points for flight not taken

Old Aug 27, 08, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK *S, IC Plat, Hz 5*
points for flight not taken

This may be amoral and what not, but I have a non-refundable flight I'll not take in the near future. So if I check in for the flight and do not board, will I be abel to claim the points afterwards?

I paid a small fortune for the ticket, but unfortunately haven't got time for the trip.
Old Aug 27, 08, 9:21 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ebra View Post
This may be amoral and what not, but I have a non-refundable flight I'll not take in the near future. So if I check in for the flight and do not board, will I be abel to claim the points afterwards?

I paid a small fortune for the ticket, but unfortunately haven't got time for the trip.
Sorry, but you need to actually take the flight to get point credit
Old Aug 28, 08, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tommy777 View Post
Sorry, but you need to actually take the flight to get point credit

That's the rule, but I was wondering what would happen if I check in for the flight and send the boarding card slip to retroregistration afterwards? Do "they" check with the actual passenger lists for the flight, or do they just check if the ticket and the boarding card corresponds?

I know it's agains the rules, and usually I would go through hell or high water to take a flight I've paid for myself, but this time it is just not possible.
Old Aug 28, 08, 5:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Radisson Rewards Gold, Marriott Platinum
If you're SK *G and it really was expensive ticket, long-distance, I assume, maybe you can still talk SAS to change it?
Old Aug 28, 08, 6:32 am

Programs: EBG (*G), QR Gold
Don't forget, SAS allow name changes on tickets! (I think it was a service fee of 200 SEK). So you can always sell/give the ticket away so it is not entirely wasted.

21. Can I change name on the ticket?
Yes, you can change the name for a certain service fee at the latest 24 hours before departure. This can only be done if you have a leisure travel.
Old Aug 28, 08, 6:36 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Do "they" check with the actual passenger lists for the flight, or do they just check if the ticket and the boarding card corresponds?
Admittedly, I do not know, but I assume that EB Retro BKK will check their systems whether the coupon has been flown or not. I have had other issues with EB Retro where it was apparent that EB Retro thoroughly check whether or not you are entitled to the points - so don't get your hopes too high.

If you check-in and decide not to turn up for the flight, please let the gate or lounge know that you have changed your mind; otherwise a full flight might be waiting for you at the gate and you cause great inconvenience to other people.
Old Aug 28, 08, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
... If you check-in and decide not to turn up for the flight, please let the gate or lounge know that you have changed your mind; otherwise a full flight might be waiting for you at the gate and you cause great inconvenience to other people.
Yes, the whole inconvenience thing is actually my biggest worry. I'll try giving SAS a call and hear what they can do.

Thanks for the input, everybody.

Update: Just spoke with SAS. They will change the name on the SK operated CPH-ORD flight for 300 DKK. That will make the connection UA operated flight invalid, but the ORD-CPH segment could still be used. I guess I could send someone else to ORD ...

Last edited by ebra; Aug 28, 08 at 7:23 am
Old Aug 28, 08, 7:53 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Update: Just spoke with SAS. They will change the name on the SK operated CPH-ORD flight for 300 DKK. That will make the connection UA operated flight invalid, but the ORD-CPH segment could still be used. I guess I could send someone else to ORD ...
I'm going to ORD soon. I might be interested in helping you out if the price is right. You are welcome to PM if interested (Danish is read and spoken )

Last edited by SK AAR; Aug 28, 08 at 8:02 am Reason: bad spelling
Old Aug 28, 08, 8:39 am

Yes, the whole inconvenience thing is actually my biggest worry. I'll try giving SAS a call and hear what they can do.

Thanks for the input, everybody.

You might want to push on the UA segment; SK changed a ticket from one of my colleagues names to another one, and it was ARN-EWR-SFO (so included segments on UA)
Old Aug 28, 08, 9:26 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

When you don't show up for a flight, you will be unchecked from it and therefor will not receive points.

But I see a good solution has been found
Old Aug 29, 08, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
I'm going to ORD soon. I might be interested in helping you out ...

Thanks for the offer SK AAR, but I just gave the ticket to my young cousin who will see Chicago for the first time. And earn his first 9800 EB points ...
Old Aug 29, 08, 3:29 am

Glad you found a solution.

Search this Thread