upstairs from the main concourse, I asked if they could print my return BP but they said they had no facility to print BPs.

I spent the next two hours or so in the lounge. Whilst inside I heard boarding calls for TG flight to HKT, an AC flight to YVR and a UA flight to LAX (might have been SFO).

The lounge is on an open roofed section above the main concourse. There was a small section with food and alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks available. The food available when I arrived was still the breakfast offerings which included: cereal, dim sum, noodles, pork buns, beans and eggs.
Whilst I was there the lunch food appeared also which included a soup, salads, breaded fish, broccoli and Korean noodles.

I watched my bird taxi in past the gates outside the lounge and park itself at Gate 42.

At around 12:10 I headed down to the gate where boarding commenced at 12:20. As per usual at HKG there were two lines one for Y and one for Biz, First and elites. I did note with interest (that only an FTer could have) that the gate agents were dressed in a mixture of Cathay Pacific and China Airlines uniforms.
Boarding was efficient and quick and I was on board and directed to my seat in no time.

Flight TG601 HKG – BKK Seat 12A
Departure time: 12:45
Aircraft: A340-600

I specifically chose this flight as it was the A340-600 which has the new TG J class seating.
Once on board hot towels were handed out, champagne and OJ was offered and the menus and headsets were handed out.
Before taking off an FA came around to ask for my lunch order.

LUNCH

First Course

Roast Duck Breast, Green Soba Noodles Salad

Main Course

Seafood Curry “Chu-chee”, Steamed Thai Hom Mali Rice, Salted Egg
Or
Pork Fillet with Prune with Brandy Cream Sauce, Potatoes, Zucchini, Baby Corn

Assorted Breads, Crackers, Butter, Cheese and Fresh Fruits

Dessert

Pear Almond Tart
Tea, Coffee, Espresso, Cappuccino

There was no wine list included.

There seemed to be some delays with boarding but we finally taxied out to the runway and took off at 13:14. We flew out over Hong Kong and although very hazy, I got some great views of the skyscrapers down below.

I fired up the AVOD IFE system and had a play for a while. To my great joy of joys, finally a system that allows you to view the flight map whilst listening to your favourite music. Most of the AVOD systems I have used either stop the music or only allow the looped radio stations to be heard when looking at the flight map. Bit thumbs up to TG for this little gem. Funny how the smallest of things can make such a big impression.

It seems that TG is not the strongest on security issues on board. The guy next to me was playing his PS2 all through taxi and take-off and again on landing. Also the child in the row in front (bulkhead) had his IFE screen out the whole flight from taxi to taxi.

Lunch was served after the belts sign was switched off. There were plenty of offers of refills on the wine and extra rolls were passed around. Each course came out separately. I had the seafood curry which was very nice with just the right amount of spice.

After lunch hot towels were handed out again. I continued to peer out my window and listen to music on the IFE until it was time to land.

On landing at 14:35 I disembarked quickly and negotiated my way to the transfers desks, which seemed a mile away.

There was no one manning the Biz and First desks and I asked someone if there was supposed to be someone there. She had a chat to an agent at the Y desks that called me over and gave me my BP for the return trip to HKG. She was a little bemused by my routing this day. She asked me if I knew where the lounges were and I replied in the negative. She directed me upstairs and sent me on my way.

I walked into the lounge complex which was just near the transfers desks at terminal D. I asked if there was another lounge closer to my gate which was in E.

She suggested I go through the security point just outside and walk down to E terminal where another TG lounge was located.

I then walked another mile to get to the E gates lounge. Inside it was quite small and crowded and had some snacks and top shelf liquor, coffee, tea, non alcoholic drinks etc.

Soon enough it was time to head to the gate which was E1A which was right outside the lounge. I couldn’t see an aircraft there so asked the agent on the way out if 1A meant a bus and she confirmed my suspicion.

I made my way down to the gate and waited for quite a while before they eventually started boarding the bus. Once on board we drove back down the entire length of the airport and past the plane I had gotten off to get to our aircraft.

Flight TG606 BKK – HKG Seat 14A
Departure time: 16:00
Aircraft: B777-200

On board I was disappointed to find that it was the old style J seating. The seat maps up to when I left the UK showed the newer 777 aircraft with 2-2-2seating. Oh well it was still a comfortable seat and I did get to check out the new seat on the outbound flight.

The same procedure was played out pre take off but this time it was cold towels and not hot ones.

DINNER

First Course

Marinated Salmon Sze-chuan Style, Green Asparagus

Main Course

Fried Chicken in Coconut Cream (Dried Tom Khar Kai)
Steamed Thai Hom Mali Rice, Salted Egg
Or
Beef Brisket Stewed in Red Wine Sauce
Tossed Linguini Noodles, Stir-fried Mixed Vegetables
Or
Pan-fried Tab Tim Fish with Chinese Hot Sauce
Oriental Fried Rice, Kailan, Carrot
Or
Stir-fried Pork with Thai Herbs
Steamed Thai Hom Mali Rice, Kailan, Carrot

Assorted Breads, Crackers, Butter, Cheese and Fresh Fruits

Dessert

Coconut Ice Cream, Mango Puree

Tea, Coffee, Espresso, Cappuccino

Each course was again delivered separately and there were plenty of drinks refills. I went with the Pork stir-fry which was again quite a nice meal.

I spent my time playing with the IFE again and staring out the window. The woman next to me seemed to be addicted to SIM city and couldn’t manage to turn it off even to eat!

The time flew by (ha ha very funny) and we were soon landing at HKG. I didn’t make a note of the time.

Immigration was a lot quicker than the afternoon before and I was soon on my way into HKG and the Sheraton hotel for my final night in Hong Kong.

I must say that flying in Europe or the US on a two hour flight would have produced nothing like the level or service or quality of food offerings I had just enjoyed on these two flights. It was an absolute pleasure flying on TG and apart for the mile long walk at BKK, both HKG and BKK were a joy to use. Oh how I did not look forward to coming back to the UK and queues and failing infrastructure.

I am of the opinion that at some point the UK will just grind to a halt as everything finally claggs it. People will be left wandering aimlessly around wondering why nothing works anymore. The first part of the city that will reach this state is of course Heathrow Airport.

Pictures of HKG-BKK-HKG