FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   New upgrading rules and points needed from Asia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/83984-new-upgrading-rules-points-needed-asia.html)

Austman Dec 2, 2002 9:06 pm

New upgrading rules and points needed from Asia

Sort of extracted from SAS's SIN website:-

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">With immediate effect, EuroBonus members can upgrade with points when departing from Singapore, Bangkok, Beijing and Tokyo.

Points are deducted only when the upgrade is possible.

Upgrading with points is only applicable for fare paying passengers.

From Asia to Europe:
15,000 points from Economy to Economy Extra class.
15,000 points from Economy Extra class to Business class

Between SIN and BKK:
5,000 points between all classes </font>

Austman Dec 2, 2002 9:09 pm

Questions:

Will the upgrade levels apply for Europe to Asia also?

Does this mean that to upgrade between SIN and BKK it will now cost 10,000 points (up from 5,000) between standard economy and business class?

Is a similar deal going to happen with USA routes?

Point_Chaser Dec 3, 2002 6:15 am

[REMOVED]

Sorry, I didn't think clearly, so I wrote without thinking, or rather, I wrote first and thought after. So I don't think I need to worry that much after all. The only disadvantage is the increase in SIN-BKK, but otherwise it's quite a good idea with half the points needed to upgrade from Economy Extra.

I guess we'll see this soon on Transatlantic trips as well!

[This message has been edited by Point_Chaser (edited 12-03-2002).]

Austman Dec 3, 2002 7:01 pm

Yes, it's finally a recongnition for Economy Extra passengers that it was poor value to have to spend 30,000 EB points to upgrade to Business. I've been in this position so I know the feeling!

Hopefully it's still 5,000 EB points to upgrade between BKK and SIN to Business from either Economy or Economy Extra. The clarity of the wording on SAS's SIN site leaves a lot to be desired.

Now all we need is an announcement that it will be 10,000 EB points to upgrade Y to Y+ or Y+ to J on North American routes!

gnaget Dec 4, 2002 7:11 am

Surely it should be the fare basis. I.e. full Y to business, especially on the 767 routes where there is no Y+.

UA and US used to charge 10K miles for Y/B fares and 20k miles for lower fares. UA went up to 15/30 and US is going to 10/30 starting 1/1/03.

Actually, it is very generous of SK to allow upgrades from any economy fare class.

Norway_Asia Dec 4, 2002 8:38 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Austman:
Now all we need is an announcement that it will be 10,000 EB points to upgrade Y to Y+ or Y+ to J on North American routes! </font>
A friend of me, travelled CPH-EWR last weekend, and paid 20K for upgrade from Eco to Business and 10K on the return for upgrade from Eco to Eco+ (By the way - he is also EBG)

Austman Dec 4, 2002 6:59 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gnaget:
Surely it should be the fare basis.</font>
No, it's always been on ticket class. One of the good things about EuroBonus.

Austman Dec 4, 2002 7:00 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Norway_Asia:
A friend of me, travelled CPH-EWR last weekend, and paid 20K for upgrade from Eco to Business and 10K on the return for upgrade from Eco to Eco+ (By the way - he is also EBG)
</font>
Excellent news!

kempis Dec 5, 2002 5:13 am

I just got the latest issue of the SAS News and it still says 5000 to upgrade between BKK-SIN.

It doesnt say anything about upgrade to Y+ or between Y+-C, not sure though when the printdate of this issue was.

nwsin Jan 14, 2003 10:32 am

Thinking of switching from LX to EB due to very frequent BKK - SIN trips.

Can you tell me what is it like on the EB side of things?

Also, is it 5000 EB to upgrade from Y to C or Y to Yplus

Austman May 16, 2003 8:24 am

I can't find the information about upgrades to and from E-extra on SAS's website any more. It was on the SIN website before.

Have they pulled this benefit?

Does anyone know or has anyone used it recently?

softis May 16, 2003 12:51 pm

The e+ and e+ to C has never been official, just campaigns from different markets. I think it will be a final decision in the future..

Austman May 17, 2003 10:41 am

I can report that the upgrades to/from Economy extra for 15,000 points is alive and well at BKK airport.

What a pity the SAS website does not show this information.

Also the 'new' SAS business class lounge at BKK is really the 'old' EBG Scandinavian lounge minus two desks. In place of the two desks are 6 extra seats and 2 drinks tables.

kempis May 17, 2003 11:49 am

Great news Austman but its strange that they did remove that information from the webpage.

Can we expect a trip report later on?

Austman May 17, 2003 11:01 pm

At CPH now. The BKK-CPH flight was fine. I upgraded to business class for 15,000 (from my E-extra ticket).

It's the first time I've seen business class very empty.

The on board service was particularly nice. The meal is served pretty well 'all at once' beacuse of the after midnight departure time.

The negative was the check-in process and the upgrade process. The BKK check-in staff are very robotic and totally inflexible. I had 30,000 in upgrade coupons (6 coupons) but 4 of these had recently expired. They refused point blank to take them and claim they had no descretion in the matter. I pointed out that the reason I have some older coupons was because they (at BKK) got my last upgrade wrong - they 'forgot' to upgrade me at the gate and collect the certs. So I was left with some older ones and had to travel in 767 Y class as well. They were apologetic at the time but nothing could be done (as usual at BKK).

I really hate the whole ugrade process:- coupons that expire 5 times faster than your points, misleading or missing information about points required, different processes at different airports etc. It's a mess and it's really about time EuroBonus changed the whole method.

The good things about the paper coupons are that they can extend expiring points by one year (if it's upgrades you want) and that you can sometimes wait to see if you get an operation upgrade before having to hand them over.

But overall IMHO the upgrade process sucks.