FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   StarAlliance Gold member -- can I use the contract lounge at IAD? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/801490-staralliance-gold-member-can-i-use-contract-lounge-iad.html)

sbtinme Mar 14, 2008 12:22 pm

StarAlliance Gold member -- can I use the contract lounge at IAD?

Hi all --

I'm new to the world of SAS, but have a trip planned in about 6 weeks to CPH from IAD. I'm StarAlliance Gold through USAirways, and I know I have access to the *Gold Lounges at IAD (all UA operated).

However, I'm curious to know if I'm also able to use the contract lounge at IAD, which I believe is still the smallish NW lounge.

Not a big deal either way, but the NW lounge is far more convenient and would be my preference.

Many thanks.

gleff Mar 14, 2008 1:40 pm

Star Gold does not offer you access to a contract lounge.

Now, you could ask for a lounge invitation at checkin and perhaps leverage your *G status with the CSR...

sbtinme Mar 14, 2008 1:50 pm

Thanks, Gary.

I guess I should've clarified in my initial post that I understand that, by the letter of the law, there's no mention of access to contract lounges for *A members. However, given that there is no SAS lounge at IAD, I was hoping that others might've experienced some wiggle room given that the NW lounge is far closer to the SAS action.

As I say, either way is fine. Thanks again, Gary, for your post!

SK_RSJ Mar 14, 2008 1:51 pm

As you travel on SK you will have access to the NW lounge as *G, do clear this with the CI agent.

oliver2002 Mar 14, 2008 3:39 pm

NW needs some proof to charge SK for the service so they are reluctant to let people in without something from the SK staff.

gnaget Mar 17, 2008 4:02 am

Yes, you can. However, you need to get a voucher from check-in or the gate. If you are not starting at IAD then this could be a problem if they are not yet at the gate and you have a long layover.

LH uses the same lounge but you don't need any voucher.

BTW, Oliver, any news on the Senator lounge at IAD?

gleff Mar 17, 2008 4:12 am

Originally Posted by gnaget (Post 9421228)

LH uses the NW lounge for business class, and the Virgin lounge for F. On my way to the latter this evening, in fact. ;)

oliver2002 Mar 17, 2008 5:13 am

Originally Posted by gnaget (Post 9421228)
Yes, you can. However, you need to get a voucher from check-in or the gate. If you are not starting at IAD then this could be a problem if they are not yet at the gate and you have a long layover.

BTW, Oliver, any news on the Senator lounge at IAD?

No news so far (you live there?). The NW lounge for LH pax at IAD is discussed in a long big thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ght=iad+lounge

FT Guest xyzpdq Mar 17, 2008 7:26 am

Travelling on SK as *G you do have acces to the NW lounge. Normally you need an invitation which you either get at check-in or at the gate. If you have along lay-over you need to talk to the lounge dragon.

Do note though that the lounge is nothing special - and is only worth it becasue the alternatives in the concourse is so poor. I miss the days when you had access to the Clubhouse.

tommy777 Mar 18, 2008 7:58 am

Originally Posted by OFFlyer (Post 9421735)
I miss the days when you had access to the Clubhouse.

So do I... What a great lounge! I usually had dinner there before the flight instead of eating on board

FT Guest xyzpdq Mar 18, 2008 9:59 am

Originally Posted by tommy777 (Post 9427087)
So do I... What a great lounge! I usually had dinner there before the flight instead of eating on board

Don't make me sob over those days - the nachos with a drink made and served at the table by the bartender was just a great way to finish off a couple of busy days in the States. It was a wake-up call to be directed to the NW lounge the first time (or was there on in-between?).

gleff Mar 18, 2008 1:29 pm

Was in the VS Clubhouse yesterday. Really quite lovely. A bit limited by VS standards, it's a very small lounge and the CSRs are rather concerned that you leave your carryon with them rather than crowd the lounge with it at your seat. But any place at IAD with showers, a menu, and someone to serve you is a step above for those of us used to the UA RCCs. :eek:

It's really quite nearby the Air France/ANA lounge which is not nearly as nice. The one positive about that lounge is that you board the plane directly without re-entering the terminal.

But otherwise the VS Clubhouse is tops for IAD.

gnaget Mar 20, 2008 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by gleff (Post 9428830)
Was in the VS Clubhouse yesterday. Really quite lovely. A bit limited by VS standards, it's a very small lounge and the CSRs are rather concerned that you leave your carryon with them rather than crowd the lounge with it at your seat. But any place at IAD with showers, a menu, and someone to serve you is a step above for those of us used to the UA RCCs. :eek:

It's really quite nearby the Air France/ANA lounge which is not nearly as nice. The one positive about that lounge is that you board the plane directly without re-entering the terminal.

But otherwise the VS Clubhouse is tops for IAD.

When I was there prior to a LH flight then I was the only person in there for most of the time. This was before the 20:00 MUC flight. Maybe a gap in the VS schedule.