FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   IAD, also in the future? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/817015-iad-also-future.html)

chris flyalot Apr 25, 2008 4:56 am

IAD, also in the future?

I have heard some rumors lately, that SAS my be considering to stop the CPH>IAD>CPH flight. Has anyone heard about this and is it likely?

The reason is that we use this very frequently and would need to find alternative flights. Better to have some time to do this, than be looking at the last minute.

I recall similar rumors 3-4 years ago, at the time the story was that United wanted the route.

Any assistance on insight you may have would be greatly appreciated

ksu Apr 25, 2008 10:42 am

Originally Posted by chris flyalot (Post 9630081)
I have heard some rumors lately, that SAS my be considering to stop the CPH>IAD>CPH flight. Has anyone heard about this and is it likely?

The reason is that we use this very frequently and would need to find alternative flights. Better to have some time to do this, than be looking at the last minute.

I recall similar rumors 3-4 years ago, at the time the story was that United wanted the route.

Any assistance on insight you may have would be greatly appreciated

Well didn't UA fly it a couple of years ago? AFAIR it was on behalf of SK.

miikka Apr 25, 2008 10:47 am

Originally Posted by ksu (Post 9631669)
Well didn't UA fly it a couple of years ago? AFAIR it was on behalf of SK.

Was it that when SK wet-leased it from UA while renewing their cabins?

ksu Apr 25, 2008 11:12 am

Originally Posted by miikka (Post 9631697)
Was it that when SK wet-leased it from UA while renewing their cabins?

I think so, yes.

Speculations about a possible UA/CO-merger belongs in a different thread, but I can't help thinking that using EWR as the primary connecting airport for SK in the US was better for load factor, having both a major tourist and business destination and onward connections served by the same flights, instead of splitting up the traffic.

OK, EWR is not the ideal connecting airport, but that certainly goes for IAD as well!!

Vunder31 Apr 25, 2008 11:40 am

Instead of only flying to airports mainly served by UA and CO, what about partnering with US?
CPH-PHL is probably not a good idea, but what about CPH-CLT?
That would offer connections in the south, and people could fly to ORD/EWR when they're off to northern U.S.

tommy777 Apr 25, 2008 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Vunder31 (Post 9631992)
Instead of only flying to airports mainly served by UA and CO, what about partnering with US?
CPH-PHL is probably not a good idea, but what about CPH-CLT?
That would offer connections in the south, and people could fly to ORD/EWR when they're off to northern U.S.

Don't expect SAS to partner any closer with US.. They looked at US new route to ARN as a hostile attack on SAS's home market :rolleyes:

laksko Apr 26, 2008 10:45 am

Originally Posted by tommy777 (Post 9634082)
They looked at US new route to ARN as a hostile attack on SAS's home market

Hostile attack or healthy competition, there are many views of the world :D

chris flyalot Apr 26, 2008 6:42 pm

EWR vs. IAD

I certainly prefer IAD over EWR, mainly due to frequent long delays in EWR. IAD also is (much) closer to my home and business, if I needed to transfer through EWR to get to CPH, I would rather transfer in Europe (FRA, MUC or even LHR). Likely I am not in the majority, but seems many passengers to IAD have onwards flights to FL, NC, GA - so at least IAD is in the right direction.

My concern is that they will (may) pull the flight with little notification, in which case I will need to find alternative route.

Any thoughts on how likely this is?

miikka Apr 26, 2008 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by chris flyalot (Post 9637454)
My concern is that they will (may) pull the flight with little notification, in which case I will need to find alternative route.

Any thoughts on how likely this is?

I don't think anyone can be sure about it but of course it is possible that SAS would pull the route quickly, they have done it before with PVG for example so it is possible. But we can also see that they have focused quite much to US routes anyway so pulling IAD is in my opinion less likely.

chris flyalot Apr 27, 2008 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by miikka (Post 9638020)
I don't think anyone can be sure about it but of course it is possible that SAS would pull the route quickly, they have done it before with PVG for example so it is possible. But we can also see that they have focused quite much to US routes anyway so pulling IAD is in my opinion less likely.

Good points, sure hope they decide to stay - it makes my travel from IAD>CPH a short hop, rather than multi-airport-transfer, with resultant loss of time. Last year I did at least 20 return trips, so even 4-5 hours in each direction quickly add-up

FT Guest xyzpdq Apr 28, 2008 12:42 am

With the intro of SFO as a destination next year (I hope they keep that promise this time) some changes may occur on the US routes - I would expet though that SEA would be the destination most affected - unfortunately - if any at all.

UA was in on the CPH-IAD-CPH route while SK upgraded their intercont fleet, as wet lease. Hardly a success, do a search on this forum on you will find adjectives on this that do have a very negative trend to it.

haakonks Apr 28, 2008 11:58 am

I have used the CPH-IAD route several times, last time was a week ago, when I traveled from OSL to MIA.

If SAS decides to stop flying to IAD, I hope that they will use the extra capacity to open a route from OSL to EWR or another major airport in the USA.

Someone83 Apr 28, 2008 12:02 pm

Considering all the various (and contradicting) rumours regarding SAS IC, I don't think people should pay much attention to them. With regards to SAS IC, nothing is sure before it actuelly happens, like the their "12th aircraft":rolleyes: