SAS Dash Q-8 vs A319 etc.

Old Jun 2, 03, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBG, LH SEN.
SAS Dash Q-8 vs A319 etc.

Seems like SK is adding more and more DH-8 planes into different european routes, I can live with them on the short routes, f.e CPH-HAM, or CPH-GOT, but when flight time exceeds one hour, I must say I do not like these planes. Flex C CPH-HEL, unfortunately with SK, stupidly not booking AY flight 40 minutes later with A319. The DH-8 do have ok seats, but it is not very quite in the cabin, c-service not much to mention. Then I flew back on AY this morning to STO, with one of their new airbuses, what a difference, superb service, quite and large cabin. I know it is not fair to compare those planes. But can´t really understand, especially why I should choose SK instead of AY if there is an option, of course SK do offer several mire fligts a day both from/to ARN & CPH from HEL...However I am pretty sure I´ll prefer AY in future.!
Old Jun 3, 03, 12:18 am

I actually like those DASH-8s quite a lot. The leg room is very generous on them. Take-off and landing are quite exciting since you can feel the power of the plane and observe the tires hitting the tarmac from certain seats.

There isn't much difference between SK and AY service, except maybe somewhat to SK's advantage, in my opinion.
Old Jun 3, 03, 12:54 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Ditto with my ORD-prefixed namesake , if you have to stick to a turboprop, then the Dash-8 is as good as it gets. I find the noise level extremely bearable, even for flights around 2 hours.

Last time I was on a Dash was ARN-HEL, op-upped to C and the service for such a short hop couldn't have been better. Compare this with the extremely crappy and rude service that one gets on AY (Ok, this only stands for Finns, speak English/Swedish/whatever and you'll be treated miles better),and I was very happy.
Old Jun 3, 03, 11:48 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyingFinn:
Ditto with my ORD-prefixed namesake , if you have to stick to a turboprop, then the Dash-8 is as good as it gets.
</font>
Not only that... I'd take a SK Dash-8 over a UX CRJ, which I too often have to fly here in the Midwest, anytime hands down.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
I find the noise level extremely bearable, even for flights around 2 hours.</font>
It is quite alright. An iPod and noise cancelling headphones help nicely too

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Compare this with the extremely crappy and rude service that one gets on AY (Ok, this only stands for Finns, speak English/Swedish/whatever and you'll be treated miles better),and I was very happy.</font>
I have noticed this too that on AY you often get better service by pretending to be a foreigner. But on the short hops intra-Scandinavia/Europe and so, who really cares about in-flight service? I usually have my coffee and snack in the lounge before the flight and decline all the in-flight offerings focusing on reading or sleeping on the plane. For me it is more important that the airport services run smoothly and quickly -- SK is almost always pretty good at this. AY is usually good too, but I do have some really annoying experiences with them (part of the reason why I moved to SK years back, still living in Finland).
Old Jun 3, 03, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, the SK Dash 8 is quite nice. For Swedish domestic it's much better than the 737s with tight pitch. The US Dash 8 experience is not very nice.

I am surprised that AY is rude to their own people. Strange.... I figured the opposite -- that they would give Swedes, for example, a hard time.
Old Jun 4, 03, 1:41 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Yeah, that (the AY behaviour) is quite weird, but that's the way it seems to be. Granted, I've had my fair share of excellent AY-crews with good service and smiles, but for every nice person there seem to be two sour apples. I switched my flying over to SK (and to a lesser extent, other Star carriers) last autumn, and haven't really looked back. The prices are often much lower than with AY (and given that you'll have to connect in ARN and/or CPH, you are getting more flights for your money ), you still earn decent flight mileage (discount Eco in AY with Finnair Plus == 50% mileage yield) plus the crews are always friendly enough. Service has gone down in recent months, but that's the way it seems to be everywhere.

To justify this post in the SK board, am I the only one who finds the seat pitch on the SK A321s totally abysmal? Compared with the trusty old MD80s its a much tighter fit. A shame, since I really like the 'Buses. In this respect the AY Airbuses seem to win hands down.

Search this Thread