Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Travelling with infant ARN-BKK in C

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2008, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G

We are planning our first long-haul trip with our little boy later this year to attend a wedding party in Asia (close to BKK). I managed to pick up an award ticket on the direct SK-flights (SK975 & SK976) for him and his mother (I will be on a Business Fixed ticket) and pre-booked 1A but I am still a bit curious - what is the bassinet like in the forward cabin and what kind of service/help is usually received from the staff? The young one will be 14 months at the time.
Old May 12, 2008, 11:04 am

The bassinet is the same in C as in Y+, very small, maybe too small for a 1 yr old boy I would say. Also they will need to stove it whenever seat belt signs are turned on.
If you travel in 1A and 1B the alternative is to make a bed on the floor if you can stand not to extend the foot rest fully. I would recommend that. The FAs can provide you with a blanket, pillow etc. Remember that air condition can be bothersome onboard for a 1 yr old for such a long trip.
My experience is that FAs do pay a lot of attention to infants with families regardles of class - they will happily heat baby food etc. Don´t trust the Nestlé they have on board, try to bring your own if security permits.
They also carry Pampers on board, at least a few years back. But again, I wouldn´t risk not bringing my own if he´s that age.
Also, SAS has cut down on toys, you will get something, but for that age not much. The LEGO plane they used to have was actually pretty nice.
Happy trip to you.
Old May 12, 2008, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G
Thanks for the input!
Too bad to hear about the small bassinets. We are of course hoping for a cabin not completely packed with people. If so, we will put him in 1A, one of us in 1B and the other adult in a vacant seat (hopefully in row D or E).
Old May 13, 2008, 9:44 am

Programs: EBG
Dont be to optimistic. SAS is upgrading people for points very often, so biz is full between CPH/ARN and BKK all the time. Last time I travelled there where 17 upgrades to biz on that flight!

But I cross my fingers for you!!

BFN
Old May 13, 2008, 11:30 am

When we traveled with our 16 month old (June 2006, EWR - CPH, r/t) we were told he was too old for the bassinet. We made due very well however, by using 2 children's sleeping bags and putting them on the floor with a pillow. We did let our son sit in a seat (C was completely FULL) and I could manage to sit on the sleeping bags. The lavatories BOTH have changing tables with 2 different brightly painted murals. We had to pay for his flight 10% of an adult fare plus taxes at the airport so this took a few more minutes. I would grab a banana and some bread in the lounge before the flight - you NEVER know what you will get on board!! All in all it was a great experience.

Enjoy your trip.
Old May 18, 2008, 1:49 pm

Programs: SK*S, Club Carlson Gold
ARN-ORD in a week in Y or C

Interesting reading since I am flying OSL-ARN-ORD-IAH (SK945) the 24th with wife and baby. I am booked in C and mrs Claes in Y+ with the baby.

I tried to secure a *alliance-wide upgrade for baby and mrs C but did not manage since SK say the load is too high in C to release any seats for upgrade. Hope to be able to upgrade at CI...

Does anybody know what the load actually is in C on that flight and what the chance for upgrade is?

I'll let you know the experience of travelling with an infant 7 months old in Y+ or C in a week or so.

Cheers

/Claes

Last edited by Claes; May 19, 2008 at 2:03 pm Reason: typo
Old May 18, 2008, 2:12 pm

Programs: EBG (*G), QR Gold
Originally Posted by Claes
Does anybody know what the load actually is in C on that flight and what the chance for upgrade is?
/Claes
From EF:

Code:
SK 945
ARN 24/05/08 10:15 AM 	
ORD 24/05/08 12:20 PM 	
Daily 81% / 18m 	
A0 C9 D9 J9 Z9 Y9 S9 B0 P0 E9 M9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 U9 K0 L0 T0 G9
Seatmap shows 18 unassigned seats in C, not that that means allot.
Old May 18, 2008, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Claes
Interesting reading since I am flying OSL-ARN-ORD-IAH (SK945) the 24th with wife and baby...
I´m on the EWR bus that day (without children), PM for cell if u want to link at the ARN lounge. Maybe you can borrow my black card for a few seconds
Old May 19, 2008, 4:28 am

