FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Columbus to Paris and Stockholm in Air France L'Espace Premiere
Old Apr 14, 2005, 1:34 am
Mats

Paris to Stockholm

AF1016 CDG (2D) – ARN (T5)
A320-200
Seat 2D

I managed to find an express RER train from Chatelet-les-Halles to Roissy, so the trip was quite quick and painless. I was seated uncomfortably close to two ridiculously loud women from Queens. They looked like Pam Greer and a Sopranos understudy. They had a lengthy conversation about the time change and about how the cheese and sausage were “smelling up” Mrs. Soprano’s bag. I hope that their cheese gets confiscated by US Ag inspection. They’d probably prefer Velveeta and Bob Evans anyway.

Once again, I didn’t have any trouble locating check-in, my gate, and so on. I’ve never had trouble with the signage at Terminal 2 and there seemed to be enough Air France staff around if one had questions.

The agent explained that Delta issued my ticket as paper not electronic, but they had only made this mistake on one segment. She politely called a supervisor, made the change, and apologized profusely.

Security entailed a 5-7 minute wait. I couldn’t quite figure out their frisking policy. It seemed that some people got a second chance with the metal detector, others weren’t so lucky. But their actual frisking was so quick that it hardly seemed to be a problem. I, however, didn’t suffer this indignity. Yet again, European security seemed quick, thorough, friendly, and without yelling. There were no rules, no lengthy explanations (“I’m now going to touch you inappropriately with the back of my hand. Is that okay? Or would you prefer not to fly and get a fine?”) The SIFA security were also dressed in natty outfits with matching navy blue gloves--a far cry from the cheap vinyl TSA gloves that enhance their rent-a-cop appearance.

Once in the boarding area, there were a wide array of French and foreign newspapers. I helped myself to a Herald Tribune and a Wall Street Journal.

Boarding was about 15 minutes late, but agents made several announcements in English and in French. As expected, there was general boarding only. nothing by row number and no advanced boarding for passengers in L’Espace Affaires. But it wasn’t a mess; there were two lines, no shoving, and no yelling. To my delight, we actually boarded by Jetway and not by bus.

On board, I was greeted with orange juice, water, or Champagne as well as a wide selection of magazines.

The A320 cabin looked great. Wide seats, spotless, and large bins. I was pleased to find that seat 2D is the best seat in Business Class. It has more legroom than any other.

Our taxi was surprisingly quick, past the deserted Terminal 1 and mysterious Terminal 3.

Inflight, we were treated to “lunch.” This was much better than I anticipated. No cheap plastic tray. Instead, we received the following:
Two large shrimp on a bed of peppers and carrots with a slice of grapefruit
Several large roast beef slices accompanied by ratatouille and olives
Camembert, Comté, butter
Apple cake
Two tiny chocolates
Mini-baguettes
Again, the bread was served at room temperature, but perhaps this is a cultural difference rather than a service shortcoming. The rest of the meal was quite good, especially the cake. Coffee and tea (with real milk) were served after the meal.

I would say that Air France European business class is equivalent to “premium economy.” The seat is not comparable to US domestic first class, but it’s not uncomfortable. The food is entirely comparable to longhaul economy class on a good airline.

Landing was punctual at Arlanda. There was a lengthy taxi but we arrived at the closest gate to the terminal exit. There was perhaps a 10 minute wait for bags, but mine was perhaps the fourth or fifth to be unloaded.

There didn’t seem to be anyone at Customs, so the plane-to-street journey took only about 15 minutes.

Coming up: back to Paris and the (ha ha) Paris Hilton.