FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   airBaltic introduces it's own frequent flyer program (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/988091-airbaltic-introduces-its-own-frequent-flyer-program.html)

dabee69 Aug 24, 2009 9:19 am

airBaltic introduces it's own frequent flyer program

It feels like BT is going to split off Eurobonus relatively soon. At the C checkin noticed couple of new booklets. One of them is called "Join airBaltic's new loyalty programme BalticMiles" (with extra "me" at the end of the word "program").

It is an application to join their new program which starts October 1, 2009. They say there will be 3 levels - First, Executive and VIP. No details on thresholds given. All classes earn miles flown, no 25% or any other rule seems to be present.

Is does say however that miles will be usable for upgrades to higher service classes. 500 miles welcome bonus :rolleyes:

Couple of examples given:
Welcome miles 500 miles
Riga-London-Riga in Economy 1036 miles
Riga-Brussels-Riga in Business 3548 miles

and so on. End of the example says that 7036 is enough for one way flight in Economy class to WAW/STO/CPH/HEL/OSL/BGO.

Neither check-in, nor lounge staff has a clue on the new program.

tsastor Aug 24, 2009 11:49 am

This is bad both for airBaltic and SAS. No reason to fly airBaltic anymore and no reason to choose EB instead of another *A program.

naitkris Aug 24, 2009 1:13 pm

If EuroBonus will no longer earn miles on BT flights and if EBG will no longer give lounge access at RIX when flying BT then I will no longer be flying BT ever again - simple as that.

FlyingFinn Aug 25, 2009 12:03 am

Originally Posted by tsastor (Post 12274605)
This is bad both for airBaltic and SAS. No reason to fly airBaltic anymore and no reason to choose EB instead of another *A program.

Well, since the introduction of fuel surcharges for EB award tickets what point do you have sticking to EB anyway? Ok, if you fly enough SK intercontinental then the point upgrades are sweet, but otherwise no dice.

Let's see, maybe the BT program won't charge fuel surcharges for award flights which would make it a sweet deal indeed. Not that I believe this at all..

SK_RSJ Aug 25, 2009 1:40 am

Originally Posted by naitkris (Post 12275117)
If EuroBonus will no longer earn miles on BT flights and if EBG will no longer give lounge access at RIX when flying BT then I will no longer be flying BT ever again - simple as that.

Problem is, how do one travel to RIX avoiding BT...

jefi99 Aug 25, 2009 1:47 am

Originally Posted by SK_RSJ (Post 12278440)

LO via WAW, LH via FRA, AY via HEL, OK via PRG? :(

SK_RSJ Aug 25, 2009 1:57 am

Originally Posted by jefi99 (Post 12278456)
LO via WAW, LH via FRA, AY via HEL, OK via PRG? :(

Based in SK-land (ARN), so go count...
Unfortunately my baltic travel is likely to increase. (I do like Riga, but like miles to post to EB as well...)

jefi99 Aug 25, 2009 2:05 am

Originally Posted by SK_RSJ (Post 12278473)
Unfortunately my baltic travel is likely to increase. (I do like Riga, but like miles to post to EB as well...)

That is why I had the :( after my suggestion ;)
I guess your only real alternative (FR from Skavsta?) is not really an alternative.

I do agree, that the BT split up from EuroBonus is not really good news.

ILS2 Aug 25, 2009 2:19 am

Originally Posted by SK_RSJ (Post 12278473)

You also have Estonian Air and Austrian, though the latter does not fly to the Baltics, but quite a few other Eastern European destinations. Air Baltic will definitely not be so attractive anymore, unless they become a full *A member.

tsastor Aug 25, 2009 4:26 am

Originally Posted by SK_RSJ (Post 12278440)

Understand this may be a problem, but at least using RIX as a gateway (as BT's strategy is based on) will not be an option for FT'ers I think.

Toli Aug 25, 2009 8:55 am

Originally Posted by ILS2 (Post 12278521)
You also have Estonian Air and Austrian, though the latter does not fly to the Baltics,

OS? It certainly does, to VNO.

another_shot Aug 25, 2009 9:46 am

Bad news indeed, especially for Baltic residents. It is hard to avoid BT if you are RIX/VNO based (and TLL to some extend), LO/LH/OS don't have too many frequencies, not suitable to fly to Scandinavia etc, OV is simply a joke now. Let's see what the treshholds would be and what kind of benefits, I would probably be able to still to qualify gold both BT and SK but it is not nice to spread the miles across 2 programmes.

jefi99 Aug 25, 2009 10:21 am

If SK and BT stops all co-operation, it is probably a matter of time, before SK would start RIX-CPH and RIX-ARN? Or they could let OV do it?

WilcoRoger Aug 25, 2009 10:29 am

If it's an "independent", non-alliance FFP, than it's going to be as useful as Icelandair's... is BT shooting itself in the foot?

Toli Aug 25, 2009 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by another_shot (Post 12279926)
Bad news indeed, especially for Baltic residents. It is hard to avoid BT if you are RIX/VNO based (and TLL to some extend), LO/LH/OS don't have too many frequencies, not suitable to fly to Scandinavia etc,

If you make it a point not to fly the LCC that is BT, it's not too hard;)
How much worse can they get?