How many EBG/EBS are there?

Old Jun 24, 08, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Various
How many EBG/EBS are there?

Something I have thought about and remembered when I read the thread about the passenger numbers for May.

I have read that Eurobonus has more than 2 million members but how many Basic members? And how many of the others are Silver and Gold?

Even more interesting is how many on a random flight are EBG/EBS/EBB/no program at all. Would some routes have more elite flyers?
Old Jun 24, 08, 6:07 pm

Programs: EB*G, BD*G, HH Silver, FB, AA, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by Fredrik74 View Post
Would some routes have more elite flyers?
High-yield business routes usually have a larger presence of elite flyers.

I don't remember the figures ecectly, but AFAIK something between 1% and 1,5% are EGB and around 6% are EBS
Old Jun 25, 08, 2:56 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
I think the exact number of EBG/EBS have been posted here before.
But generally I think what Someone83 posted is correct.

Even more interesting is how many on a random flight are EBG/EBS/EBB/no program at all. Would some routes have more elite flyers?
The number of status passengers definitely depends on the route and the time of week/day.

Some business routes will definitely attract more status passengers like ARN/CPH/OSL-London where a fairly large number of passengers onboard can be EBGs on morning or late afternoon weekday flight.

You can see the number of status passengers onboard by looking at the passenger manifest which has a special section for status passengers.
Of course this list is nothing passengers are supposed to see, but sometimes the FAs leave it unattended in the galley and you can catch a glimpse while waiting for the lavatory for example.
Old Jun 25, 08, 5:05 am

Programs: EBG, Marriot Silver
Some business routes will definitely attract more status passengers like ARN/CPH/OSL-London where a fairly large number of passengers onboard can be EBGs on morning or late afternoon weekday flight.

You can see the number of status passengers onboard by looking at the passenger manifest which has a special section for status passengers.
Of course this list is nothing passengers are supposed to see, but sometimes the FAs leave it unattended in the galley and you can catch a glimpse while waiting for the lavatory for example.[/QUOTE]

Thats true! On monday morning OSL-LHR I glimpsed at the maifest and I think it was about 12 EBGs
Old Jun 25, 08, 5:23 am

Typcially morning departure ARN-GOT would random about 40-50 EBGs, maybe 10 EBS and a few LH*G.
ARN-VXO maybe has 3 EBG and 1 EBS.
That´s how it goes.
Old Jun 25, 08, 9:06 am
Original Poster

That's an interesting thing (to me). It's obvious then that elite status would be worth a lot less on some routes when it's not really elite to be one of 40 EBG on the flight.

Another thing I think about is that these 1 to 1.5 % that are EBG travel a lot more than the average leisure traveller who may travel once or twice a year. I suppose EBG and other Golds make up much more than 1.5% of the total passenger number for SAS and other carriers.
Old Jun 25, 08, 10:07 am

...I suppose EBG and other Golds make up much more than 1.5% of the total passenger number for SAS and other carriers.
Obviously. I don´t see any difference being on a elite-packed flight as opposed to a leisure flight as on board staff doesn´t care anyhows.

Main difference is that boarding and de-boarding is quicker with frequent flyers even if there is a lot of carry ons coming with this pax group.
Old Jun 25, 08, 11:14 am
Original Poster

What I'm thinking about now is about recognition. If elites may be nearly half the passenger number on some flights and quite a few on others then maybe onboard staff don't see them as important. At least not more than any passenger. I think that travellers may expect to be seen as one of a select few but instead they are part of a group that constitute maybe 20% of all passengers.
Old Jun 25, 08, 11:19 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo,SPG Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum (IEC&FI)
Recognition is quite bad with SAS. Either it is because SAS doesn't put much effort on that or there are clearly too many EBGs. Maybe they should raise the limit for EBG?
Old Jun 25, 08, 1:26 pm

For certain one class routes, such as GOT-ARN mentioned above, the front of the plane is almost 100% EBG all the time with the exception of mid day flights when the first rows are empty as section one is open only to EBG and full fare c-class pax.
I would actually say it would make sense to extend this practice to all M-class cabins such that the first X rows of M was available for EBG only on all flights. Clearly it can be managed by the SK check in system.
Old Jun 26, 08, 12:15 am

Programs: TK Gold
Having elite-heavy flights goes for all airlines. I counted 8 HONs and more SEN & *G than I can remember on a LH flight MUC-FRA.
Old Jun 26, 08, 8:17 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

The official numbers

EBG - ca 75.000
EBS - ca 180.000
EBB - 2.2 mill
Old Jun 26, 08, 9:03 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo,SPG Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum (IEC&FI)
3% of the members are EBGs and they cannot do anything better than today regarding them? Anyone know how this compares to other airlines, does BA have similar percentage of members at the same level?
Old Jun 26, 08, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Interesting.

I don't know how many flights one take in average as a EBG but if it is 100 then EBGs account for 7.5 million of SAS 40 million passengers in a year.

These travellers should be very important to SAS.
Old Jun 26, 08, 9:38 am

Programs: SK *S, IC Plat, Hz 5*
I don't know how many flights one take in average as a EBG but if it is 100 then EBGs account for 7.5 million of SAS 40 million passengers in a year.
I doubt it is 100 flight on avarage. I flew 18 times with SK last year out of a total of 38 flights (on *A) and easily requalified.

Cheers

Search this Thread