Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Accumulating mileage on business travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2002, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL,SQ

I seem to recall reading some statement, when registering for Eurobonus (in Sweden), about how one should not be using miles accumulated on business travel (paid by employer) for private use.

I haven't heard of people being reprimanded or prevented from doing that. No travel agent has asked questions. I don't know of anyone being monitored. Now I'm wondering if I just imagined it all?

Anyone seen this?

kempis?
Old Mar 13, 2002, 2:32 pm

Most of the members are earning the miles on business travel and redeem them for leisure.

Its the individual who are a member of EuroBonus, not the company and you earn points no matter who paid your ticket.

EuroBonus doesnt give out any information to your employeer and therefore its up to you as traveller how you are using your points.
Old Mar 13, 2002, 11:26 pm

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
Ahh, yes. This is actually a tax matter. The Swedish tax office simply wants you to pay fringe benefits tax on any free trip that you make using points that were earned from business trips paid for by an employer.

If you are either extremely honest or extremely stupid (or both) and you reside in Sweden, you should tell the tax office when you take a free trip using points earned from business trips paid for by an employer.

[This message has been edited by Austman (edited 03-14-2002).]
Old Mar 15, 2002, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL,SQ
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Austman:

If you are either extremely honest or extremely stupid (or both) and you reside
</font>
I wouldn't even call myself honest (let alone extremely) though I can be pretty stupid sometimes.
Good to know that someone else has seen this and I am not hallucinating.
Old Mar 15, 2002, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JetE:
I wouldn't even call myself honest (let alone extremely) though I can be pretty stupid sometimes.
</font>
That statement sounds extremely honest to me!
Old Mar 19, 2002, 2:29 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
There was a big article about this in the largest newspaper in Finland a while ago. It listed the 20 biggest Finnish companies and their FF policies - it was pretty shocking if true. Some companies had acquired the FF numbers and PINs of the employees and use the miles for company travel.

The funny part was this: "Who is getting the free tickets? This question wouldn't be asked outside the Nordic countries as frequent flyer cards are personal."

The are trying to enforce the same sort of tax thing here in Finland too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.