FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   EB advantages over M&M ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/886576-eb-advantages-over-m-m.html)

WilcoRoger Nov 8, 2008 3:31 am

EB advantages over M&M ?

What are the advantages of EB over M&M? So far I have credited all my *A flights to M&M and I'm a SEN (*A gold) there.

Now there's a promotion (in FI at least) to take out EB branded Diners Club card for 15k miles (and 7k for SEB EB EC) I took the plunge, my brand new DC has arrived. Now I'm thinking what to do?

What are the advantages of crediting flights to EB. Are there lots of promos like for M&M (large number of miles can be earned there just for signign up for free promos of unrelated companies) I also like their fixed Eur flight miles.

Earn/burn ratio comparisons?

One obvious advantage is if I move my mailing address out of Scandinavia *A gold is just 40k miles p.a

FlyingFinn Nov 8, 2008 1:19 pm

Not too many promos, definitely not as much as with M&M (or M&L, depending on your viewpoint :)).

Lately more and more targeted offers have started to appear - things like "Fly 4 flights in Economy Extra and receive XXXX extra points" etc.

Advantages:

- Elite bonuses on all SK group fights (includes WF, BT, OV and KF)

- 12K intra-Scandinavian/Baltic awards a great great great value (HEL-OSL-TOS-LYR-TOS-OSL-HEL for 12K points is an unbeatable deal!)

- As an EBG you get Fast track security in CPH, OSL & ARN (value depends obviously on whether you fly C or Y and whether these are your frequent destinations). Not in HEL at the moment, although that might change once the T1/2 split is complete...

Again, as with most FFPs whether it's worth it or not depends on your personal flying patterns. If you frequent Scandinavia a lot and fly SK group companies then it's quite valuable to have. If you fly mostly LH or other *A partners, it might not be worth it - unless you fly sufficiently to allow you to keep *G status on both programs (but then again you might want to try for LH HON in this case).

WilcoRoger Nov 8, 2008 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingFinn (Post 10687389)
Not too many promos, definitely not as much as with M&M (or M&L, depending on your viewpoint :)).

Lately more and more targeted offers have started to appear - things like "Fly 4 flights in Economy Extra and receive XXXX extra points" etc.

Advantages:

- Elite bonuses on all SK group fights (includes WF, BT, OV and KF)

- 12K intra-Scandinavian/Baltic awards a great great great value (HEL-OSL-TOS-LYR-TOS-OSL-HEL for 12K points is an unbeatable deal!)

- As an EBG you get Fast track security in CPH, OSL & ARN (value depends obviously on whether you fly C or Y and whether these are your frequent destinations). Not in HEL at the moment, although that might change once the T1/2 split is complete...

Again, as with most FFPs whether it's worth it or not depends on your personal flying patterns. If you frequent Scandinavia a lot and fly SK group companies then it's quite valuable to have. If you fly mostly LH or other *A partners, it might not be worth it - unless you fly sufficiently to allow you to keep *G status on both programs (but then again you might want to try for LH HON in this case).

Thanks for this! I'll probalby keep EB as a "backup" to collect odd bits of points + use the Scandinavian 12k deals - sounds too sweet to be true!:)

FlyingFinn Nov 8, 2008 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger (Post 10687891)
Thanks for this! I'll probalby keep EB as a "backup" to collect odd bits of points + use the Scandinavian 12k deals - sounds too sweet to be true!:)

It is. And since there are point bargain special award offers every month, you can often do these kind of trips for 6K points. Plus you get an additional 500 point discount if you have the combined EB/DC card...

The way they calculate the point bargain awards is very interesting. If you you have a point bargain offer for HEL-CPH-HEL for 6K points it actually applies to any award routing as long as you include the discounted segment in your itinerary. Out- and inbound are calculated separately. In this example, you could do HEL-CPH-OSL-TRD-BGO-ARN-HEL for 9K points (3K discount on the outbound as you have HEL-CPH segment there), or HEL-CPH-OSL-TRD-BGO-CPH-HEL for 6K points as you have both HEL-CPH and CPH-HEL there. You also get a discount if going for a higher award zone, so HEL-CPH-AMS-CPH-HEL would be 30K - 6K points = 24K points.

