FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - W Maldives [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:27 am
MrM2016

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
Some final thoughts now we head home, after an overnight stop:
1. Anyone visiting should read bgriff's review. His tips were invaluable throughout our stay.
2. For the overwater villas we recommend being further out. The seaplane, weather permitting, lands right next to the closest ocean view ones. I asked for the one further out for the privacy and we loved it.
3. The reef on the ocean side is far superior to the lagoon side, but the water is choppier.
4. Tipping: Recommended for housekeeping. We got the same cleaner and he did a great job for us with multiple gestures and gifts. We felt it made a real difference to the service provided. Tipping elsewhere did not male a significant difference. I regret leaving cash at the restaurants as it just got swiped by whoever got there first.
5. Communication: Whatsapp worked well. This is recommended over constantly calling.
6. Buggies: We used these a lot being at the end of the jetty. Getting one is easy except when the team are welcoming new guests, service collapses for about 20 minutes or so in these windows.
7. Water Activities: We booked the speedboat snorkelling which was just shy of $250 all in. This was excellent, we had the full 2 hours with a very enthusiastic guide. We got to see more than the house reef with this. Even better, it said minimum of 4 guests but they went ahead with just the 2 of us.

Bottom line: This resort is truly magical. It is also exceptionally well run. The general manager clearly runs a very tight ship and this is plain to see. He is also constantly present. All aspects of service were excellent and the maintenance of the island is first class. Food was of course expensive, but we were delighted the quality was predominantly good to excellent. I was shocked that I found the food superior to the St Regis Abu Dhabi where we stayed before the trip.

We have a points booking next year at the Westin. I will be thinking long and hard if we will find the extra points to return to the W instead.