Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

BD *G / First flight on SAS Y : what to expect ?

Old Oct 14, 03, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Bonjour everyone, this is my first intrusion on SAS. As a BD *G member, what should I expect from SAS ? I tried to secure a seat on my flight (I'm doing cdg-cph-ewr and back via Oslo this month), but all I got for the transatlantic flight was row 35 / 39 aisle . Was told all exit rows were available to any passengers with or without status, and therefore, were all gone already.
Also, I assume one cannot reserve seat for the cdg-cph segment ?

By the way, I'm very surprised the way *A airlines cope with Gold status (I'm new to *A, just comped from BA). On OW (where I'm also Gold, but leaving the alliance since BA changed its FFP), any company I've been on has always been very keen on giving me exit rows etc (experienced on BA, CX, AA, QF) when travelling coach. It doesn't seem to be the case for *A ? Do they know on board that you are a *G for instance ? etc.

Which leads to the question, I've read about web check in on FT, but I haven't found it on SAS website ? = I don't have SAS eurobonus card, should I get one to be able to do web check in and then change my EB number to my BD number for miles accrual ?

Last but not least, I have read a few things on upgrades, do you think they can "easily" upgrade a BD *G at least to E+ ? Was told my flight was pretty full (Oct 22). Same question applies to European flights : easy to get UG or exit rows ?

Thanks for your help in making my first SAS fligth a nice one !
Old Oct 14, 03, 5:02 am

For CDG-CPH flight You'll probably get a MD-81 take the exit rows 21-22 good leg room, for the meal...U'll have a box with tiny cold cuts stuff unless you've planned to fly SK1568 ( then you'll get a breakfast box) prefer to get croissants at the lounge.

and welcome here, always a pleasure to see french people (MDR
Old Oct 14, 03, 9:36 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You can only webcheckin for flight ex scandinavia. Therefore this feature is not visible on the French site. To bypass this, do as follows:

go to www.sas.se

click on the item 'checkin' on the left

then on start

on the page that appears, click on 'Till check-in ' (last line on the page)

from there on everthing is english again.

You could also use the following link:

http://www.scandinavian.net/EC/Appl/...53DSE,00.html#

But this way you are not likely to secure a nice seat as web checkin only opens 22hrs before the flight departs. By that time all the good seats will have been blocked other people.

My suggestion would be to go to www.seatmap.com and look at the seatmap of the flight you want to take across the atlantic and locate a nice seat. (there are other nice seats beside exit rows IMHO) Then call up SAS and request that free seat you want. Bingo!

Regards Oliver

PS as *G you get any seat in your booked class as long as long as no one else has already taken it.
Old Oct 14, 03, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you (Merci !)

I checked seats that were available on internet ( one of the links offered on FT), and found out on Oct 22 cph-ewr seats 22 D and E were available ( I like front row seats as they offer more legroom). I called SAS straight away and they said they only had row 30-sth available, that I have "misinterpreted the seat map".
Any explanation ?

Also, while checking availability, it seems like all calss show "9" as availability, but I'm told all seats are almost taken ?...

Not very happy with my first SAS experience ...
Old Oct 17, 03, 10:31 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
I have to say, having travelled SK for the first time last month DUB-CPH-BKK that as a BD*G I was treated with absolute indifference.

I couldn't get the seats I requested (which turned out to be empty) and was lumped in a middle seat. I asked about an upgrade to E+ and was glared at. I asked about using miles and was given a very rude answer (which made me lodge a complaint - the first in 10 years of travelling).

Apart from this, the service on board was very nice, though leg room was an issue.

A large seatmap is available at http://ft.larvez.com
Old Oct 17, 03, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

I mooked on checkmytrip which seats were available, and there were 2 front row seats (row 22); I called SAS in Paris, they said I had "misinterpreted the seat map", and they wouldn't change my seating. So I called directly on SAS in Denmark and they secured it for me instantly . No comment .

Also, on the ticket it says "valid SK/LH/OS/UA NO CHNGE/NONREFUND", and it is a "w" class ticket. Does this mean I can fly on UA or LH etc ? what does it mean exactly ? If i'm in NY on the way back, can I just walk to UA and ask to change if schedule is better for me for instance ? thanks.
Old Oct 17, 03, 4:17 pm
Point_Chaser

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by france usa:
Also, on the ticket it says "valid SK/LH/OS/UA NO CHNGE/NONREFUND", and it is a "w" class ticket. Does this mean I can fly on UA or LH etc ? what does it mean exactly ? If i'm in NY on the way back, can I just walk to UA and ask to change if schedule is better for me for instance ? thanks. </font>
It means that the fare you have bought is valid on SK/LH/OS/UA flights when you book, i.e. you can select flights with these carriers. The NO CHNGE/NONREFUND means that it will not be possible for you to change your ticket.

Old Oct 17, 03, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Does this mean that for the same fare I could've simply asked the SAS agent to book me on UA on the way back ? is this too late to change now that the ticket is issued ? I wish I 'd known this before ! THe schedule on SAS is quite bad + I could've had better seating in UA coach ...
Old Oct 17, 03, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

...and, is it worth trying to call UA in the US and ask them to take me on their flight for the same day ?
Old Oct 17, 03, 4:25 pm

Programs: AC Elite *G :: LH Sen *G :: IC Royal Amb :: PC Plat :: HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by france usa:
Does this mean that for the same fare I could've simply asked the SAS agent to book me on UA on the way back ? is this too late to change now that the ticket is issued ? I wish I 'd known this before ! THe schedule on SAS is quite bad + I could've had better seating in UA coach ...</font>
Correct, the only part of the fare that could be differnt would have been service and tax fees.
It is not possible to change your ticket when its issued without paying extra penalty fees (not even sure that works).
Old Oct 17, 03, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

It's a great thing though - I only wih they'd told me before. Well, i'll try to ask when I'm in NY, you never know !
Old Oct 21, 03, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Oliver = I tried to make the internet booking but the booking engine wouldn't recognise my ticket number ( and I tried everything, even with space between the numbers). It says 'passenger not found". I guess it's because my ticket starts in CDG ?
Old Oct 21, 03, 2:06 am

Or the flight is overbooked and they have closed the web checkin... or the flight to the US have been taken out for some reason... anything is possible... call +46 8 797 5270 and ask them why it is not working.

Regards Oliver
Old Oct 21, 03, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Olivier,
I called, and they said I could only check in for EUROPEAN flights ex Scandinavia, not US flights ex scandinavia ? ...have you ever tried booking flights outside Europe ?
Old Oct 21, 03, 8:33 am

Hmm... I have flown SK outside EU only a few times and checked in normally since I had luggage and good seats prebooked. I guess I assumed SK webcheckin works for all flights ex-scandinavia. Now we know... my apologies!

Regards Oliver

Search this Thread