Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Finnish Diners Club holders: Point exchange promo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2008, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others

I just noticed that Diners Club has a special offer in Finland, whereby one can exchange Diners' club rewards points into SAS EB points with a 1:1 ratio until December 31. Compared to the standard conversion ratio I think this is a good offer.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 3:22 pm

The standard conversion rate is huge joke in Finland. even at the promo rate I´d be crazy to redeem points for EB. For a 1000 points +34 euros? you can get the restaurant voucher worth 84 euros. EB points don´t come close to that, imo.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 11:28 pm

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Nice ... and just after I did transfer quite many points with the standard rate.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Originally Posted by Helsinki Flyer
The standard conversion rate is huge joke in Finland. even at the promo rate I´d be crazy to redeem points for EB. For a 1000 points +34 euros? you can get the restaurant voucher worth 84 euros. EB points don´t come close to that, imo.
Well, in addition to the 1000 points you will need to pay 39 euros in cash for the restaurant voucher, which reduces the value of the points to 45 euros for 1000 points... of course determining the exact value of Diners or any other points is not straightforward, as many different types of rewards offer different level of value. I guess the only thing that can be agreed is that if you plan to transfer points from DC to EB, now would be a good time to do it. Personally, I am currently some 20000 points short of a long-haul C award ticket on SK, and using credit card points to boost SK balance makes achieving that award a bit faster.

How much are the SK points worth, though? On long-haul C (say, to North America) the cost is 90000 points, which could have a market value of 2000 euros. Doing the math would suggest that 1000 points in this case could be worth 22,22 euros. Still less than the 45 euros, but not completely bad. Besides I would not plan on eating in a fancy restaurant 90 times in a row anyway...
Old Dec 20, 2008, 3:43 am

If you want points for a 1:1 ratio, why don´t you use a EB MC? There´s a 5000 point sign-up bonus as well.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
If you want points for a 1:1 ratio, why don´t you use a EB MC? There´s a 5000 point sign-up bonus as well.
Some people signed up for both for 17k :-)

(though I must agree, the FI DC -> EB conversion rate is pathetic, even compared to other Nordic countires rate. In SE it's 10 SEK -> 1 mile, which is ca. 1:1 The restaurant coupons seem a good deal, but I sorely miss the option to transfer points to hotel progs (HH or PC) as you can with Amex. Anyway 12k points just for signing up is a good deal in anyone's dictionary)
Old Dec 20, 2008, 5:56 am

Programs: SK*G
Nope, in Sweden it is even more - SEK 100 equals 15 EuroBonus-points. The EB Mastercard is SEK 100 = 10 EuroBonus-points though.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johanmm
Nope, in Sweden it is even more - SEK 100 equals 15 EuroBonus-points. The EB Mastercard is SEK 100 = 10 EuroBonus-points though.
So the big question is why DC discriminates so much its Finland based members? Lack of competition? Finland is rather poorly served with co-branded (or other miles earning) credit cards - AY EC and Amex are the only ones that come to mine and even Amex is back to Membership Rewards with its Hilton co-branded cards expiring at the end of this month.
(but DC is loosing even the comparison with Amex: 21 eur = 21* MR points = 21 Hilton Honours points, 21 eur = 21 CR points = 10 HiltonHonours points)
*multiply by 1,5 for Amex Gold
Old Dec 21, 2008, 1:30 am
Original Poster

I have that as well, and use it quite frequently. However Diners Club premium has additional insurance coverage for items bought with the card, which is a superior benefit compared to the EB MC, and with that benefit in place, I would not even think about buying electronics or other expensive items with MC.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
So the big question is why DC discriminates so much its Finland based members? Lack of competition? Finland is rather poorly served with co-branded (or other miles earning) credit cards - AY EC and Amex are the only ones that come to mine and even Amex is back to Membership Rewards with its Hilton co-branded cards expiring at the end of this month.
(but DC is loosing even the comparison with Amex: 21 eur = 21* MR points = 21 Hilton Honours points, 21 eur = 21 CR points = 10 HiltonHonours points)
*multiply by 1,5 for Amex Gold
One way to compare the cards is to pick a flight reward and to see how much you need to spend to get the reward. As an example, let's consider a RT ticket to North America in C class. SAS charges 90k points for such an award, and for example AY charges 170k for the same award.

