Guam is in South-East Asia!?

Old Nov 4, 03, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Guam is in South-East Asia!?

I was browsing the EuroBonus award zone tables...

http://www.scandinavian.net/EC/Appl/...253DSG,00.html

...and noticed something rather strange: Guam, in the Northern Mariana Islands way east of the Philippines, is classified under "South-East Asia". This makes getting there much cheaper (pointwise) than flying to any other Pacific island, at only 30k from Singapore, although I believe the only *A options are ANA (via Japan) and Asiana (via Korea).

The other big CNMI island Saipan is not listed in the chart, but it's accessible via Asiana, almost certainly for the same points. Are there any other *A destinations in the area? Palau in particular has been on my to-do list for some time, but there doesn't seem to be any way of getting there on *A...

Old Nov 5, 03, 1:46 am

Programs: AC Elite *G :: LH Sen *G :: IC Royal Amb :: PC Plat :: HH Diamond
The shortest travel from SIN would be 14h 40min with SQ and NH, SIN-HKG-KIX-GUM. It is indeed strange that Guam is listed as South-East Asia.

From december 6 the newly started airline Palau Micronesia Air will operate between Guam, Saipan and Japan as well as some smaller islands like Yap, Chuuk and Pohnpei.
Old Nov 5, 03, 2:59 am
Original Poster

If going there as fast as possible, yes, but actual flight times for SIN-KIX and KIX-GUM are only 6:00 and 3:25 respectively. I like Osaka (speaking and eating Japanese helps...) so I'd be happy to spend a night in a 1600-yen capsule hotel.

Are there any other 'bang for your mile' trips on SAS? I believe the classic option for Europe is to head out to Longyearbyean (LYR) on the Svalbard Islands, the northernmost scheduled airport in the world way past the Arctic Circle, which is just 12000 points starting anywhere in Scandinavia -- although the trip usually involves connecting in both Oslo and Bergen and would normally cost you upwards of 1000 euros even in Y!

Not that Svalbard quite matches Guam if it's palm trees and girls in hula-hula skirts you're looking for... a friend of mine went there on his EB points and spent the week drinking (tax-free) vodka in an aluminum hut with Russian miners and keeping a wary eye out for polar bears.
Old Nov 5, 03, 3:14 am

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jpatokal:
I was browsing the EuroBonus award zone tables...

http://www.scandinavian.net/EC/Appl/Home/FrontDoor/0, 3479,SO%253D32220A643DD84ED2_BF9F84D28A316572%2526 MKT%253DSG,00.html

...and noticed something rather strange: Guam, in the Northern Mariana Islands way east of the Philippines, is classified under "South-East Asia". This makes getting there much cheaper (pointwise) than flying to any other Pacific island, at only 30k from Singapore, although I believe the only *A options are ANA (via Japan) and Asiana (via Korea).
</font>

No dice. If you have to transit another zone, in this case Central Asia & Far East Asia, then it costs more.

From the SAS web site:

"In some cases, there are no direct Star Alliance flights within a zone or between two zones, so you must transit in another zone, which could make the bonus trip more expensive."
Old Nov 5, 03, 8:11 am
Original Poster

"could make the trip more expensive"... but Japan's in the Far East box, which also costs 30k miles, same as South-East. (Unlike transiting via, say, Australia, which would of course push up the price to 70k.)

I think I'll have to write to Member Service and see what they think...
Old Nov 11, 03, 1:53 am
Original Poster

austman, I have the pleasure of telling you to roll your dice again, as Member Service just replied and said --

*** Yes it is 30,000 points(Economy) to Guam whereby Japan or Korean is ONLY
on transit.****

Guam here I come!
Old Nov 12, 03, 3:39 am

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jpatokal:
austman, I have the pleasure of telling you to roll your dice again, as Member Service just replied and said --

*** Yes it is 30,000 points(Economy) to Guam whereby Japan or Korean is ONLY
on transit.****

Guam here I come!
</font>
We are, kind of, both right.

From SAS:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">In some cases, there are no direct Star Alliance flights within a zone or between two zones, so you must transit in another zone, which could make the bonus trip more expensive.

Transfer may never be made in a zone more expensive than the destination zone.</font>
It just so happens, in this particular case, that Star awards within South East Asia (which includes Singapore and Guam) cost the same as awards between South East Asia (includes Singapore and Guam) and Central Asia & Far East Asia (Includes Japan and South Korea).

So the higher of the two applies. But in this case they are the same.

Let us know when you get the ticket!

Old Nov 12, 03, 4:44 am
AHO

I think Austman has right.
The award amount is same for both awards.

I do not think you can get EUROPE-xICN-KHV (Khabarovsk, Russia) as intra european award.
Old Nov 16, 03, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Originally Guam appeared as part of the South Pacifc grouping, which included Australia and New Zealand. However, the problem was that to get there from these two countries required transitting through SEAsia. And since the award level -- which varies depending upon which STAR partner program you are using [or travel within that region is 25/35/50 in Aeroplan] -- is so low, it was an amazing award if you wanted to luxuriate in J or F for significant lengths of time, even cheaper than flying between the two countries and your transit point in SEAsia.

Since no STAR carrier flies directly from the South Pacific to Guam, one must connect in SEAsia with a carrier that does to the island, which I believe is ANA and ASIANA.

Therefore, it makes sense to place it in that region from which you must transit to get there. But it still makes a great award based on time in the air to enjoy front cabin service. [Unfortunately, I am not sure any carrier offers First any longer.]

There were a couple of us who noticed this when the new STAR Award charts started coming out. One of us was able to actually book the space with UA's program, but then it was withdrawn by UA. AC would never confirm space, and within a couple of days, both STAR programs amended Guam to fall into SEAsia rather than SPacific.

Search this Thread