Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

EBG from Sweden to Australia on an economy ticket on SK, SQ + side trips on TG,QF

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EBG from Sweden to Australia on an economy ticket on SK, SQ + side trips on TG,QF

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2002, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG

This is not really a detailed trip report but I intend to write about my experiences and how well upgrades etc went. I want to see how an EBG is handled these days.

My main ticket is booked by SK and is on SK ARN-CPH-BKK then it's SQ BKK-SIN-SYD and MEL-SIN then it's back to SK for SIN-CPH-ARN.

I have 60.000 points in upgrade SK upgrade coupons to try and upgrade CPH-BKK and BKK-CPH. All on A340-300 aircraft.

I have pre-requested an emergency exit row on my 3 SQ flights (all 747-400).

My TG side trip is BKK-HKT-BKK booked in C-class. My QF side trip is CBR-MEL booked in Y.

SK did all the bookings except for the QF flight which I bought on the net. I did not request any pre-assigned seats on SK. They should know that I prefer the aisle - it's in my profile after all.

Let's see how I go ...
Old Feb 26, 2002, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Check-in at Arlanda.

Very nice agent. I show here my other TG ticket and get my bag checked-in all the way to HKT.

She asks whats seat I prefer. I say 'aisle'. She give me the ARN-CPH and CPH-BKK boarding passes. ARN-CPH is 27D on an A321 but, oh my gosh!! CPH-BKK is 43E on the A340-300!! I can't beleive it! Thats' the 4th last row and a middle seat. Mmmmm 183 available seats and SAS give an EBG customer 43E. What sort of statement is that making to a supposedly good customer?

I tell the agent that I intend to use 30.000 points to upgrade to business class and she notes that to the gate staff. I ask if there are business class seats still left and she says 'yes!'. So I hope it works. I'm after something in row 1 to 7 but I wonder if SAS will put me in row 8 or 9 which I've heard is not as good.

EBG lounge at ARN is crowded but nice. The flight ARN-CPH was fine. Funny vision shown at times on the A321. Whales and seahorses.

I'm at the CPH Scandinavian lounge now.

I'll ask the lounge staff now if my upgrade has cleared. It's 45 minutes to departure...

[This message has been edited by Austman (edited 02-27-2002).]
Old Feb 26, 2002, 1:52 pm

Location: Denmark, SAS Gold, Lufthansa Senator (GOLD ), KLM Platinium
Wow, What a trip ? What will be the total milage ?

Thank you sharing all your experiences with us, I look forward to them...

Maybe we should move our FT-get-together to SIN....

Have a great trip !!!!!

[This message has been edited by The-Longhauler (edited 02-26-2002).]
Old Feb 26, 2002, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Yikes! The Scandinavian lounge staff check and there is NO RECORD of my request to use certificates to upgarde! What went wrong at ARN? I saw the agent typing it in! It's only 35 mins to departure and the lounge staff now say that it may be too late.

I say I'm not impressed with 43E at all!

They ring to the gate. They look and my certificates and say that it should be OK.

Next... to the gate.

It might be a good idea for me to get a pre-allocated seat on my SIN-CPH flight. Just in case these things go wrong again.

Old Feb 26, 2002, 2:12 pm

Your flight might be delayed due to a storm/huricane CPH this evening, so they will have time to upgrade you ..
Old Feb 26, 2002, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

The flight is 15 minutes delayed. Time for my only glass of wine in the lounge. A wonderful Australian Chapel Hill.
Old Feb 26, 2002, 2:13 pm

Nice report Austman. Have a great time down under and I am expecting a trip report on how the Airbus was since I am hoping to ride that aircraft in late april.

Scandinavian FT get together in SIN? Well if could find some fares under 1000SEK like LON count me in.
Old Feb 26, 2002, 2:15 pm

In the news they just said that the storm will hit Copenhagen at 2300.. Hope you will not get to much delayed...
Old Feb 26, 2002, 2:18 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kempis:
Nice report Austman. Have a great time down under and I am expecting a trip report on how the Airbus was since I am hoping to ride that aircraft in late april.

Scandinavian FT get together in SIN? Well if could find some fares under 1000SEK like LON count me in.
</font>
1000SEK could be nice , are you going asia or US in april ???