With the EB MC, one needs to spend 90 000 eur on the card to obtain the award. The same is possible with AY's Mastercard or Visa for a spending of 170 000 eur, which makes the EB MC superior against the AY credit cards, albeit that you would earn 10k "free" points annually with the AY Visa Gold. Diners Club in Finland allows points to be transferred to EB, and with the standard conversion rate of 2523 Diners points to 1000 EB points, the award is yours for a 227070 euro shopping tour. American Express gold and platinum cards earn 1,5 amex points per euro, which can be transferred to SN points, and with SN points one can redeem an AA or AY tkt in C to North America for 90k SN points, which are yours against a 60 000 eur shopping tour, making American Express gold or platinum the clear winner of the comparison. The above is valid obviously for Finland only.

Of course it is not completely that simple. Only a few of us would actually earn entire awards with credit card points, so whatever mileage one earns by flying makes a great deal of difference. Topping up a few thousand missing points is certainly possible with any of these cards, and with Amex that would only be possible if one collects miles on the airlines they have an agreement with.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Trav1970
One way to compare the cards is to pick a flight reward and to see how much you need to spend to get the reward. As an example, let's consider a RT ticket to North America in C class. SAS charges 90k points for such an award, and for example AY charges 170k for the same award.

American Express gold and platinum cards earn 1,5 amex points per euro, which can be transferred to SN points, and with SN points one can redeem an AA or AY tkt in C to North America for 90k SN points, which are yours against a 60 000 eur shopping tour, making American Express gold or platinum the clear winner of the comparison. The above is valid obviously for Finland only.
I completely missed the SN option for Amex MR, thanks for the tip! Of course one should also consider upgrade awards, etc - life is difficult

(NB - after Amex announced the end of their Hilton branded card, I called them. They first offered the green card, I said I already have it so finally got Amex Gold for free as a "compensation" Of course first I emptied my MR account for the "green" card, which was a clever thing to do, because the MR account for the gold card started from 0 points and the account for the green one just disappeared into thin air)
Old Dec 21, 2008, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
(NB - after Amex announced the end of their Hilton branded card, I called them. They first offered the green card, I said I already have it so finally got Amex Gold for free as a "compensation" Of course first I emptied my MR account for the "green" card, which was a clever thing to do, because the MR account for the gold card started from 0 points and the account for the green one just disappeared into thin air)
Goes OT, but you should have asked Amex to transfer your points to your new card. Worked like a charm at least for me when I switched card types.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 2:21 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
I tried at least...

A few months ago I sent the following letter to Diners Club Finland, never received an answer from them:
When I was a member of Diners Club Sweden I received 15 SAS Eurobonus points per 100 SEK (~10.5 EUR) spent.

Now that I have switched to Diners Club Finland I only receive (10 Club Rewards per 10 EUR, converted to Eurobonus points at a rate of 2523 => 1000) 4 SAS Eurobonus points per 10 EUR.

How come you give your members not even a third of what you award your Swedish members?

Furthermore, in a comparison to American Express you fare pretty poorly. While they do not allow transfer to Eurobonus, they do to AF/KLM Flying Blue (their miles have roughly the same value as the SAS points). They award their customers 10 Membership Reward points for every 10 EUR spent (for a green card holder, upgraded cards get 1,5x). These can then be converted to Flying Blue miles at a rate 5 => 4. Thus the card holder will receive 8 Flying Blue miles for every 10 EUR. Though not as good as in Sweden it is still much better than the Diners Club offering.

Are you in the process of changing this or are these the conditions offered?
Old Dec 25, 2008, 4:42 pm

Programs: Spire, Hilton D, Accor P, SPG Plat, Radisson G, Shangri-La Diamond, Hertz PC, AY Lumo
Finnish Diners Club to SAS EB point exchange promo

There is a limit of 10.000 points that you can exchange. They state at their website that one can exchange max. 10 units, one unit being 1000 points.

Last edited by finflyer; Dec 26, 2008 at 4:02 am
Old Dec 26, 2008, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by finflyer
There is a limit of 10.000 points that you can exchange. They state at their website that one can exchange max. 10 units, one unite being 1000 points.
Combined with the double points campaign for Nov-Jan this start to sound a decent proposal: 1 eur = 2 EB points. Too bad it will be gone in less than a week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.