One can really use this to have some extremely attractive awards. Award availability is usually quite OK.

ErasmusEBS Nov 9, 2008 1:22 am

Another plus with EB is that you can earn/spend miles with BT (AirBaltic), they have an extensive network of odd destinations and offer very reasonable fares to for instance EVN, TBS and GYD, places that can be quite expensive otherwise.

tsastor Nov 9, 2008 2:29 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger (Post 10684359)
Now there's a promotion (in FI at least) to take out EB branded Diners Club card for 15k miles (and 7k for SEB EB EC)

Link, please!

TTL Nov 9, 2008 6:00 am

Slightly OT: Get the Finnish DC Premium card and have the EBG as a compliment - as long as you keep the DC. €200 per year. Could the *A gold status be obtained any other way cheaper? :o

WilcoRoger Nov 9, 2008 7:21 am

Originally Posted by tsastor (Post 10692520)
Link, please!

Sorry, I dont' have one ready, it was in one of the SAS e-mail newsletters. (Oct, maybe?)

EDIT

Here it is, though "only" 12k points. Offer valid for first 3000 new members until 12Dec08.

http://www.dinersclub.fi/DOF/Join/SasEuroBonus.aspx

WilcoRoger Nov 9, 2008 7:22 am

Originally Posted by TTL (Post 10693175)
Slightly OT: Get the Finnish DC Premium card and have the EBG as a compliment - as long as you keep the DC. €200 per year. Could the *A gold status be obtained any other way cheaper? :o

Wow, it's my turn now to say "Links, please!"

TTL Nov 9, 2008 7:38 am

https://secure.dinersclub.fi/dcf/contact/forms.aspx

Above are the contact details. Ask for an application form. The Premium option is not advertised on the DC web pages. There is an income requirement and I suppose you must have had a regular DC for some years. A quite extensive travel insurance comes also along. Plus a €10.000 credit limit for the DC and another €10.000 spending limit for the optional, accompanying MC Globe Card (payments due every month). The card itself is nice, black with bright silver world theme on it.

tsastor Nov 9, 2008 9:44 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger (Post 10693448)
Sorry, I dont' have one ready, it was in one of the SAS e-mail newsletters. (Oct, maybe?)

EDIT

Here it is, though "only" 12k points. Offer valid for first 3000 new members until 12Dec08.

http://www.dinersclub.fi/DOF/Join/SasEuroBonus.aspx

just one more link request. Do you have one for the SEB EB EC (Or did you mean SEB EB MC?)

miikka Nov 9, 2008 10:48 am

Originally Posted by TTL (Post 10693175)

Sometime ago at least I received a letter from DC telling me that they will be dropping the EBG benefit from Premium card and we will need to earn EBG in the old fashion way.

Maybe too many EBG members in Finland through DC Premium. :D

TTL Nov 9, 2008 12:12 pm

I have not received such a communication yet. Let´s see if it comes along with the next card bill... I will let you know. Easy come easy go:rolleyes:

miikka Nov 9, 2008 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by TTL (Post 10695352)
I have not received such a communication yet. Let´s see if it comes along with the next card bill... I will let you know. Easy come easy go:rolleyes:

Maybe I was the only one getting that one, maybe they (SAS) don't like me. :D My letter was a separate letter (not with the card bill) from DC, signed by DC Marketing manager.

TTL Nov 10, 2008 2:42 am

I contacted DC FI and received a comment that the priviledge has been slightly reduced and it will last until the expiry date in the EBG card - i.e., 2 years from the start. After that, the level is adjusted according to the points collected. I suppose new card holders will still get the same benefit. At least it is worth asking for.