Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

No PC power in all seats of first Econ Extra row

Old Aug 25, 08, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, IHG Spire Elite Royal Ambassador

Flew IAD-CPH on Saturday med SAS. I fly econ extra to use the PC power outlet, but even though SAS advertise it, there is not PC power in all seats. I was in 14B and there is not outlet due to the fold-away tv screens.

So, I tried it in 14A, but the outlet was broken. I then tried in 15A, but that too was broken.

So, as the flight was full and I was not allowed to have a power chord from 14C to my seat (over the aisle), I asked the chief purser if I could move to business. I had tried to upgrade with points at the desk but was told it was full). The purser told me that there were 2 seats in business, but they had no food. Fine by me I said, as I was not hungry. Sorry, can't do that was the reply even though 4 staff tried to get a pc outlet working but there was a fault on the left side of the plane which meant that the power turned off after 2 mins.

Has anyone else had this problem? I was upgraded to business on the way CPH-SEA, so I know that it is not my pc that has a problem.

So, as a warning, there is no power outlet in 14B, and as far as I know, nor is there one in 14 C/E/F. I have booked CPH-ORD in November and will now change my seat allocation.
Old Aug 25, 08, 3:56 am

Doesn´t all Y+ seats have shared power ports only? Or has it changed with the new seats?
I would send a complaint letter to CR, you will probably get a voucher of some kind, they typically does not compensate with miles/points.
As to the C upgrade it would indeed have been very surprising with a inflight upgrade due the lack of power port. Doesn´t happen really. And the shortage of food was probably the reason you could not upgrade in the first place which is by the book.
Old Aug 25, 08, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, IHG Spire Elite Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by SK_RSJ View Post
Doesn┤t all Y+ seats have shared power ports only? Or has it changed with the new seats?
I would send a complaint letter to CR, you will probably get a voucher of some kind, they typically does not compensate with miles/points.
As to the C upgrade it would indeed have been very surprising with a inflight upgrade due the lack of power port. Doesn┤t happen really. And the shortage of food was probably the reason you could not upgrade in the first place which is by the book.
They told me that it was only the first row that did not have power in all seats. Row 15+ don't have the problem, according to the FA.

I will send a letter. Is there a specific address or should I just send it to Eurbonus in Stockholm?

I didn't really expect an upgrade, just a seat that I could use my laptop. As econ extra was full and there were 2 seats in business, I thought that this would have been reasonable. Strange that I couldn't pay with points at the gate if there were seats available
Old Aug 25, 08, 7:19 am

No, this is not an issue for member service at all, send your compliant to CR. There is a online form on the home page.
Old Aug 25, 08, 1:18 pm
fcl

Programs: EBS
Even though this may not apply in your case: Could the reason for the fault being that someone (maybe you) tried to connect a too large (in Watt) power supply which overloads the curcuit and causes an automatic shutdown. I have had this problem with my Dell Latitude D820.

I think that one problem is charging the battery and running the computer at the same time. I am considering to bring an extra power supply with lower wattage on the next trip as my laptop will run and charge using this PSU but will display a message that it is running on reduced speed.
Old Aug 25, 08, 2:08 pm

Programs: EBG (*G), QR Gold
Originally Posted by fcl View Post
Even though this may not apply in your case: Could the reason for the fault being that someone (maybe you) tried to connect a too large (in Watt) power supply which overloads the curcuit and causes an automatic shutdown. I have had this problem with my Dell Latitude D820.

I think that one problem is charging the battery and running the computer at the same time. I am considering to bring an extra power supply with lower wattage on the next trip as my laptop will run and charge using this PSU but will display a message that it is running on reduced speed.
The usual solution for this would be to remove your battery while you are using the laptop. I seem to recall in-flight magazines on some carrier actually requesting you do this. Of course problem is if the power dies you loose whatever you were doing.
Old Aug 25, 08, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Ozziebob View Post
Has anyone else had this problem?
EWR-ARN on A330 once and all the G and H seats were without laptop-power. AVOD on 50% of theseats was living their own life. Some of the business-seats didn't work (move) at all, and C-class was fully booked so the F/As had to manually adjust the seats on request during the flight. Looks like SAS is unlucky with both seats, AVOD and power.

I just needed to sleep in Eco extra so no problem for me.
Old Aug 26, 08, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fcl View Post

Well, if this is the case (removing the battery), then the staff at SAS have no idea. The thing that peeved me off is that they advertise this as one of the main reasons for choosing econ extra over econ. The fact that only some seats have this should be stated.

I have travelled in SAS econ extra CPH-PEK before and had no problems. Also no problems with LX C class. I think that the problem lies with the plane's electrics.
Old Aug 27, 08, 1:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
For the A/B and G/H seats in row 14, the power outlet is by the window, not between the seats. For DEF, the outlets are between D/E or E/F (don't remember which one it is).
Old Aug 27, 08, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Vunder31 View Post
For the A/B and G/H seats in row 14, the power outlet is by the window, not between the seats. For DEF, the outlets are between D/E or E/F (don't remember which one it is).
I think that I must have been on a different aircraft. 14A had an outlet in the left armrest (although it didn't work), 14B had none. Even the chief purser said that there are none in 14B, and I presume 14G.
Old Aug 27, 08, 4:42 am

Programs: EBG (*G), QR Gold
Well, if this is the case (removing the battery), then the staff at SAS have no idea. The thing that peeved me off is that they advertise this as one of the main reasons for choosing econ extra over econ. The fact that only some seats have this should be stated.

I have travelled in SAS econ extra CPH-PEK before and had no problems. Also no problems with LX C class. I think that the problem lies with the plane's electrics.
Yeah, I did not mean that solution was specifically useful on SAS, in general its just a way to avoid the power supply sucking too much power and tripping the breaker.
Old Aug 27, 08, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kjsaw View Post
Yeah, I did not mean that solution was specifically useful on SAS, in general its just a way to avoid the power supply sucking too much power and tripping the breaker.
I have sent an email to CR at SAS, so we will see if they send a reply. I saw on their homepage that they write that all seats in econ extra have pc power outlets, not true on the plane I was on last week.
Old Aug 27, 08, 5:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
I think that I must have been on a different aircraft. 14A had an outlet in the left armrest (although it didn't work), 14B had none. Even the chief purser said that there are none in 14B, and I presume 14G.
The same configuration is used in every aircraft.
The passenger in 14B would have to stretch his/her cable across 14A's space, and the passenger in 14G would have to stretch the cable to the window side of 14H.
Old Aug 29, 08, 3:25 am
Original Poster

I got an answer back from SAS today. They are sending me a 500kr voucher for not being able to upgrade at the gate. They did not answer my questions on the outlets though, so I still have no idea if the FA's do not know where to look for the outlet, or if there is none.

Am going to ORD in November, so I will see then.
Old Sep 2, 08, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Looks like I got SAS to change thier homepage... under travel info/intercontinental/econonmy extra last week it stated "all seats have a pc power outlet". This week it says "seats have access to pc power outlet". I fell like I have acheived something!

Indeed, I got an email today from SAS CR saying that "every second seat has a power outlet, so it usually is not a problem".

So, if you need to use your pc in econ extra, make sure that you book a seat that has the connection. If you are travelling with a colleague and you both need to use the outlet, do no sit together.

Or just travel with LX and pay the same price for their J/C class instead, providing you book early...

Search this Thread