FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Randy, a modest proposal for an OMNI-style forum that would be an ASSET to FT
Old Oct 5, 2004, 2:58 pm
Randy Petersen
Founder of FlyerTalk

cblaisd, appreciate the idea. But I really don't see it working. Look at this thread. count up the percentage of comments that are on topic. Less than 100% would indicate that no matter what the purpose of another OMNI, it will waiver in its intent and as noted - it really gets old after a while. I'm comfortable that we've tried several reasonable ways to to urge members of FlyerTalk to embrace a better environment in OMNI - this probably goes back a few years? and all those ways were based on input from the members interested in that forum. I think it fair that none have been that sucessful in the long term. We're a nation and world of rules and laws - none of them caused by activities of the majority. FlyerTalk is no different. Certainly for the next while, we need to give it a rest. Already some members are violating the TOS by starting OMNI-like posts in other forums, even indicating they know it is the wrong place. Even those with good intentions have a challenge bringinh back OMNI because the basic rules and policies on FlyerTalk are not being adhered to. And you know what, i also miss OMNI though you would not think to hear me say so. I remember relying on OMNI for info about XM-radio, for input about my beloved Mac computers and even the humor of some of the nonsense. I didn't visit there very often and feel quite sorry I have interupted the greater pleasure of those types of topics for many members. But in 2004, more than 300 actions were taken with timeouts, warnings, posting redirection and bans. Of that number, more than 96% were related to the forum we call OMNI. A newly appointed member of the moderator staff sent me an email shortly after volunteering stating their amazement of the sheer number of infractions in that list which they could see with access to the TalkTeam forum. Of all the things they could have said upon starting a volunteer role on FlyerTalk - that was it. Fact is - you wore me out. I've been known for a long time here at work for my patience and am willing to work and take the flack and risk to see something mature and develope, but there's a limit. Surely some or i would hope many of you members saw this coming. Hasn't this forum been closed once or twice or three times before? I tried reason. I tried threats. I tried being patient. But what I never tried, was admitting that the Internet was not special. That FlyerTalk was not special. As a community, we've got a lot to be thankful for, a lot to be proud of. But frankly, I can't be proud of anything that is less than 100% good.

So, let's take a break from this topic. It's only been closed for a day and already we want to re-open? That's not nearly enough time to learn. That's not nearly enough time to reflect. That's not nearly enough time to really feel the loss of something unique as OMNI.

Last edited by Randy Petersen; Jan 14, 2007 at 11:47 am