FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Le Meridien ‘s in Singapore – Downtown (Orchard Rd) and Changi Village
Old Apr 2, 2006, 7:35 pm
kluau88

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by ENIAC
Here's the Changi Village report I promised, based on a stay last week (March 26) prior to a 6am flight. Same negative trend as the others.

Check in took a long time. I'd included my SPG Plat status and number in the comments on the reservation and put my Plat card on the counter at checkin. The guy I got on the counter was much less competent than any of the other front desk staff, and got as far as issuing keys without noticing it. When we asked about the platinum benefits he went into the back room to ask what they were. He came back repeating "best room." "That includes standard suites" I helpfully added. We went through the same issue with the ammenity, which he initially stated was free pool access. I explained it was a little present, and he dragged over a colleague who explained that they hadn't yet received any ammenity cards. I told her people usually just take the 500 bonus points which she promised me. The first guy also didn't understand what an "excutive lounge" was, and just told me about the bar, which led me to assume they didn't have one. However, the woman told me that they did, but it was closed due to "low occupancy." I asked for a drink coupon instead, which she gave me. No breakfast voucher, but we were taking the 4am shuttle anyway -- they'd probably have given one if I asked.

We got room 622. Same level as the closed lounge. No apparent benefit apart from a view of water. It was clear from the fire escape map and by looking out of the window that half the rooms on that level had balconies or patios. This one didn't, though we were distracted by the neon glare from the one next door. The room itself was very small, but did have a nice shower and a light wood, modernist IKEA kind of vibe to it. Also no free water bottles. Hard to square being given that as the "best room" the the "low occupancy" comment.

The hotel staff in general were the least competent of the trip, including a $35 a night Holiday Inn resort in Sarawak, Malaysia. I think the checkin guy was mentally slow as well as having bad English, because when we tried to give him stamped postcards to mail he began to tell us that the post office was in the village. Fortunately his colleague walked over and accepted them from us. Too soon to know what she did with them....

We ate in the Japanse restaurant, where it took almost half an hour to have our order taken. The food was delicious, but despite several reminders one of the appetizers never came and was still on the bill at the end. The waitresses seemed well meaning but short staffed and under trained. We never used the drink voucher because it turned out (and this was not written on it) only to be good for non-alcoholic drinks and we were more concerned with getting to sleep early than enjoying a free fruit juice.

We did the express checkout, and I wrote my email address in the box provided to receive a copy of the folio. A week later, no folio and no starpoints posted. I'm dreading having to deal with the hotel to get a copy sent so I can claim the points.

It's true that the hotel is only 15 minutes from the airport, but at 4 in the morning I don't think downtown would be very much more. So unless you get a great price, or really need a stay, it's currently hard to recommend the hotel for a final night or transit stop in SIN.

A final note -- the LM branding was tiny on the hotel sign, in room items and so on. Missing entirely from many of them. On the other hand, there was a big glossy brochure in the room advertising the six or so other hotels owned by the same firm. None of these other hotels had brands attached. This suggests that the hotel owners weren't too interested in the brand franchise previosly, so it fits that they'll be dragging their feet with Starwood. It really made me think about how well policied the Westin and Sheraton branding is -- keys, signs, vans, front desk, toiletries, menus, etc. Starwood may have some enforcing to do.
Neither of my LM stays in Singapore have posted yet either. As I posted above I stayed at the LM Changi and the LM Orchard for one night each while staying at the Sheraton for 2 nights. I think the hotel is about 15 minutes from the aiport. Here's my logic in staying at Changi Village vs. staying downtown after I arrived close to midnight. The price difference between hotels was 30 SGD if I stayed at the LM Orchard. After midnight probably the only option of getting to town is via a cab since the MRT stops operating then. Taking a cab after midnight but before 1AM incurs an 35% surcharge. I believe a cab from Changi to downtown is roughly 12-15 SGD before any late night surcharges. From 1AM to 5AM there is a 50% surcharge. By staying at the LM Changi on my first night I figured I saved roughly 50 SGD.

On my last night I stayed at the Sheraton even though I had an early morning departure on UA to HKG. Most of the times I've flown UA out in the AM ex-SIN it's meant leaving the Sheraton sometime around 5AM. I went out to dinner with my friend the evening before I left last week. She's a FA with SIA so she's got a driver who takes her to/from the airport since they are prohibited from taking buses/MRT while in uniform. I asked her if she could call her driver to see if he could pick me up and take me to Changi for my 6:45 AM flight. She called and within a couple minutes my transport from the Sheraton to Changi was set. The cost for this was 20 SGD for a 5AM pickup. She normally pays a flat 15 SGD and lives within a few minutes of the Sheraton. Not sure what she pays if she's got a late arrival or early morning departure. Anyhow the difference is minimal. Transport to Changi was a new Mercedes.

So for a savings of 50 SGD, it probably is worth it to stay at Changi Village upon a late night UA arrival even though they might not be fully compliant with SPG benefits yet. Hopefully by April they will be on the ball in regards to benefits. I could have stayed at the LM Changi on the evening prior to my departure, but the Sheraton is more convenient to my friend when we see each other.