FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any Lounge Opinions or Recommendations for OnePass'ers/PC Members/ST Elite+ in HKG?
Old May 1, 2007, 11:08 pm
dme

Programs: CO Plat, NWPlat, Marriott Gold, IC Ambassador, Starwood Gold, Delta peon, various other
More specifics on the DragonAir and AF lounges

DragonAir Lounge

The Dragonair lounge is adequate- nothing to write home about. It is located over/near the gate 16 area. If you are flying CO to GUM you will be departing from gate 20. The lounge is in the opposite direction but not very far- probably a 4-5 minute walk. The lounge is large but as mentioned, directly overlooks the gate 16 area. The "walls" of the lounge are glad partition so there is not much privacy and it does not have the secluded area lounge feel that some lounges have.

The refreshments area had hot food area with three selections: fried rice w/ beef, chicken consumme, and a third choice that I do not recall. Also available were small finger sandwiches ( looked like ham or something similar), apples, peanuts, rolls with butter and a selection of soft drinks and alcohol.

As I mentioned the lounge was large and it was not busy at that time so there were no seating issues. Seating was typical lounge style soft airchairs and coffee table/chair configuration. There the standard offering on newspapers: Asian language papers, USA today and the WSJ.

There are 4 available computers with internet access and computer desk/ stations in the back of the lounge. I did not see showers.

Air France Lounge

Bored with the Dragon air lounge and with plenty of time on my hands( and remembering J. Edward's question) I decided to see if I could get into the Air France lounge. The AirFrance Lounge is near gate 60. Remember if you are flying to GUM you will be departing from gate 20. They are not close. DO NOT visit the Air France lounge if you are short on time!

If you follow the airport signs to gate 60, the direct you to a shuttle train. You can get there by using the moving walkways and walking there. I recommend this.

Upon arrival at the Air France lounge and inquired if Skyteam elite partners were able to use the lounge. Check in clerk seemed a little confused, especially since, while CO's name and logo are on the placard outside the lounge, they are not listed on the sign that states which airlines may use the lounge that is displayed inside the lounge. She asked me for a BP and a program card. She checked her computer, told me she had to take down some info from the card and I was in!

For starters, the AF lounge is about 1/3 the size of the DragonAir lounge. This does not detract from its appeal. The lounge is set up in a square donut type of shape. This lounge is above a gate as well, but has more of a feel of privacy than the DragonAir lounge. There are cubbyholes for luggage and jackets in a foyer type area as you walk in. There are desk stations ( maybe about 6), a few small group table seatings and lounge type arm chairs around the room's perimeter. There are three slick looking mac computer terminals. There are two shower rooms with Guerlain toiletries. There were lots of French people.

More than the standard selection of reading materials. International newspapers, French newspapers, international and French magazines.

There was an excellent selection of hors d'oeuvres. That day's selections: beef & onion pie; penne pasta w/ tuna and tomato; prawn and mozzarella pie; egg fried rice, pork with snow vegetables There were also canapes: herb poached salmon, rye roll with beef; cottage cheese and walnut.
There were also crudites, w/ salsa and guacamole for dipping ; olives, a bread selection with a selection of about 2 soft and three hard cheeses.
Dessert was cherry clafoutis cake w. vanilla sauce or haagen daaz ice cream.
Apple and oranges were also available. There was also a selection of alcohol: gin, vodka, whiskey and other stuff, champagne, red and white wine and heineken on tap.

I do not think that the shuttle is available to go back to the lower numbered gates. I think you have to walk. This is not a bad thing as the moving walk ways make it a breeze. I would allow at least 10-15 minutes to walk back. I did not have time to check out the Korean Air lounge.

Thanks to J. Edwards to posing the original question as otherwise I would not have bothered to check out this lounge. As it was I thoroughly enjoyed myself.