Advice on trip ARN-LAS

Old Nov 12, 03, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Advice on trip ARN-LAS

I am considering going from Sweden to Las Vegas in January. I would leave on january 14th and return on the 18th. Main reason is to get a quick look at the city, but it would be nice if I could get as many EuroBonus points as possible in the process.

The SAS campaign fare for the trip ARN-ORD-LAS and returning the same way is SEK5238 (USD650). What I would like to know is if you have any comments or advise for this trip. It seems like most people here are much more experienced travelers than me, so I am willing to listen to any comments you may have.

Specifically, I wonder if this is a good deal? Also, does anyone have an estimate of the number of points this trip will give me? Is there a way to make this trip yield more points without increasing the cost too much? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Nov 13, 03, 12:35 am

Programs: AC Elite *G :: LH Sen *G :: IC Royal Amb :: PC Plat :: HH Diamond
KLM is offering ARN-AMS-LAS for 4290SEK incl tax. If you are going for the best price

Going ARN-ORD-LAS in coach with SK would give you 5800 EuroBonus miles one way.
Old Nov 13, 03, 1:52 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gustaf:
KLM is offering ARN-AMS-LAS for 4290SEK incl tax. If you are going for the best price

</font>
Thanks for the answer. Is that KLM price on the same dates as my price? When I do a search on the KLM site I get 5045SEK incl tax, so then the difference is not so great.
Old Nov 13, 03, 2:20 am

That price is from a travel agent using Amadeus (you should be able to get it by calling one in your area).
Departure period: September 27 thru march 26 2004.
Departure day: All.
Last return: March 30 2004.
Last day for booking: December 11.

[This message has been edited by Gustaf (edited Nov 13, 2003).]
Old Nov 13, 03, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Again, thanks for a very informational answer.
Old Nov 13, 03, 5:01 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gustaf:

</font>
ARN-ORD is 4900 EB points
ORD-LAS is 1600 EB points

Roundtrip total 13000EB which is enough for a free trip within Scanndinavia.

Old Nov 13, 03, 6:45 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kempis:
ARN-ORD is 4900 EB points
ORD-LAS is 1600 EB points

Roundtrip total 13000EB which is enough for a free trip within Scanndinavia.

</font>
Oh, sorry... I was quite sure ARN-ORD was 4280 miles or so.
Old Nov 13, 03, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Oh, sorry... I was quite sure ARN-ORD was 4280 miles or so.</font>
That's almost right, ARN-ORD if you credit to UA or LH is 4268 miles. However, EuroBonus points for intercontinental flights ex-ARN is the distance from CPH rounded up to the nearest 100, plus 600 (so it doesn't do you any good to add a connection in CPH, mileage is still the same). CPH-ORD is 4259 or so. Roundes up it's 4300 and then add adding 600 gives you the 4900.

------------------
The Star Alliance Award Comparison Chart
Old Nov 13, 03, 3:00 pm

So the only reason to go ARN-CPH-ORD instead of ARN-ORD would be one more status segment in AC

Thanks for making things clear!
Old Nov 14, 03, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Again, I have to say I am impressed by the excellent answers I have received here. I am new to this forum, but it is obvious that this is the perfect place for my enquiries.

It seems quite good that the points from ARN to USA are the same as ARN to CPH to USA, it makes it a good idea to take the direct route when available.

I am definetly going to try to make this trip to LAS, but at the moment it seems like january is not possible. I am likely to do three round trips to South Korea in late december and january, so february is the next goal.
Old Nov 17, 03, 11:37 am

Since OSL-EWR and ARN-EWR is the same amount of EB points you earn more if you fly ARN-OSL-EWR.
Old Nov 18, 03, 3:06 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
The fact that most (all?) destinations from ARN (and to a lesser extent OSL) yield 600 points more than from CPH works wonderfully for those of us who are based in Finland. If you fly SK, you'll need to connect anyway (unless you take the few available KF non-stops), so just make the connection in ARN instead of CPH to gain extra 600 points.

Pretty much all the fare rules ex-HEL allow connecting in either ARN or CPH (and often at both places, although that will bring up the taxes).

Too bad ARN is an inferior airport to CPH.

Search this Thread