Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Ryanair offers 98 % discount on SAS rates this week..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2003, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Location: Denmark, SAS Gold, Lufthansa Senator (GOLD ), KLM Platinium

Ryanair launch a campaign against SAS (and other european airlines ) with examples of SAS's "low" rates. In the danish advertisments they offer Frankfurt from MMA for 99,- DKK incl taxes and they claims SAS rate to be 8600,- DKK incl tax. They have found this rate on worldspan.
Can be booked untill 22MAY....
Old May 20, 2003, 1:36 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by The-Longhauler:
Ryanair launch a campaign against SAS (and other european airlines ) with examples of SAS's "low" rates. In the danish advertisments they offer Frankfurt from MMA for 99,- DKK incl taxes and they claims SAS rate to be 8600,- DKK incl tax. They have found this rate on worldspan.
Can be booked untill 22MAY....
</font>
A pretty good deal...however, this is not the main Frankfurt airport (FRA) is it? If it's the one 120km outside Frankfurt it's eminently inconvenient for anyone transiting or going to Frankfurt city center. So the comparison is not entirely fair.
Old May 20, 2003, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
Their bookings are dismal - lots of 'free' flights and others at Ł0.99 + taxes and charges on their website - so nothing about their desparate efforts surprises me.

As Hodja points out - and he is being very polite! - they don't fly to Frankfurt but to Hahn, nor do they fly to Brussels, Oslo, Hamburg or even what most of us understand by 'Stockholm'.

Also, Hodja, you may be amused to learn that LiarAir used Copenhagen as one of their destinations from the UK - not only the wrong airport (not CPH but MMA) but also the wrong country.

Just don't believe that FR compete with SK - it's not true, whatever they claim.
Old May 20, 2003, 2:57 pm
Point_Chaser

I'm getting really frustrated with Ryanair advertising now...
They shouldn't compare apples to oranges, especially when you have to wait for the apple for a couple of more hours than the orange!

SAS have cheap return tickets, not one way tickets which the comparison is based on!
Also, why do they use the worldspan prices?! Are they using worldspan prices for Ryanair? No, because their fares are only available on their web-site! So use SAS website where prices are cheaper (if we're looking at return travel which should be appropriate in the matter).

And as a last note... I saw their add in todays SvD in Sweden, and it also said "Save AT LEAST" 98%... Bring up a calculator and check the prices... Not true... Not far away, but it's definitely not true (More like approx 96%...)! And I guess that's the only thing they could get fined on in these lying advertisements!

Old May 21, 2003, 3:07 am

Programs: AC Elite *G :: LH Sen *G :: IC Royal Amb :: PC Plat :: HH Diamond
Time to call Sverker Olofsson? He is very into false advertising

Gustaf
Old May 21, 2003, 3:46 am

Yes now Ryanair is going to far, the price they used STO-PAR with SAS is 7780:- SEK and SAS offers STO-PAR for 1195:- SEK on the web so Ryanair only makes you laugh at it...one more reason for me not to even try Ryanair.

Almost all the prices they have used are IATA-prices so it has really nothing to do with SK-prices. STO-TMP with SK has a lowest price of 1750:- SEK and even lower on the web so the prices they got are not SK-prices..they are IATA-prices that can be applicable on any carrier.

Also it is no indication on RY that onr has to pay taxes and other fee:s onto their price in the advert.

RY already has a case in the market-court that is not finished and tis will ofcourse be another that SAS will file, on good grounds.

Shame on RY!!!

[This message has been edited by softis (edited 05-21-2003).]
Old May 21, 2003, 10:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Ryanair only sells 6,3% of the seat at the low prices they advertise with. Thats about 8 seats a flight. Chances are pretty bad you can catch such a seat.

Regards Oliver
Old May 21, 2003, 12:09 pm
Point_Chaser

An interesting site is skyscanner where you can view the currently cheapest fares on all Ryanair and EasyJet destinations...
Not a lot of cheap tickets left this summer on Ryanair I must say... But you can still pick up quite a few cheap tickets from SAS!

Anyways... I thought somebody might be interested in this tool:
www.skyscanner.net

Old May 21, 2003, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Location: Denmark, SAS Gold, Lufthansa Senator (GOLD ), KLM Platinium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Point_Chaser:

Anyways... I thought somebody might be interested in this tool:
www.skyscanner.net
</font>
Thank you Point_Chaser Very useful tool ..

Old May 22, 2003, 2:18 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by softis:

RY already has a case in the market-court that is not finished and tis will ofcourse be another that SAS will file, on good grounds.
</font>
SAS has filed this to the market court in Sweden saying that prices can't be compared like that.
I've never flown RY and after this I certanly will not even consider doing that. GO SAS!

[This message has been edited by PappaG (edited 05-22-2003).]
Old May 23, 2003, 2:04 am

Programs: EY Plat, IHG Plat Amb
A lawsuit; that is precisely what Ryanair wants. More free advertising!

Why make so much fuss over it. They offer a product. It is different and those customers who dont mind Hahn will take Ryan.

It is most certainly cheaper, which ever way you want to look at it.

If you (or your employer) dont mind to pay, take SK direct to FRA (which is actually also quite far from town).
Old May 23, 2003, 3:19 am

Ofcourse I always make a discussion about when companies do their marketing based on false information.

It is a different product that may be ok for some customers but it is never okay to print false information.

Ryanair is so desperate so they need to press down others to get what they want, they cant do it with their own product...and it really stinks!
Old May 23, 2003, 3:41 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Softis, while I agree with you in all counts, technically speaking FR hasn't printed any false information. The IATA fares they have quoted are still official, published fares that can be used to purchase a ticket from SK. And I'm pretty sure that these fares exclude all taxes and fees just like the prices FR advertises.

So technically speaking, they are offering a whopping 98% discount over SK's fares. It's just that these fares aren't the cheapest one can buy from SK. If this will ever get to the courtroom, the FR lawyers will be more than happy to provide this same reasoning.

The advertising game is a dirty one.

Old May 23, 2003, 6:06 am
Point_Chaser

Yes, Ryanair is probably one of the worst in the advertising business, and although they are often on the border to false information, it most often does not cross that line! It is ALWAYS misleading information though! And this is where SAS have a case, as the advertisements are misleading customers... (Bearing in mind though that this time there was actual false information as it says that they are at least 98% cheaper than SAS, which the fares they are displaying are not. They are "only" 96% cheaper! )

But I think that LH has won cases in Germany regarding their misleading ads, and I guess SAS will win in Sweden as well! And I think it is important as well for SAS to get this free publicity to show that the ads are not true, as people actually think SAS is a lot more expensive, and not that many know of the really low fares on the SAS homepage..!

Old May 24, 2003, 6:32 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
The consumer-rights chief in Sweden wants the market court to forbid Ryanair from using adverts where prices are compared to SAS immidiately! This because Ryanair probably otherwise won't stop until this case has been settled in court.
Read more (in Swedish):
http://www.sr.se/sormland/nyheter/ar...artikel=236451

[This message has been edited by PappaG (edited 05-24-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.