Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

How many EB points when upgrading with cash?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2008, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

If you do a cash upgrade at the airport when travelling on SK from the USA to Scandinavia, do you get EB points for your original booking class (e.g. W =25%) or do you get points for the class you upgrade to such as Y (150%) or C (200%)?
Old Apr 12, 2008, 1:27 pm
esv

Points according to original booking class, in my experience.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 2:01 pm

Programs: EBG
It´s always points based on the bookingclass you bought the ticket in.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 3:01 pm

Programs: EBG, Hhonours Silver, Starwood Plat, Hertz#1 Gold Five Star, Sixt Platinum, Marriott Gold
According to my experience and what i have been told by Eurobonus Customer service, you will recive points for the class flown not boked, as long as you upgrade for cash.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 4:28 pm

Programs: EBG (*G), QR Gold
My experience says "class booked". Whatever field in the system that is used to judge points earned does not appear to be modified by an upgrade (be it points or cash).

I have done a retro reg with a cash upgraded ticket, I sent the boarding pass which had the upgraded class on it, The reply I got was please provide a receipt showing the booked class.

As a footnote, I had the same experience with TG paid upgrade. Sent it in retro as nothing posted, and they asked me for the original booking class. In the end I got points for original booking class (and in this case TG actually told me I should get points for the upgraded class.)
Old Apr 13, 2008, 7:43 pm

Programs: SK*G, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by BHSA
According to my experience and what i have been told by Eurobonus Customer service, you will recive points for the class flown not boked, as long as you upgrade for cash.
I've done a few upgrades from M -> C with cash at EWR/BKK (with SK) and with TG at BKK. I've always recieved points for the class booked, not C.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 3:42 am

You get for class booked, never for upgraded class.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by kjsaw
I have done a retro reg with a cash upgraded ticket, I sent the boarding pass which had the upgraded class on it, The reply I got was please provide a receipt showing the booked class.
The Boarding Pass shows the class of service, not the booking class. Exception is the new style Boarding passes printed at ARN and CPH which shows both.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by SK_RSJ
The Boarding Pass shows the class of service, not the booking class. Exception is the new style Boarding passes printed at ARN and CPH which shows both.
I know this mate which was why they asked for more details. obviously the system said I was in "m" and my boarding pass said "c".
Old Apr 22, 2008, 2:28 pm

Programs: SK*G, FB Plat, BA-GGL
I see from your posts that you can upgrade for cash from US and BKK.
I asked them about upgrading for cash from CPH to BKK the other day and they looked at me as if I came from Mars. Both in the lounge and at the gate. Anybody know?

It is a nice option if you can do this when short of points.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Fnate
I see from your posts that you can upgrade for cash from US and BKK.
I asked them about upgrading for cash from CPH to BKK the other day and they looked at me as if I came from Mars. Both in the lounge and at the gate. Anybody know?

It is a nice option if you can do this when short of points.
Upgrades for cash are generally only available from non Scandinavian points of departure. Also, the place to ask when you can do this would be at check-in.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 4:39 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kjsaw
Upgrades for cash are generally only available from non Scandinavian points of departure. Also, the place to ask when you can do this would be at check-in.
Not generally. Upgrades are not done with cash from Scandinavia. Period.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 12:20 am

Programs: SK*G, FB Plat, BA-GGL
Originally Posted by tommy777
Not generally. Upgrades are not done with cash from Scandinavia. Period.
Thanks. I just have to make sure I have enough points
Old Apr 23, 2008, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Bjornstrom
I've done a few upgrades from M -> C with cash at EWR/BKK (with SK) and with TG at BKK. I've always recieved points for the class booked, not C.
Slightly OT, but may still be interesting:

I recently did a cash upgrade (M to C) on SK from BKK to CPH, crediting the flight to Miles&More. Although LH automatically only credited eco miles, I sent in the boarding pass and the handwritten upgrade "invoice" to M&M and got C miles without any problems. Same for a cash u/g on TG (FRA-BKK).
Old Apr 23, 2008, 7:30 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by Zaphod
Slightly OT, but may still be interesting:

I recently did a cash upgrade (M to C) on SK from BKK to CPH, crediting the flight to Miles&More. Although LH automatically only credited eco miles, I sent in the boarding pass and the handwritten upgrade "invoice" to M&M and got C miles without any problems. Same for a cash u/g on TG (FRA-BKK).
Maybe M&M mistakenly thought that you had upgraded the fare class and not just the service class. If you pay the difference in fare classes then of course you should be entitled to the points according to the higher fare class.

Usually when paying with cash/points it is just a service class, which is upgraded and not the fare class.

Most likely M&M wasn't too careful and you got lucky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.