Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS increases the prices for points upgrade

SAS increases the prices for points upgrade

Old Jan 27, 09, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: EB*G, BD*G, HH Silver, FB, AA, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold
Thumbs down SAS increases the prices for points upgrade

From March 1. there are new rules from point upgrades with SAS

http://www.sas.no/no/EuroBonus/Medle...-SAS/?vst=true

Economy--> Economy Extra 20.000
Economy--> Business 50.000
Economy Extra --> Business 30.000

They are realy doing their best to keep their customers choosing other carriers......

Outraged? Sign here, please: http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...cgi?mordi777&1

Last edited by tommy777; Feb 10, 09 at 11:22 am
Old Jan 27, 09, 8:27 am

Programs: Eurobonus (*G)
Originally Posted by Someone83 View Post
From March 1. there are new rules from point upgrades with SAS

http://www.sas.no/no/EuroBonus/Medle...-SAS/?vst=true

Economy--> Economy Extra 20.000
Economy--> Business 50.000
Economy Extra --> Business 30.000

They are realy doing their best to keep their customers choosing other carriers......
So now we have to pay the same for standby upgrade as other carriers charge for a confirmed one. Nice...
Old Jan 27, 09, 8:30 am

Programs: EBG, M&M SEN, FB Gold
This makes me sad to see - very sad. I must say that I am starting to wonder why I am a part of EB. Really they are only making things worse as time goes. And we do not see any good new thing coming out

I will say that I am stopping using points for upgrades and that is probably also what they expect

Tommy > do you have any information about the reason for doing this?

/HerrO
Old Jan 27, 09, 8:30 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, M&M FTL, TK *G HHonors Gold
I used 20.000 points for an economy extra -> biz upgrade from SEA to CPH on Sunday. The lady at the gate in SEA first claimed that I didn't have enough points (I had 23.000 - she didn't see i was in extra at first) - She was wrong, but in just over two months, she would have been right..

I feel a bit annoyed about this. I will have just over 20.000 points as soon as my return flights from SEA posts. Me and a friend have been travelling to the US together the last two years on vacations, and I figured that 20.000 points would be a great excuse to book SAS, and upgrade us to extra on one of the flights, if we end up going again.. Now I don't have to, and can go on a direct flight on CO instead.. Thanks, SAS
Old Jan 27, 09, 8:31 am

Programs: EBG, HH Gold, SPG Gold
I agree. This is plain out stupid, or this is the final hurdle SAS is putting up for those who want to upgrade on long hault flight. Buying a P ticket with SAS and then upgrade is now not really an option. The P class ticket is to expensive in the first place. Secondly they often only get 25 % of the points and then thirdly the upgrade is costing nearly the same as a full C award ticket in the first place.

If they really want to out price them self in this marked, I think they now have succeeded

Can anyone now give me a good reason for choosing SAS anymore ? I have a had time finding one!

Besides, the service often sucks anyway! (You pay for full service and get nothing or close to nothing wile other charge you less and often provide at least some kind of service!)

I check the Swedish EB page, and they have not changed this! Strange, orare they just late ?

Last edited by 3cseat; Jan 27, 09 at 8:39 am
Old Jan 27, 09, 8:32 am

Programs: EBG

Just to much!!!
A 50% premium or 10.000 points for confirmed upgrades could have been a nice feature...
But this means no more upgrades for me and less SK travel intercontinental.
Old Jan 27, 09, 8:33 am

Programs: AY, SK, AF/KL + randomly others
I hope this will imply that there is actually a chance to GET an upgrade to C. Out of 5 times I've asked, it was only possible twice (though, one of them I actually didn't have to use any points ). And out of the 3 other times, only once was the C cabin actually full, two other times it was the usual 'no meals available' reason (and then the CAs upgraded some passengers after all...).
Old Jan 27, 09, 8:33 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

*censored*

This was the ONLY good value way to redeem your EB points. Another reason to get rid of your EB status.
Old Jan 27, 09, 8:45 am

Programs: EBG, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by tommy777 View Post
*censored*

This was the ONLY good value way to redeem your EB points. Another reason to get rid of your EB status.

