Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Question about a first time SAS upcoming flight

Old Jun 29, 08, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *Gold

Hello Everyone!
I live in Canada and don't visit Europe often. I used my Air Canada aeroplan miles to book an upcoming flight and the flight is on SAS.

Flight details are:

October 13th

ABZ-CPH
SK 1522
CRJ
Business Class

CPH-CDG
SK 1563
MD 80
Business Class.

Some questions I have about this upcoming flight:

What is the business class like on the CRJ and the MD 80. I've never even stepped into an MD-80 before!!
What is the seat pitch? width? etc. Is it similair to most domestic USA flights ( Eg. United from BOS-SFO, IAD, ORD,etc?)

Will I get a warm meal on both flights?

Is there a lounge in ABZ?

And finally, I have 1hr to connect in CPH. Is this enough time? Do I have to switch to a transborder area?

Any feedback you may have would be greatly apprecaited,

Thank You.
Old Jun 30, 08, 2:35 am

Programs: SK*G, FBS, FB Petroleum Club, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Platinum
Abz / Cph

You can use the Servisair lounge in Aberdeen. It is quite small, but still OK, I guess.

Copenhagen is one of the better airports I visit and one hour should be plenty of transfer time.

I would expect you to get "business treatment" at least on the MD80 flight. I quite like the MD80s-with the engines mounted in the back, sitting in the front is a very quiet experience.
Old Jun 30, 08, 2:52 am

Programs: EBD
Originally Posted by pilotboy1985YYC View Post
CPH-CDG
SK 1563
MD 80
Business Class.
The MD80 has a 2 + 3 seat layout. Make sure that you get a seat D or F as the middle seat (E) is blocked on business class. I doubt that you get a warm meal, but you do get champagne.
Old Jun 30, 08, 4:49 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
What is the business class like on the CRJ and the MD 80. I've never even stepped into an MD-80 before!!
What is the seat pitch? width? etc. Is it similair to most domestic USA flights ( Eg. United from BOS-SFO, IAD, ORD,etc?)
In contrast to the US the seats in business class are exactly the same as in economy class. This means they can move the divider between the classes depending on demand.

On the MD80's SAS has a 2-3 configuration but in business class the middle seats are blocked, so as previously mentioned it's worth going for a D-seat (aisle) or an F-seat (window).

Will I get a warm meal on both flights?
On the CPH-CDG flight you should get a proper warm meal, not sure about the ABZ-CPH flight since it's on a regional jet.
Free drinks on both flights though including champagne.

And finally, I have 1hr to connect in CPH. Is this enough time? Do I have to switch to a transborder area?
No problems at all, you will even have time for a lounge visit. You need to pass passport control though to get from the non-Schengen area to the Schengen area, but it's very quick (and afterwards you'll find the SAS lounge very conveniently right in fromt of you).
Old Jun 30, 08, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *Gold
Originally Posted by jacob_m View Post
In contrast to the US the seats in business class are exactly the same as in economy class. This means they can move the divider between the classes depending on demand.

On the MD80's SAS has a 2-3 configuration but in business class the middle seats are blocked, so as previously mentioned it's worth going for a D-seat (aisle) or an F-seat (window).
So, when you say the Business class seats are exactly the same as in Economy Class, you mean I won't get any extra leg room? It'll be just like if im sitting in Economy?
That doesn't seem fair.
Old Jul 1, 08, 12:18 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
So, when you say the Business class seats are exactly the same as in Economy Class, you mean I won't get any extra leg room? It'll be just like if im sitting in Economy?
That doesn't seem fair.
it is fair in Europe, SAS will block the middle seat which is quite nice, KLM does not. However, how fair is that to get in US First class the same kind of food/drinks service as on a normal European Y class carrier? (this does not apply to SAS, of course!) or that you don't get lounge access in the US even in paid first for a 4 hours long trip? Different countries, different concepts of "fairness"
Old Jul 1, 08, 2:55 am

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
That doesn't seem fair.
Generally the legroom is adjusted on the 6 first rows or so to be more comfortable than in the back, so have yourself assigned a seat in front of that. (Some "domestic" aircraft may not have this configurationn, similarily wetlease aircraft may not have it.)
Old Jul 1, 08, 3:59 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Originally Posted by ranskis View Post
However, how fair is that to get in US First class the same kind of food/drinks service as on a normal European Y class carrier? (this does not apply to SAS, of course!) or that you don't get lounge access in the US even in paid first for a 4 hours long trip?
The OP seems to be based in Canada where you actually do get lounge access on a business class ticket.

But still, service-wise, food-wise and drink-wise European business class is way way better than anything available in North America.
Old Jul 1, 08, 11:24 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Gold, QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by ranskis View Post
it is fair in Europe, SAS will block the middle seat which is quite nice, KLM does not. However, how fair is that to get in US First class the same kind of food/drinks service as on a normal European Y class carrier? (this does not apply to SAS, of course!) or that you don't get lounge access in the US even in paid first for a 4 hours long trip? Different countries, different concepts of "fairness"
Well said. I agree completely.
Old Jul 1, 08, 1:39 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

That doesn't seem fair.
The legroom in the first 5 rows is a lot better than Economy, make sure you are seated in the first five rows. The middle seat is blocked on the 3 seater. On the MD my favourite is the D seat.

Even if you don't get the big, fat US style F seats, it's quite comfortable. The service, food and drinks is way on SAS compared to the US, including Champagne

Last edited by tommy777; Jul 1, 08 at 2:47 pm

Search this Thread