FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Your personal food rules.....
View Single Post
Old Jul 14, 2006, 8:09 am
JHattery

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
It appears many of us should seriously consider counselling for OCD....

Mine are relatively simple - a boon given my travels to the nether regions of the globe. I read many of the postings here and wondered how some of you could survive trips overseas.

1. I will not eat durian. I have tried it several times. I don't care that I've not tried it prepared "this way." I don't like it and don't have to eat it.
2. I will not eat "sea cucumber." I have tried it several times. I don't care that I've not tried it prepared "this way." I don't like it and don't have to eat it.
3. I will not eat "stinky tofu." I have tried it several times. I don't like it and don't have to eat it. Tofu prepared any other way I've tried is fine.
4. By the time it is served to me at the table, it must be dead. We can select it while it is still alive, and it does not necessarily have to be cooked, but it has to be dead. Faces, feet, eyes, etc. included in the table presentation are fine. I'll eat the parts I want.
5. If I say I have tried it before and do not care for it, I mean it. I appreciate that it is a delicacy in your country. I enthusiastically tried it. Once. I don't have to again. (Corollary to #1, #2 & #3).
6. Beer helps. Immensely. As does bottled water, cola and/or cha.
7. When you visit my country, I expect you to be as open minded to my "native" cuisine as I have been to yours. This particularly applies to visitors from Korea (most "resistant," yet insistent that you should "love" their food IME).