Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Why should we fly C/class in the Nordics? ( Y vs C)

Old Aug 16, 08, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EBG, UA, HHonors, SPG, IC

One question been on my mind for a while, I was wondering if I am the only one who find it rather silly, and a waste of company (in some cases my own) money to book and fly business class on Scandinavian?

Long-haul flights aside, I see the benefit there! But flying between the Nordic cities and some German ones I don't see any major difference other than the cost between an EconomyFlex and BusinessClass tix. Especially for those who are StarAlliance Gold card holders - which still gives you access to a lounge and fast track (E+ does that already). Hey the seat is the same, 1A or 7F don't make much of a difference.

So my fellow flyers what is your rationale here? How do you decide?

I assume many of you like me are decision makers, and in my case I am seriously considering implementing a policy that does not allow C tix when traveling between European cities or less than 5 hours. This could mean a substantial amount of savings on the companys travel budget. In this case im curious as to what guidelines or decisions you base your own Y vs C choice on...
Old Aug 16, 08, 5:35 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
It depends. I fly CPH ARN CPH for business, at business hours => only Y and C booking class available. Y costs 3400 DKK. C costs 3500 DKK (corporate rates) for a return trip. paying 50 DKK extra each way to get lounge access (I am not star gold), to get 300 points extra... but especially to change flight at any time (since these flights sometimes sold out in Y class but there are still a few C class tickets available), this is very good value, compared to the overall cost of the trip.

If on your flights you have almost always Y class seats available at any time and that the Y-C difference is high (let's say more than 20-30 EUR one way), i would think Y class has more value...
Old Aug 16, 08, 8:28 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
my company (based in MUC) mandates C for flights >4h unless they have a C deal (which we have to LON, PAR, ZRH and the like) and F or one day rest for flights >14h. In the US subsidiary its intercont C for a handful managers (including me ) and employees who have to fly on flights >10h (mostly TPAC).

C intra europe has the charm of flexibility. SK allows you to book the outbound where times are pretty much fixed in Y or M and the return where you may need flexibility in C. If you have ever missed a flight for whatever reason and paid an arm and a leg to get on the next flight or paid a rack rate airport hotel stay to fly home in the cheapo flight class the next morning at 6am you know what resentment this causes with employees. That cost is also usually higher than the fare difference Y-C
Old Aug 17, 08, 6:51 am

C-class ticket is the only way to get a fully flexible ticket intra Scandinavia. Has been covererad in a previous thread. But I have been in hte situation where a colleague in Y was waitlisted and I was cleared for the earlier flight as I had C. And this flight had something like C3 availability.
Old Aug 18, 08, 7:15 am

Programs: LH/OS SEN, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Le Club Plat, SPG Gold, BAEC Silver
C-class flights within Europe or even within one country are basically more flexible, that's the main advantage. Having some breakfast is a nice side effect when flying early in the morning. And full-fare (flexible) Y/B are often almost as or even more expensive than discounted C or company agreements (or is there such a big difference for you?). So I'd rather look for better company C fares if you are booking a lot of flights with SK.
Old Aug 18, 08, 7:25 am

Programs: Eurobonus (*G)
If there are some kinds of delays a business class ticket is a big advantage.

I would have been really pi**ed if my employer would put me in p-class or on a low cost carrier. OK if you can write hours for the flight, but not if I have to travel on my time off.
Old Aug 18, 08, 8:24 am

Programs: SK*G, SPG, BA-GGL,
Originally Posted by Chriscross View Post
If there are some kinds of delays a business class ticket is a big advantage.

I would have been really pi**ed if my employer would put me in p-class or on a low cost carrier. OK if you can write hours for the flight, but not if I have to travel on my time off.
Not to start a huge debate, but I would be pi**ed off if an employee refused to sit in Eco on a 1 hour flight. That is if the date and agenda is fixed.

I decide my own flight rules and I would not dream of charging the company for a C-ticket on a short flight. Flex is nice on short-haul if, say you don't know a 100% when your return is. Then I would book Eco out and Flex home. Long-haul is another matter ofcourse
Old Aug 18, 08, 10:18 am

Programs: Eurobonus (*G)
Originally Posted by Fnate View Post
Not to start a huge debate, but I would be pi**ed off if an employee refused to sit in Eco on a 1 hour flight. That is if the date and agenda is fixed.

I decide my own flight rules and I would not dream of charging the company for a C-ticket on a short flight. Flex is nice on short-haul if, say you don't know a 100% when your return is. Then I would book Eco out and Flex home. Long-haul is another matter ofcourse
OK, I agree for short flights and as long as the flight home is Flex, and the date and agenda is fixed. However I have spend 4 hours+ too many times in airports because things were delayed and my out-bound flight was fixed. It also depends how much the price difference is. If we are talking USD 500 I would of course take Eco, but not if the difference is more in the range of USD 30.

And as an EBG, having access to a lounge always help
Old Aug 18, 08, 10:36 am

Programs: SK*G, SPG, BA-GGL,
Originally Posted by Chriscross View Post
OK, I agree for short flights and as long as the flight home is Flex, and the date and agenda is fixed. However I have spend 4 hours+ too many times in airports because things were delayed and my out-bound flight was fixed. It also depends how much the price difference is. If we are talking USD 500 I would of course take Eco, but not if the difference is more in the range of USD 30.

And as an EBG, having access to a lounge always help
I totally agree with you!
Old Aug 18, 08, 5:06 pm

The OP was aking for the reason to buy C instead of Y intra Scandinavia. And as I see it these are the advantages of C (remember Y is more expensive than D on these routes):
-Business Lounge access if not *G.
-More points/miles
-Full flexibility, if there is a seat on the plane you will be confirmed in to it at any time.

There is no Business Class cabin so for onboard service it doesn´t matter at all obviously.

The new prices of SEK 5.600:- for a ARN-CPH return in C is getting a bit steep (understatement) but the IATA C is stilll slightly cheaper (SEK 4.950:-) if you can get an agent to ticket it for you.
Old Aug 20, 08, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EBG, UA, HHonors, SPG, IC
That is true, I have noticed a few times when booking myself that the difference is only about DKK 100 on most flights - still I dont book C, for short trips - I can't say to the people reporting to me that I rather not they do it, if I don't follow that advice myself.

I really appreciate the comment about corporate discount, I hope our new travel solution via American Express from Sep1 will give us access to better solutions.

Thanks for all your comments
Old Aug 20, 08, 5:51 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by S*Flyer View Post
I really appreciate the comment about corporate discount, I hope our new travel solution via American Express from Sep1 will give us access to better solutions.
Good luck!!! amex is my corporate TA and does not do anything else than charging fees for non-service. They of course follow the policy eco only.

Once i had to fly on short notice VIE FRA CPH with 3 days in FRA. I called, there was only C on that day for VIE FRA. They proposed me OS/SK for over 1000 EUR!!! I told them i wanted half of that. They told me to choose different flights. I told her to take these flights but FRA CPH with LH number. She booked it in Y. Still 1000 EUR. I told her to book it in C, she told me it was against travel policy and then miracle: normal LH C full fare one way for 500 EUR! I knew from the beginning after 5 minutes thinking what the right combination should be: LH ticket with stopover. They did not care and were about to book crap, and they did pocket a 500 DKK "service" fee! Regarding air travel procurement and agreements, they equally suck. The best way to reduce travel costs is to hire in house a competent TA, that knows the job, and that gets bonuses with high employees and management satisfaction rates. Normal outsourced TA has no incentive to perform and at they end they just don't care.

Search this Thread