Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Trip Report - BKK-SIN on SK in Business Class

Old Mar 12, 1999, 3:17 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Travelled from Bangkok to Singapore in SAS' EuroClass recently. This short two-hour flight is an extension from SK's CPH-BKK service.

The SAS EuroClass lounge was about a 10 minute walk from the departure gate. It is a smallish lounge, with Scandinavian design seats in dark blue and wood.

I was a bit disappointed by the seat comfort on board - all adjustments were manual, and looked a bit old. The arm rest of the passenger in front of me was broken, and the flight attendant had to fix it with a blanket.

Pitch was okay, but not great. Flight attendants were efficient, and friendly, but did not seem to go out of their way. Food quality was fine.

We left and arrived on time. I'd say a 7 out of 10.
Old Mar 15, 1999, 6:52 am

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
I'm fairly often on SAS intercontinental business class and I agree with you. It's a very good business class but the seats are getting a bit old now and they do not have all the gadgets that some other airlines do. Still, the pitch is good and was improved last year. I think that the service level on SAS is very good. It's not too overdone and has a nice sense of style. The food and wines are usually very good and I personally prefer the video walkmans with a movie library than the in-seat videos that other airlines offer.

[This message has been edited by Austman (edited 03-15-99).]
Old Mar 16, 1999, 5:36 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I've just come back from LHR-CPH-BKK return on SK and think they're DREADFUL.

They've imposed a one item carry on bag limite - regardless of class, size of aircraft or ff status. The staff forced me to hand over my small (international) wheelie as I had my laptop with me.

So - no clean shirt for when I got off, no wash kit etc.

The flight was 30% full and whole over head bins went unused for the whole flight.

I thought the staff were short perhaps even rude and the food - if you can call it that. The business class entree was ONE - YES ONE - kebab.

One the way back it was TWO SMALL prices of chicken.

I was stunned at how poor it all was and the seats and interiors are shabby and old. The seats are unbrearable.

Don't look to see me on them again. I'm off now to cancel all the SK sectors in my June RTW Ticket.
Old Mar 16, 1999, 6:53 am

Sorry to hear that Markie. I agree that SAS's 767 interiors are getting a bit old now. I suspect the 767 fleet is about to undergo a refit because they are replacing all their livery and the latest TravelBook from SAS is missing the photo of their business class seats. But the pitch is good and better than Lufthansa's and UA's 747s. I think the food is good, but they do not give you lots of it. Just ask for another from the buffet service - never a problem for me. As for the carry-on problem, well I think they could have handled that better if the flight out of London was lightly booked. But you only have to read the newspapers to see just what a problem carry-on policy is for lots of airlines and passengers. Airlines are even suing each other over it!
Old Mar 16, 1999, 7:17 am
Original Member

the two times on SK I flew business class the only notable criticism of the food was only the lack of a real dessert--there was fruit and cheese but nothing else. Oh well, that is why those Scandinavians are so long lived!!
Old Mar 16, 1999, 12:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
contrary to the experiences of Markie I ENJOYED flying business with SAS (Zurich) - Copenhague - Bangkok twice in the last 12 months.

on the longhaule-flight-segment SK food & service compares with SR, LH (and to my taste better then UA). I like their "chaine de Rotisseur" dress and behaviour too. As I said some weeks ago in a LH/SK comparison of food: If you are fond of seafood take SK, if you prefer meat take LH.
Old Mar 16, 1999, 12:54 pm

My experience tends to align with Rudi's. I found the food fine although slightly stingy (even though I am not a fish fan), but had no problems with the service.

------------------
Nick

Old Mar 17, 1999, 1:16 am

I'll be taking SAS business class from Stockholm to Chicago in a couple of weeks, so I'll report back then.

As far as their business class cabins are concerned, all but one of SAS's 14 767s were delivered between 1989 and 1992 so they're all around 10 years old now. From memory I think all the seats have all been changed once - they used to be more leather like. How long does a seat last? Because if it's 5 years or so, I expect they'll be changed soon. The entire fleet must consist of less than 1000 intercontinental business class seats.
Old Mar 18, 1999, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS
People travel on SAS because of loyalty I think. But yes, the seats are a bit dreary and the service substandard when compared to other European carriers. I flew AMS-CPH last November and was horrified to learn that the cold cuts 'meal' we got were served with plastic cutlery - and this was in their SAS EuroClass.

SAS starts their code-share with Singapore Airlines in April for the SIN-CPH flight. Any guesses as to which airline most people will go for?
Old Mar 18, 1999, 9:42 am

On European routes there's not too much difference between economy and business class on SAS except that business class usually get better meals and free champagne. It's changing somewhat now with the 737s - business gets wider seats like Lufthansa's.

I did read that there was to be an upgrading in the service to make it less 'plasticy'. It's really needed. LH is generally better and I quite like their City Class.
Old Mar 18, 1999, 10:12 am

Celestar340: It is no excuse, and I have no loyalty to SAS, but SAS catering was hit by strikes last November - they seemed to give the same cold meat and salad to everyone on every flight!
Nick
Old Mar 19, 1999, 6:19 am
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS
And those uniforms on SAS! Makes the Scandinavians look like the original Vikings or do I mean, Vulcans?

SAS' economy long-haul service is just about the worst I have ever encountered anywhere. I did a HKG-CPH-CDG (okay, it was a free ticket) and I just couldn't wait to get off the plane.
Old Mar 19, 1999, 6:59 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I agree with Celestar - I never want to fly on SAS ever again.

I wonder if there is a way of sacking a member of Star Alliance?!?

Old Mar 19, 1999, 7:11 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I NEED SAS (SK) - as I need LH. Otherwise there wouldn't enough european-StarAlliance options for me flying out of Zurich.

And I don't agree on SK's so called bad quality on longhaule-flights - they are in my judgement equal in ECO to UA and TG (and above VARIG) - and food is (for my european/swiss-taste better). And in business I rate service quality (including food) above UA and VARIG, equal to LH and Thai, less then AC. ONLY the seats are TO OLD in both categories.
Old Mar 19, 1999, 7:44 am

I sure don't agree either. I've done my fair share of RTW travel (about twice a year) and lots of European flights and I agree with Rudi. As far as European flights are concerned SAS is getting quite a lot of new 737s (12 delivered of 55 ordered and more coming each month) and has newish MD90s (8 of them). And I can't see much difference between their MD80s and AA's MDs (Super 80s) in the USA except that you get more space on SAS in economy. As for service on board - around Europe it could be better that's for sure. But intercontinentally - I just can't see what the complaint is - UA/LH/TG are no better (QF is but they are not a Star Alliance member).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.