Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

OT: Please help me answer a question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Please help me answer a question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2009, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Question OT: Please help me answer a question

I work at a business travel agency but can't sell private tickets through them. As I really know what I am doing I have many friends that would be interested in buying tickets through me. I also think a good deal of the FT-people might be interested in being able to book for example multicity itineraries through a knowledgeable person. Many here (including me) complain about clueless reservation agents or lack of possibility to book the complex itinerary you found on ITA.

Thus I'm now speaking to a travel agency about selling tickets through them. I would pay a monthly fee plus a service charge for each ticket.

My question now is:
If this is something that is interesting to you, what do you think would be a reasonable service fee? €20, €50 or even more?
Old Jan 29, 2009, 1:10 pm

My parents were looking to book tickets from Milan to South Africa. They were shocked to find out that most Finnish travel agencies wanted 80€ per person for that. They complained to me and I asked them how much they´d be willing to pay to get someone to do the booking for them, instead of going online and paying 10-20€ that most airlines charge. They said 50 per person. I booked the tickets online for them. They were willing to pay aid 50€, I would´ve been willing to pay less as I easily knew how to get these staright forward tix online for a lot less.

If I had something more complex to book, I guess I´d be willing to pay 20-35€ per booking. But as a regular FT, I know most of the tricks to get lower boking fees online as it is. I´m not paying LH 10€ per person at the moment as I know where to get it for free. Same goes for Finnair etc. But I´d be willing to pay, if something canno´t be easily booked online.

I hope you all the best in case you ever start a business on your own.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:49 pm

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Funnily enough I was thinking of the same exact thing this morning since I need to book a somewhat complex (read: "mileage enhancing" ) itinerary for a business trip to the US in the next few days. Luckily I can do this online since I know what I'm doing (and have an US office address at my disposal to use for the US websites that insist on one).

But personally, for my own MR (or whatever purposes) I'd say around 20-30 EUR, depending a bit on the total price & complexity. For long-haul flights (like your legendary DL tickets ) I would probably be willing to go up to 50 EUR, but for simple European trips 25 EUR sounds reasonable to me.

I don't know whether you can make it a viable side business with these prices, but I definitely hope so. Having a "miles-friendly" travel agent at hand is a very good thing.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 1:33 am

Programs: Most of them...
When needed, I have access to a local friendly travel agent who may not be the best expert on miles optimisation but who in combination with my own skills could still be helpful. They charge - if I remember right - EUR 15 per booking.

I have also used the help of another FT'er who has access to TA software. His agency charged me USD 20 per person per booking last year.

These are roughly the amounts I would be comfortable to pay. In some cases maybe a little more (up to EUR 25-30).
Old Jan 30, 2009, 3:20 pm

Programs: SK*G
Great idea!

I, for one, would be very interested. EUR 20- EUR 30, maybe?
Old Feb 5, 2009, 7:48 am

Programs: FBG
Smile This question needs some consideration

50EUR per booking seems to be reasonable price when it comes to booking complex multicity tickets with stop-overs as we are not able to book such via online services.
AFAIK SK charges 500SEK for phone booking and it feels OK when you book something for 1-2KEuros, not to mention family trips when sometimes the total is over 3KEuros per trip.
Another reason why I would rather go to fellow FTer or FT friendly TA is that I would trust that there was no other cheaper option and he/she is not willing to increase his monthly selling plan just to get more commission from his employer.
This one says to me that maybe 50Euro might be too little and maybe 25-30 per ticket is fair enough.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 8:19 am

Programs: EB*G, UA ex1K
I'd probably be willing to pay 15 EUR, maybe 20 EUR, for a simple case (i.e. I hand you ITA fare construction, you hand me a ticket or a 'nope, ITA is busted'). Probably up to 50 EUR or so for something more complicated (fancy multi-city, miles maximizing, etc).

For me the only real draw of a TA would be being able to do things I can't do on airline or orbitz engine.

Good luck!
Old Feb 5, 2009, 8:28 am

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE90-1/210.34.75 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

I either buy from an airline or complicated itineraries via knowledgable business TA. I currently pay around EUR 45-50 service fee. I find it harder to get in touch with knowledgable and open to my needs TA than earn EUR 50

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.