Sounds great,

just sent you a PM.
Old May 21, 2008, 3:36 pm

Claes, how about this snapshot from Amadeus/EF for my EWR flight (I´m booked in V) for saturday:
-----------------------
SK 903
08/05/24 10:40 ARN-EWR
A0 C0 D0 J0 Z0 Y0 S0 B0 P0 E0 M0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 U0 K0 L0 T0 G0
-----------------------

Your flight doesn´t actually look as delicious:
-----------------------
SK 945
08/05/24 10:15 ARN-ORD
A0 C9 D9 J9 Z9 Y9 S9 B0 P0 E9 M9 H9 Q9 V9 W0 U0 K0 L0 T0 G9
-----------------------

I might volounteer to SK945 and UA to EWR for a Euro 600 voucher and C.
Old May 22, 2008, 2:02 am

Yes I saw that on EF the other day. Not sure if a full 945 flight would be good for me though, since it is my wife with no status who is back in Y+ that needs to be upgraded. I expect to pay her up with miles and then we need a couple of available seats in C. Or worst case, a couple of available seats in Y+ if I need to move back in the bus

And like you say, why not volonteer for Sk945 for a good 600... After a long wait in CPH a while ago I got 1,500 in vouchers and that is why I pay for mrs Claes ticket this time
Old May 22, 2008, 8:44 am

Programs: Eurobonus
What the web site says about Bassinets.... up to 9 months of age

Booking of baby cradles
When flying with us to/from North America or Asia you can book a cradle (bassinet) for babies up to 9 months old. The length of the cradle is 89 cm or 72 cm, depending on aircraft type. Please book it at the same time as your ticket. Booking of baby meals
Old May 22, 2008, 10:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Code:
Baby bassinets

Baby bassinets (BSCT) are provided on SAS intercontinental routes, on A330/A340, for infants who fit into bassinets with the below mentioned size.

Size of bassinet
The size of the bassinet is: * 75.5 x 34.5 cm / 30 x 13.5 in 
The maximum weight of infant: 11kg / 24lbs.
The baby cannot lie in the bassinet during take off and landing, due to safety regulations. 
Note: When requesting a BSCT, always inform passenger of maximum permitted weight of infant: 11kg / 24lbs.
An infant more than 10 months but less than 11kg:
Request BSCT and insert an OS-line, stating both age and weight.
E.g: OS SK 13MTHS 9KG/P1

Amadeus Input
NM-element and SS-element to be entered before the OS/SR
Entry: SR*BSCT/P2
OS SK 03MTHS/P2 (Age at travel date and without the word INF) 

Ediss Input
Name (’s) and Flight Reservation must be inserted before requesting bassinet
1. Go to Passenger Details Keypad (F6), cell 4 (Special Service Request)
2. Choose BSCT - Bassinet from the Extra Equipment list, and enter passenger and/or segment reference if necessary.
3. Enter Age of Infant in the Bassinet pop-up. 
Updated 26FEB08 09.31

source
Old May 22, 2008, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA, *A Gold, Hyatt GP, HHonors, SPG, Priority Club
Post Watch out for the 10% lap child charge!

For those of you planning to take a lap infant (i.e. no seat), please check with the airline if they charge for this: a common policy among US airlines is that on int'l flights (domestic is still free) they charge for the lap child 10% of a full price ticket for that class of service - even if you are traveling on miles! I don't know about SAS but I've heard some non-US airlines don't have this rule, but you don't want to be surprised at the airport by being charged 10% of a C or even F ticket - in that case you may want to downgrade and use miles for another seat in Y.

If you search in the Travel with Children forum there is much discussion about this policy - many people have been surprised at the airport by this.
Old May 22, 2008, 10:48 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The 10% INF fare is universal. Domestic flights are an exception. Many parents think the infant flies for free, so at checkin the airlines charge 10% of full fare. However if you mention that you have a lap child at the time of booking you can get the ticket at 10% of the fare you are on. It depends on the fare rules. In the worst case its 33% of the discounted fare for INF. SK charges about 100 extra for a ORD-ARN return INF in Business including taxes when booked together with an Adult who pays about 3000$ incl tax and fuel for the priviledge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.