Agreed. I have enough points for next year G status, but I recond this will be the last year. Goodby 8 years with silver and then 11 consecutive years with Gold in EB.
There will not the a 12th year for sure! It's not worth it
Old Jan 27, 09, 8:46 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
*censored*

I don't think it is the only good value, I can see another one, for Nordic-Baltic trip, especially some beyond hubs, like LYR, TOS, KRN, RVN... since those flying SK should like Nordic countries, as I do
hope they are not planning to increase the points from 12000 to 20000 or so...

It looks like these airlines are colliding on their FF programs, with FB, DL, SK making such changes at similar times.
Old Jan 27, 09, 8:59 am

Programs: SK*B, M&M
Can the increase in points be in respect for the fullpaying passengers travelling in Business Class? too many upgrades "destroying" the cabin?

SWISS only offers Upgrade-at-gate for FTL, SEN, HON-members.

Miles-and-More/SWISS Last Minute Upgrade from Economy to Business Class
Europe - USA 35.000 in Y or B -class
other classes (except W, E, T) 50.000 miles

What offer for ex. AY, KL/AF?

//I
Old Jan 27, 09, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by ranskis View Post
I don't think it is the only good value, I can see another one, for Nordic-Baltic trip, especially some beyond hubs, like LYR, TOS, KRN, RVN... since those flying SK should like Nordic countries, as I do
hope they are not planning to increase the points from 12000 to 20000 or so...

It looks like these airlines are colliding on their FF programs, with FB, DL, SK making such changes at similar times.
Fair enough, but it's something only a very few of the members will have use for. Upgrade on intercont is something everyone could use.

If I use United Miles, I can fly anywhere within Europe for 25K miles, that's a hell of a lot better than what SK offers (except within "Scandinavia")

Just remember the history here: In the last five years, it has changed like this:

When the Airbus came: 10K to Extra, 20K to Biz, before the Airbus came, 20K to Biz. Then they increased Eco to Biz from 20-30 and Extra to Biz from 10-20. Now, only a couple of years later they increase Eco to biz 20K more, meaning an increase from 20-50K in less than 5 years.

Banana Republic inflation in my book.

I guess we will see emptier C cabins in the future. They are not selling any seats at all and now they won't award loyal customers the empty seats without forking over a fortune.
Old Jan 27, 09, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Intra View Post
Can the increase in points be in respect for the fullpaying passengers travelling in Business Class? too many upgrades "destroying" the cabin?

SWISS only offers Upgrade-at-gate for FTL, SEN, HON-members.

Miles-and-More/SWISS Last Minute Upgrade from Economy to Business Class
Europe - USA 35.000 in Y or B -class
other classes (except W, E, T) 50.000 miles

What offer for ex. AY, KL/AF?

//I
Big difference. LH Senators *Gold gets 2 e-upgrade vouchers a year, so a free intercont upgrade at the same rates as SAS.

There's another huge difference: LH has F and they actually SELL their C seats compared to SAS.

As usual, SAS is looking at LH for ideas, but they are "forgetting" to adapt the positive things the M&M program has, like a minimum of 50% miles on long haul instead of the 25% SAS awards 80% of the alphabet.
Old Jan 27, 09, 9:06 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo,SPG Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum (IEC&FI)
Agree. Already in the process, I think my EBG will change to EBS some time in March and after that I will just swap it as EBS is no value at all.
Old Jan 27, 09, 9:20 am
AHO

Originally Posted by miikka View Post
Agree. Already in the process, I think my EBG will change to EBS some time in March and after that I will just swap it as EBS is no value at all.
I use solely EB award within Scandinavia or within Asia.
30k in Eco/45k in Biz are still good value,

Search this Thread
Search Engine: