Warning: LH V books as SK U

Old Oct 7, 08, 4:41 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Travelling the skies over Europe
Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 1,819
Exclamation Warning: LH V books as SK U

All,

General warning. Just had a weekend trip booked in LH V class for all segments. 3 LH segments and one SK code-share. All points posted towards EB as I want to requalify for EBG.

Well... bad news... LH V actually books into SK U when the flight is on SK metal. So I got a whooping 385 points on a OSL-FRA flight. The LH FRA-ATH flights on the other hand gets me a solid 1000 points per segment...

Very very disappointing. Penalized for flying SK... should have stayed on LH metal. Or maybe just booked W and ditched EB alltogether. Will anyways be M&M soon.
larsll is offline  
Old Oct 7, 08, 5:55 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oslo, Norway
Programs: SAS EuroBonus, Marriott Rewards, SPG, Hilton Hhonors Gold
Posts: 24
Sadly a fact, but this isn't anything new anyways.
E.N. is offline  
Old Oct 8, 08, 1:24 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: HEL
Programs: TK Gold
Posts: 4,196
This is so silly. When will they start awarding points for marketing carrier? This is the one you give your money to... argh.
Gnopps is offline  
Old Oct 8, 08, 2:14 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Travelling the skies over Europe
Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 1,819
Originally Posted by Gnopps View Post
This is so silly. When will they start awarding points for marketing carrier? This is the one you give your money to... argh.
Overall it is a rather nasty scam as this information is not put anywhere. Not sure when this became the case, but I am rather sure that it used to be totally safe to book LH V, and I didn't find anything on FT (but naturally, searching on booking classes is not really easy).
larsll is offline  
Old Oct 8, 08, 4:42 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: EU
Programs: Many, most dormant...
Posts: 213
Originally Posted by larsll View Post
Overall it is a rather nasty scam as this information is not put anywhere. Not sure when this became the case, but I am rather sure that it used to be totally safe to book LH V, and I didn't find anything on FT (but naturally, searching on booking classes is not really easy).
Even when it is indicated that a flight is operated by another carrier, there are so many variations that predicting the earnings becomes pure guesswork.

I flew four segments on SK this week, the last being operated by LO in booking class Q (or was it H - anyway, 100% Eco), so both SK and LO flight numbers. I would have credited the flight to Eurobonus for 800+15% points whereas M&M would give me only 750. Then I realised that like with a similar KF flight operated by LO last week, I'd get only 600 points and no Silver bonus. I then ran to the check-in desk at CPH to change the FFP for the last leg to M&M...
GlobalSights is offline  
Old Oct 9, 08, 3:15 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DCA
Programs: SK*S OZ*G
Posts: 597
It's a sad state of affairs when this confusing system befuddles people like those on this forum, who are generally quite familiar with how FF systems work. It must be even worse for those who aren't experts. They should really clear this up, as it's definitely quite complicated and unclear for all.
jfidler is offline  
Old Oct 9, 08, 9:32 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Travelling the skies over Europe
Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 1,819
Originally Posted by jfidler View Post
It's a sad state of affairs when this confusing system befuddles people like those on this forum, who are generally quite familiar with how FF systems work. It must be even worse for those who aren't experts. They should really clear this up, as it's definitely quite complicated and unclear for all.
More than confusing I think it can be defined as undocumented. There is no documentation anywhere how booking classes map on code shares. So unless we on the Forum reverse engineer it is impossible to know in advance...
larsll is offline  
Old Oct 20, 08, 6:51 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Helsinki
Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Posts: 1,079
Let me get this straight? I now have booked 2 flights that are on OS metal but SK flight number. They are in Q and W. But these can translate to any booking class and possibly not award any miles at all? And no-one knows the logic behind how these translate? What an alliance...

Last edited by niksal; Oct 20, 08 at 6:57 am
niksal is offline  
Old Oct 20, 08, 9:54 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: EU & Asia and up in the air
Programs: TK*G, AY OWE, IHG Plat Amb, HH Gold, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 838
Actually I think it should be that miles should be awarded by operating carrier, however the class should remain the same as tkt-d. Eg. flight bought in LH V, op by SK, should be as SK V, LH S, op SK should be SK S for miles earning reasons. At least bmi DC does like this and it is in the rules. Sometimes indeed, to get it like this, one has to do retro-reg, as sometimes the mappings are U->W or whatever combinations, and thus has to claimed back later. I got for instance on SK flight, op by JK, booked in U, in the beginning W points, but then when I sent my ticket and showed that it was booked as U, then JK U points.
Fims is offline  
Old Oct 20, 08, 11:03 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Helsinki
Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Posts: 1,079
So if my SK W turns out to be for instance OS E (0 points) I can get my points via retro-registration? Sounds very odd...
niksal is offline  
Old Oct 20, 08, 2:54 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: ARN
Posts: 2,321
Originally Posted by Fims View Post
I got for instance on SK flight, op by JK, booked in U, in the beginning W points, but then when I sent my ticket and showed that it was booked as U, then JK U points.
The mapping of booking classes is something we will have to live with as each carrier have their needs, but it is extemely difficult to keep track of, even within the SK group. Example: I reserved a dirt chepat JK ticket online from the JK website. However I called SAS and asked them to ticket it as I couldnŽt use Diners on the JK website. Ticket was one of the lowest JK booking classes: S. On the SK issued e-ticket receipt it says "S Economy Extra".
SK_RSJ is offline  
Old Oct 20, 08, 6:23 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Umeć, Sweden
Programs: TK*G, SK*S, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 257
Originally Posted by niksal View Post
So if my SK W turns out to be for instance OS E (0 points) I can get my points via retro-registration? Sounds very odd...
With the standard Bangkok retro-registration I think you will not have much success. But I have from time to time been able to get some extra points from SAS Customer Service when I have sent them a letter explaining the situation and that there was absolutely no way for me as a customer to know what booking class I was buying into.
ErasmusEBS is offline  
Old Oct 21, 08, 12:17 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Vantaa, Finland
Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Posts: 1,658
Originally Posted by niksal View Post
So if my SK W turns out to be for instance OS E (0 points) I can get my points via retro-registration? Sounds very odd...
Yes, with DC you would. With Eurobonus, very slim chance.
FlyingFinn is offline  
Old Nov 7, 08, 1:43 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Helsinki
Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Posts: 1,079
I was booked in SK W and the OS boarding card showed class E. I emailed Eurobonus and asked if there is any point making a retro-claim, since the points have of course not shown up in my account. The answer was that since OS also has a booking class W, it will give me points according to W, i.e. 25%.
niksal is offline  
Old Nov 10, 08, 4:31 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Travelling the skies over Europe
Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 1,819
Originally Posted by niksal View Post
I was booked in SK W and the OS boarding card showed class E. I emailed Eurobonus and asked if there is any point making a retro-claim, since the points have of course not shown up in my account. The answer was that since OS also has a booking class W, it will give me points according to W, i.e. 25%.
Hmm... good point. I shall write to attempt the same. 385 vs. 1500 points... it is worth an e-mail.
larsll is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: