FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PAR - PTP
Thread: PAR - PTP
View Single Post
Old Jul 19, 2004, 11:14 am
Richelieu

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Hi,

The old 747s flying to PTP (and other DOM/TOM) offers 3 classes of service : economy (called Tempo), economy plus (called Alizé) and full business class.

These planes are usually very very full, especially during the high season, but I've flown 4 times, round trip, there, and never did I see the business cabin full, so I suspect they will upgrade you to Alizé, if anything.

I would advice to avoid Tempo class, as the 747 has a either 470 or 507 pax, and you'll be very packed in Tempo. Alizé class will get you a larger seat pitch and a slightly better meal (but don't get excited over it). You'll hopefully avoid deep vein thrombosis if you can afford it. In Tempo and Alizé, you won't have in-seat video, it's only in business. And even there, IFE is basic.

The lounge in PTP is basic. You'll have newspapers, plates of fresh fruits, crackers, free coffee, fruit juice and alcohol. It is open 2 hours before your flight, so no need to get there early : I was actually asked to leave because they admitted me in the preceding shift.

If you can afford to spend a little to improve your comfort, I would advice the following trick : SXM (Saint Martin) is served by a newer A340, 3 class configuration (First, Business and eco) sold as Business, Alizé and Eco. It has in-seat IFE, and much better seating space in econonomy. SXM-PTP is flown often by Air Caraibes, and costs approx 100 euros. It might be worth a try if you're planning to seat in Economy.