Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Is SAS planning to charge for baggage soon?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2009, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: EBG, Ctrip-Platinum,

I was booking a flight between Beijing and Finland on SAS' page, in addition to the price, there is a line caught my attention: "Additional baggage charge may apply"

Does this mean that SAS is also planning to charge for baggage as the American airlines and LC airlines are doing? Anyone has some "inside" information?
Old Feb 12, 2009, 7:49 am

Programs: EB*G, BD*G, HH Silver, FB, AA, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold
No, and I highly doubt they will. At least here in Norway they have during the last years pointed out that baggage is included and beginning charging for it will be a contradiction to their new "Core SAS" strategy. So it's nothing I'm worried about

I think this is just a warnibng with regards to overweight luggage
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Someone83
I think this is just a warnibng with regards to overweight luggage
Yep - that is it. Standard phrase to account for this.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 11:49 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Originally Posted by Someone83
No, and I highly doubt they will. At least here in Norway they have during the last years pointed out that baggage is included and beginning charging for it will be a contradiction to their new "Core SAS" strategy. So it's nothing I'm worried about
Well - I wouldn't count on that. Back in 2004, something like 4-5 months prior to when the P class was introduced I was on an SK flight where the captain (or was it the lead purser?) proudly announced that "With Scandinavian Airlines all the service is free, as you have already paid for that with your ticket - unlike on some other carriers. So kick back and enjoy your flight and the service."... fast forward half a year and what do you know... SK had become a no frills airline.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 12:03 pm

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Well - I wouldn't count on that. Back in 2004, something like 4-5 months prior to when the P class was introduced I was on an SK flight where the captain (or was it the lead purser?) proudly announced that "With Scandinavian Airlines all the service is free, as you have already paid for that with your ticket - unlike on some other carriers. So kick back and enjoy your flight and the service."... fast forward half a year and what do you know... SK had become a no frills airline.
And just after the SAS introduced the P-class, I was attending Blue1/SAS Finland EB meeting in the evening where they presented the new service concept under study for Blue1. They made a big number that they would be still offering the full service onboard Blue1 flights compared to mother company, SAS. Well, the service looked really nice and we were able to give our opinions about the sample food/wines etc.

The service never entered into service but Blue1 followed SAS into the path reducing service.

I don't trust on SAS for not skipping opportunities to reduce service when they can. At the moment, I wouldn't be surprised on pretty much anything.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 12:28 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Originally Posted by miikka
I don't trust on SAS for not skipping opportunities to reduce service when they can. At the moment, I wouldn't be surprised on pretty much anything.
Yeah, my point exactly. Even though SK (and of course a lot of other companies as well) use some slogans on their marketing messages to point out how they are superior to their competition - it doesn't really guarantee anything. Another round of cost cuts and these advantages are gone. It's very easy to replace the marketing message with something else like "With SAS you only pay for those services you use and need. "

The marketing spin doctors are cunning folk.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 1:42 am
AHO

I don't trust words like "Enhancement", "Simplify" from airlines.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 8:42 am

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
I think they might take over the BT model: pay for bags in P class, EBS can take one 10kg bag free, EBG one 20kg bag.

In the future they could also charge for the seats in exit row, window seats, front part seats, the sound-fan-seats (next to the engines of MD80), for manual check-in, for manual boarding, for inflight newspapers, for arriving on time, etc, there is plenty of opportunities here
Old Feb 13, 2009, 8:49 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by Fims
for arriving on time
In case they would then arrive late then it would be force majeure and they would not return the fee.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 11:27 am

Programs: EBG
No baggage surcharge...I guess

I guess and hardly doubt SK will charge the customer for baggage. In Norway at least, they make a point in their commercials that "we don´t charge you anything for your baggage..."
Old Feb 13, 2009, 11:46 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AHO
I don't trust words like "Enhancement", "Simplify" from airlines.
heh heh

'Enhancement' is exactly like 'reform' in politics; you know that things are going to get worse, straightaway.

cheers,

Henry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.