Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

US with 100% EB points or AC with 25%?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2008, 8:46 am
Original Poster

I need some advice. I'm flying ARN-Montreal and the best prices for the dates I'm going (23rd July - 31st July) are with AC via FRA (LH ARN-FRA) or with US via PHL. The difference in price is maybe 700 SEK altogehter for me and my family, who are travelling with me.

AC is operating the transantlantic flight with a 777 and US with a 767. Flying times are about the same.

The ticket with AC is booked in "L" meaning 25% EB points, while the ticket with US is booked in "Q" meaning 100% EB points. I've been reading here that US flights ARN-PHL really is crap, but would it still be worth it considering we'll get a lot more points if we travel with US rather than AC?
Old May 12, 2008, 8:56 am

Programs: EB*G, BD*G, HH Silver, FB, AA, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold
Have you checked the prices what a ticket with AC in booking class giving 100% would cost? It's not necessary that much more expensive
Old May 12, 2008, 8:58 am

Programs: EBG (*G), QR Gold
Thats a hard call. US in Y was pretty terrible the one time I did ARN-PHL, I have not done AC in Y, but I imagine its not too bad on the 777.

If I needed the points to qualify I guess I would suck it up and take US, if I was over my threshold I would take AC.

There is also the benefit with AC that you don't need to transit in the US and deal with the TSA. That is possibly worth allot more then a few points.
Old May 12, 2008, 9:28 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

While US very old 767 is my last choice over the Atlantic, 100% points makes a lot of difference. I would choose US.

But like Someone83 says, to upgrade to a 100% points fare on AC might not be expensive at all.
Old May 12, 2008, 10:32 am

Programs: UA *G MM
US sells upgrades for $500 one-way, but that might become pricey for the whole family.
Old May 12, 2008, 11:20 am

Published AC fares ARN-YUL r/t (excl. taxes):

-L0MSHL AC L Round-Trip 664.00 (EUR)
-Q0MSHL AC Q Round-Trip 803.00 (EUR)
-V0MSHL AC V Round-Trip 943.00 (EUR)

And the routing rules allows all european gateways, via LHR, FRA, MUC, CDG, ZRH, AMS.

POS: Sweden
Old May 12, 2008, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), SAS EBG
Originally Posted by kjsaw
There is also the benefit with AC that you don't need to transit in the US and deal with the TSA. That is possibly worth allot more then a few points.
I definitely agree on this one. The fact that you need to clear immigration in US may be reason enough to avoid US. Especially on the outbound trip. On the eastbound you will clear US immigration in Canada prior to flying to the US and that works out well I think.
Old May 13, 2008, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Thank's everyone for the replies, and especially SK_RSJ for finding a fare with AC which gives 100% EB points. I've checked on seatcounter and there is plenty of seats in booking class Q. I didn't really think of the part with clearing U.S. immigration either.
Old May 13, 2008, 5:21 am
AHO

Little off topic

This trick doesn't work when you fly into YUL, but...

AC ticket which origin/destination is Mexico, fuel surcharges will be waived.
(at least it's not caluculated in the tax part)

FRA-YYZ r/t: 224 EUR vs FRA-YYZ-MEX: r/t 89 EUR.

So sometimes it can be cheaper to fly to MEX and stop at YYZ, instead of flying XXX-YYZ r/t.@:-)
(and it works well for award travel too.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.