FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Domestic First Meal Service Reduction
Old May 16, 2018, 8:15 pm
TexasAggie02

Programs: United GS, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
“Lunch” and GS response

SAT - ORD “Lunch” flight

Above is what I had on my flight from SAT to ORD today. Granted it was on a UAX flight vs. a mainline, but I've had a rash of these great experiences lately. The cheese on this actually smelled foul which was fantastic. I wrote in to the GS support team and got the following response.

Dear TexasAggie02,

I'm sorry we did not provide you with an enjoyable meal service on your recent flights.

You wanted to enjoy your dining experience and I can certainly understand your disappointment. As a result of the feedback received, we are reinstating the meal services that recently changed on May 1, 2018. United reversed their decision and are putting the full meal service back in the Premium cabins.

We're listening to our passengers more than ever and working hard to be your airline of choice. On behalf of United, we look forward to welcoming you aboard your next flight.

Sincerely,

Global Services Customer Care
My email to them:
Hi GS Team,

I've noticed a trend recently and am hoping I am just having bad luck as its not a positive experience. Over the last few months I've noticed that several of my afternoon flights that the website and UA App state as a lunch service either only have a "snack", which was about a 1/4 of a small wrap, a boxed cheese/cracker plate that looks like a kids lunchable (DFW - EWR) or today on my SAT - ORD flight only a small cheese plate that had 10 grapes, 1 strawberry, two small pieces of cheese and a chocolate square.

I routinely am rushing to an airport to get on a flight and don't always have enough time to grab food in the airport or in the United lounge, so these recent trips where the "lunch" was less than a snack makes for an uncomfortable 2.5-3.5 hours when you are hungry.

Compare this to a Turkish flight I was on from ATH to IST (which is about 80mins) the FA had a full hot meal for breakfast and it was quite tasty.

Is this the new normal? How do infrequent flyers know about this if they are also expecting a meal?

Last edited by TexasAggie02; May 16, 2018 at 8:22 pm Reason: Mobile wasn't friendly to type in