Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Eurobonus: Our members will get on the First class but only Business meals on Asiana

Eurobonus: Our members will get on the First class but only Business meals on Asiana

Old Dec 2, 03, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Location: Denmark, SAS Gold, Lufthansa Senator (GOLD ), KLM Platinium

First Class service on Asiana Airlines

Asiana Airlines will suspend their First class service temporarily from December 1st, 2003 until January 31, 2004. Re-booking of bonus trips already booked in First class, will automatically be converted into Business class. Our members will get on the First class compartment but only Business class meals will be served.

Does anyone know why they close First class two months ???

[This message has been edited by The-Longhauler (edited Dec 02, 2003).]
Old Dec 2, 03, 8:57 pm

Very strange mail...

Does it apply to the whole OZ route network?
I have just checked with the Asiana site. Nothing was mentioned, but when I tried to book an imaginary first class trip, everything seems to book up in first class. I assume that OZ must be experiencing some problem with its first class caterers or is anticipating a new change to its product -- a merge between F and J class -- although I highly doubt so, you never know...

I also sent an email to OZ. If I heard anything, I will reply to this thread.

Carfield

[This message has been edited by Carfield (edited Dec 02, 2003).]
Old Dec 2, 03, 10:38 pm

Well just got an email back from a customer rep at HKG. I guess the news is not correct. OZ is still offering first class and I am not sure why SAS is sending out such news.

Thanks for your attention,
Carfield
Old Dec 3, 03, 9:47 am
Original Poster

SAS posts this on their webpage www.sas.se - eurobonus - eurobonus news ...

Asiana Airlines
Will suspend their First class service temporarily from December 1st, 2003, read more.

Strange - maybe SAS knows something the rest of the world incl. Asiana doesn't

[This message has been edited by The-Longhauler (edited Dec 03, 2003).]
Old Dec 3, 03, 7:31 pm

I also spoke to 2 OZ reps.

The first one said that this only applies to routes to the US LAX/JFK

The second said that it applies to all routes, your will get F seating, but only C service.

supposedly bookings for F were low and there was high demand for C.

I checked, and they are not selling any F seats systemwide through then end of Jan, so I assume that we will only get C meals.

I haven't found this mentioned anywhere on their website.

pretty lame imo....give out some op-ups to people paying C if necessary, rather than piss off some people who are booked in F (myself included)
Old Dec 5, 03, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
This is generally a slow business travel period and a high leisure travel one, so it is quite logical for OZ to dump F when it is not likely to sell during these two months. This way they can sell more C/J seating, which is cost effective for them, and for those buying the tickets. It also helps with pressure on the back cabin, which will quite likely on some flights be oversold with family visitors in both directions. I wouldn't be surprised if on some flights, C/J passengers will be booked into the F cabin [with Business catering, etc.], while full fare and other higher-yield economy passengers will end up in C/J seats, but service on those flights and in that cabin downgraded to Y standards.

Far better utilization of equipment and yields. Traffic is apparently very heavy across the Pacific to NAmerica this Christmas, and AC has added extra sections to it flights [i.e. additional aircraft] on some days.

Remember, there has been a slump in the Korean economy of late, so paid First demand by non-business execs is likely down to the point it doesn't make sense to sell this cabin through slow periods.

Just a common sense move by OZ.
Old Dec 6, 03, 1:10 am

However, it has been awfully strange that this news is not publicized at Asiana's website and the employees are not informed. This decision seems to be made within short notice and I think there must be a reason behind it.

In the opposite, I think there are some F markets in Asia. Asiana is pretty aggressive in selling discount F. I will be pretty unhappy if this happens in a short notice.

I guess there is no surprise if OZ will go to a two class airline soon! I will appreciate a deluxe business class.

Carfield
Old Dec 8, 03, 10:58 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Carfield:
However, it has been awfully strange that this news is not publicized at Asiana's website and the employees are not informed. </font>
Yes, that is extremely strange, and the fact they have found the time to inform SAS Eurobonus, Stockholm about this, as only airline is even more strange. How many first class asiana eurobonus bookings can there be in a given month ??

[This message has been edited by The-Longhauler (edited Dec 08, 2003).]
Old Jan 23, 04, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Eurobonus was right (partly) about this ..

Excalibur :

United international awards desk said I was still confirmed in F, so I figured this thread was a false alarm.
Then I arrived at the airport on 1/3, and the Asiana agent told me exactly what had been described in the thread. They said I would keep my seat in the F cabin, but receive a business class meal and service. They said that this had been the case for the entire month of December, and that my flight would be the last day this would be the case, with F returning the next day (awful timing!). They said United should have known. They stamped my ticket receipt to say that I had been involuntarily downgraded from F to C, and that I should contact United for compensation.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/000398.html

Search this Thread