Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Why Only Return Tickets To Plesaure Fares

Old Apr 27, 03, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

STRANGE REGULATION
Why is Scandinavian Airlines not selling one way airtickets to pleasure fares?

FLYING JET
Old Apr 27, 03, 2:17 pm

www.flysnowflake.com
Old Apr 27, 03, 6:30 pm
Point_Chaser

Your only option would be if you are under 26 in which case you could book youth tickets one way...
Otherwise you will have to buy Return tickets. Again, this is to differentiate between different categories of travellers... Different needs, different willingness to pay. Mostly it's business travellers who are travelling one-way and SAS makes more money from selling a bit fewer one-way tickets at a much higher price than all of them at a much lower price.

Remember that if you're interested in several one way trips within Europe with SAS or its partners, you can buy a Visit Travel Pass for Scandinavian, Baltic or European travel if travelling from abroad!

Old Apr 27, 03, 8:06 pm

The reason is called "price discrimination". Take an Econ 101 class or read some introductory economics book to find out about it.
Old Apr 28, 03, 1:00 am
Original Poster

ONE WAY DOMESTIC

I would like to make some domestic oneway flights in Sweden and Norway in June-July.
Is it possible or must I buy returntickets?

FLYING JET

Old Apr 28, 03, 2:42 am

Programs: EBS
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Flying-Jet:
ONE WAY DOMESTIC

I would like to make some domestic oneway flights in Sweden and Norway in June-July.
Is it possible or must I buy returntickets?

FLYING JET

</font>
Maybe you could call SAS or a travelangency to ask, or buy a cheap returnticket and dont use the second one, I did it the other weekend CPH-AMS DKK 945. :-)

[This message has been edited by bjerregaard (edited 04-28-2003).]
Old Apr 28, 03, 5:17 am
Original Poster

SHAMELESS DOMESTIC PRICEPOLICY IN SWEDEN

I talk to a SAS office somewhere in Sweden about Domestic flights. A RTW airticket would be cheaper for me, than a few oneway airtickets around Scandinavia.
Ill rent a car and I will save enought USD
- by not flying - so I can buy a Mercedes Benz.

NOT FLYING JET
Old Apr 28, 03, 5:24 am

Programs: EBS
I know you like Thailand, so I just say like they do "Up to you"
Old Apr 28, 03, 5:39 am
Original Poster

They also say, no problem
Old Apr 28, 03, 5:40 am
Original Poster

THAI AIR and Thailand are two different things.
Old Apr 28, 03, 8:05 am
Point_Chaser

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Flying-Jet:
SHAMELESS DOMESTIC PRICEPOLICY IN SWEDEN

I talk to a SAS office somewhere in Sweden about Domestic flights. A RTW airticket would be cheaper for me, than a few oneway airtickets around Scandinavia.
Ill rent a car and I will save enought USD
- by not flying - so I can buy a Mercedes Benz.

NOT FLYING JET
</font>
I really don't want this to come out the wrong way, but I really feel that if you have come for help about finding cheap ways to travel and earn miles at the same time, then you have come to the right place. FT is an invaluable source of information! But here at the SAS board we always try to keep a nice and friendly tone...
And if you ask for help you will get several great replies 99% of the time (closer to 100% here at the SAS board I feel!).

I therefore suggest that you look at the first two replies that you received in this thread regarding different options to travel one-way flights, even though we actually don't know exactly what you're after.
If you give us some more information about where and when you would like to travel, I believe that you would find a lot of useful information from this board and all its members...

I will try once more to help you with some options.
Try the Visit Europe Pass or Visit Scandivia Pass (depending on where you live and where you are travelling from and with which airline).
You can purchase up to 8 coupons either before travel or on arrival to Scandinavia.
One coupon per flights.
Reservations for the first coupon must be made.
Change of reservation is permitted (if routing is changed, a reissue fee of USD50/EUR54 is payable)

The Scandinavian flights are priced as follows (Europe / Scandinavia Pass):
Domestic flights Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden - USD65 / EUR69
International travel between Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden - USD75 / EUR80

Certain exceptions on routes apply.

For more information, check:
Visit Europe Pass
Visit Scandinavia Pass

There are several other domestic airlines where you can travel VERY cheap one-way.
As we don't know where exactly you would like to travel, it's difficult to help you, but you can look at these:
www.skyways.se (On most routes they have a 300SEK internet booking price one-way)
www.snalskjutsen.com (from 290SEK one-way)
www.kullaflyg.com (AGH-BMA from 399SEK one-way)
www.gotlandsflyg.com (VBY-STO from 299SEK one-way)

As you can see there are many ways to fly cheaply within Sweden. If you are a member of SAS EB you will earn Basic (status) points on all Skyways flights.

[This message has been edited by Point_Chaser (edited 04-28-2003).]

Old Apr 28, 03, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Answer To: Point_Chaser,
Ive been seriously speaking 20 minutes to SAS by phone, concerning domestic SAS flights in Sweden, and after reading your reply, I presume that travelling on oneway flights by Scandinavian Airlines in Sweden is very expensive and fixing of prices are incomprehensible. Why?

Why are SAS not selling domestic oneway tickets for normal travellers (tourists)
to pleasure fares? Why must I buy a returnticket or a fullfare ticket, if Im travelling domestic one way only? For instance Malmoe-Kiruna tomorrow morning one way to pleasure fare with SAS.

I know many people are asking the same question. Dont blame me for asking this question. I can buy one way pleasurefare-
tickets by train, boat and by bus, but not by air ( read SAS.) Why?
If I like Thailand or not is not important. But Ill tell you. Thailand was a nice country in the seventies.

THAI understand my question, and are therefore selling oneway airtickets, refundable with very few restrictions to all kind of passangers, even tourists.
I dont care so much about Eurobonus points, as long as I get the best customer
service from THAI.

Why do THAI understand passangers need of
this type of one way tickets but not SAS.
I hope many frequent flyers agree with me. If not, its up to them, but I am sure about one thing. SAS must change their policy for domestic airtickets, even if they dont like. Wait and see. I am not working for SAS or any other aircompany, so no one can blame me for that.

Flying Jet
Old Apr 28, 03, 10:45 am
Original Poster

...I forgot to say something important. The SAS lady on the phone did agree with me.

Flying Jet
Old Apr 28, 03, 11:26 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum42/HTML/001292.html

Search this Thread