Old Feb 26, 2002, 2:32 pm

US in April. SK transatlantic and then flying 20 segments NW domestic, I wonder why

Will most likely be at the Freddies in NYC on the 25/4 and see SK win a bunch of Freddies as usual
Old Feb 27, 2002, 12:37 am

"Will most likely be at the Freddies in NYC on the 25/4 and see SK win a bunch of Freddies as usual"

ARRRRGH ! I can't figure those freddies out !!
Old Feb 27, 2002, 2:24 am
Original Poster

I'm at BKK now.

At the gate in CPH I ask about my upgrade. A very nice agent takes 30.000 in certificates and says I have a choice of seats. I take 3C - an aisle but I could have got a window and several others all in rows 1 to 7. I'm one of the last to go through the gate but once on board I notice that all seats are occupied in the front cabin. Take-off was at 23.00 and believe me the plane was rocking while parked at the gate - such was the weather.

On board service was nice. No prision matrons this time. But it's a bit too slow especially after the late take-off. The main course did not arrive until 01.00. SAS is still using all plastic cutlery. As per usual on all long hauls out of Scandinavia, reindeer was on the menu. This is a mistake IMHO - it's not all that well accepted outside Scandinavia. Oh well, there was salmon too. And the usual excellent wines.

I think the business class buffet is a hit. I liked that a lot. A good selection of snacks and drinks and a coffee machine. The seats were actually better than I thought they would be. The 'shoe bin' on the seat in front is not quite at ground level and your feet (or at least toes) can get under it for a bit of added space. The PTVs are nice with quite big screens. The new 'kit' is just OK. Breakfast was very good. All in all, there's no reason to go hungry on SAS A340s long haul business class.

Next: My TG flight to Phuket. I collected my boarding pass at the Thai business class lounge here in the international terminal. It's great doing this because the international lounge is 10 times better than the domestic. When boading time comes, they bus you straight to the plane. Migration and customs are done at Phuket which is usually much easier than BKK. That is unless a charter flight has just arrived 5 minutes before ...

Old Feb 27, 2002, 2:48 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by The-Longhauler:
Wow, What a trip ? What will be the total milage ?
]
</font>
It should be 24300 status miles on SK/SQ/TG and 600 extra miles on QF.

Old Feb 27, 2002, 5:01 am
Suspended

Programs: British Airways Gold (oneWorld Emerald), Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Austman:

On board service was nice. No prision matrons this time. But it's a bit too slow especially after the late take-off. The main course did not arrive until 01.00. SAS is still using all plastic cutlery. As per usual on all long hauls out of Scandinavia, reindeer was on the menu. This is a mistake IMHO - it's not all that well accepted outside Scandinavia. Oh well, there was salmon too. And the usual excellent wines.

I think the business class buffet is a hit. I liked that a lot. A good selection of snacks and drinks and a coffee machine. The seats were actually better than I thought they would be. The 'shoe bin' on the seat in front is not quite at ground level and your feet (or at least toes) can get under it for a bit of added space. The PTVs are nice with quite big screens. The new 'kit' is just OK. Breakfast was very good. All in all, there's no reason to go hungry on SAS A340s long haul business class.

</font>
Your trip reports are always a joy, Austman!
Old Feb 28, 2002, 6:17 am
Original Poster

I'm in HKT (Phuket) now.

Please excuse all my typing errors as I'm doing all this 'on the run' so to speak.

I thought the 17.30 TG flight from BKK to HKT would include a meal service but no such luck. TG was operating one of their infamous 777-200s on this flight with a 2-4-2 configuration in business class and a 3-4-3 in economy. Business class only costs a few USD more and you get double EuroBonus points which is well worth it. Sometimes a meal is served but always the FAs and service are very, very nice. I read in Thai's magazine that over the next two years they would improve and standardise their business class. This is well over due - it's all over the place now.

I spent today on a beautiful island enjoying the sunny skies and +30 C temperatures.

Next is TG in business class from HKT to BKK and then SQ in economy from BKK to SIN and then overnight to SYD. We'll see if I get my exit row requests on SQ and how easily I can through check-in and what happens re my domestic to international transfer at BKK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.