Wiki Posts
Search

Economy-Extra

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2007, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Economy-Extra

I will be flying DFW to CPH next summer. I have never flown on SAS before but am considering trying them. Is it worth the difference in airfare to pay for Economy-Extra instead of Economy?
Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:49 pm

Programs: too many to list
Depends a lot on how much the difference is. If the difference is only a few hundreds of $, it might be worth it, but anything more than that and I'd probably pass and try to upgrade with points instead. This assuming that you are paying yourself, of course.

In Economy Extra you get:
  • Wider seats, 7 in a row (economy is 8 in a row)
  • More legroom
  • In-seat power
  • Unlimited complimentary alcoholic drinks
  • Two meal options
  • 150% points, if crediting to SAS Eurobonus (economy is 25% or 100%, depending on fare class

Just remember that it is nowhere near a Business class product.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by ramo
Just remember that it is nowhere near a Business class product.
True, but it is also a totally different class than economy - also in cabin ambience. It is not like i.e. UA Y and Y+ in comparison.

Do remember that you can only do points upgrade with SK EuroBonus points.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 5:40 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
I would say definately yes to this. You can buy an upgrade for $250 at the desk iirc, but, this is on an availability/firstcomefirstserved basis and it can fill up quite quick.

Economy Extra is far more tolerable than economy, and as others said, you get your own cabin with much more room and AVOD screen. Havent flown longhaul on SAS for a bit but the last time i did the seat cushions in economy were almost worn out...
Old Sep 17, 2007, 10:26 am

The FAs are really treating Economy Extra as a premium cabin, the service is the biggest difference in my opinion. If you are connecting intra Scandinavia you will get premium cabin too (along with c-pax).
And they serve ice cream in Extra on long haul day flights. And unlimited NF champagne (at least untill they run out of it - at least that is what I was told on my last Y trip from EWR ).
Old Sep 17, 2007, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Thanks. I think we may give it a try.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 1:49 pm

Note that SK now have B-fares (BXXXTRA) which is Economy Extra Restricted (if u don´t need the flexibility). Can be combined with any fare on a one way basis such as L (Economy Diso....ed) going out and B back or Z (Biz Restricted) out and B going back etc.
You need to call to make those bookings as far as I know.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by SK_RSJ
Note that SK now have B-fares (BXXXTRA) which is Economy Extra Restricted (if u don´t need the flexibility). Can be combined with any fare on a one way basis such as L (Economy Diso....ed) going out and B back or Z (Biz Restricted) out and B going back etc.
You need to call to make those bookings as far as I know.
Agree about the NF. Usually go through 4-5 bottles on a flight.

S fares were/are typically restricted so this is nothing new. The good thing is that (I assume) if you buy a B fare from UA then they will now seat you in Y+. Before an unrestricted economy ticket from UA in B (and same price to the penny as SK's Y) would seat you in M class!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.